Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back Arrow - click twice?

Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I noticed that when I viewed a thread and then pressed the back arrow it does nothing.  If I click the back arrow the second time it works and takes me back to discussion.

Thinking it might by my computer I shut it down last night.  But same problem occurs today.  Not every time, but say 90% of the time.

I can see the page icon blink on the first click and on the second click it does the "loading" message.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I noticed the same things since a few days.

[Windows 7, Firefox 11.0]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also using Win7 and Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still happening, and it is extremely irritating!

But is it only the two of use who are experiencing this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing it in Firefox/Mac... Tomorrow I'll check in my Win portable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been happening to me on multiple machines. I generally use SeaMonkey as my browser. I often will go up to the back button (or alt-left arrow that does the same thing) and when I just scan over the button I get a little JavaScript type notice that does not work. If I wait until it shows "Go Back One Page" it works most of the time. It is really annoying. I assume it is some recent change to the forums. I also tested it out in Firefox and IE. The same problem happened in Firefox, but not IE. I am surprised that a script would have been written that was IE specific. That is not a good practice, particularly for a company that is at odds with MicroSoft.

Apparently this aspect depends on the specific browser, but that suggests that the code has used some non-standard script for going back that is not recognized by all browsers. If Jive is as great as it is supposed to be, then such hickups should not exist and it should work in ALL browsers, not just IE and Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just tried several times in Safari and Explorer under Win 7. Every time I went back with just one click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it, and it worked.

Normally, I use the Up to button to get back to the same place in the forum, or the Bookmark to get an updated view from the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Chrome, on Friday, April 13 @ 4:00PM PST, the Back Arrow works, albeit slowly. It is like it takes a second, or two, to think about what it should do, and then the little circular arrow, spinning thingie starts and takes me back.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same; clicking the browser's Back button, or the keyboard's Back key - in 99% it must be clicked / pressed twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to those that checked.  Odd that only a few have this problem.

Been almost a week now and still have same problem.

Very annoying to have to click the back arrow twice after reading post to go back to discussion.

If I remember I scroll down to Discussion to get back, but usually don't remember.

Once is 50 tries it goes back on first click.

Seems like Jive should be able to fix this as it worked well 10 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite disappointed that nobody seems to be working on this problem.

The forums are quite unusable this way; all this waiting - and then: ah, yes, we have to go back twice!  Nothing on the entire Internet behaves like that, so it's not something we get used to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

I am quite disappointed that nobody seems to be working on this problem.

The forums are quite unusable this way; all this waiting - and then: ah, yes, we have to go back twice!  Nothing on the entire Internet behaves like that, so it's not something we get used to!

Unfortuntely, it seems to be true that nowadays nobody seems to care about things like this. Or these:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/975963?tstart=30

Also unfortunately, these forums do behave the chaotic way they do, so if one wants to use them, one has to get used to it. Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

This mnorning I noticed the back arrow worked correctly for a few times then reverted back to needing 2 clicks.

Then went to disk clean up and deleted temp file.  Again it worked correctly once, then back to 2 clicks.

Not enough of a computer geek to see the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be that difficult to fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

It can't be that difficult to fix???

As I said in my last message above, in my opinion the problem is that nowadays nobody cares for these small problems affecting the forums, no matter how easy they may be to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for about 3 weeks now.  Firefox support suggested checking the add-ons through safe-mode to see if an add-on was causing the problem.  That didn't help.  They also suggested downloading the new Firefox 12 (I was using Firefox 11/Windows7).  That didn't help either. I tried clearing the cache. No help.  I noticed on the Firefox forum site that someone asked a question regarding the 'two click' back page problem, 4 months ago. I have now noticed that this is happening on one site, MSNBC, but not on the other news sites I frequent or anyplace else.   Now I just double click when I'm on that news site. It was happening before on the CBS News site and fine on the MSNBC.  Try and figure that one out...   It's very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scout, I do see what you are seeing.  I have to double click on some sites and not on others.

Also, in Adobe forums, seems like on the first back arrow click if works, than after that if requires 2 clicks.  If I revist site same thing, first back arrow click works, then takes 2. 

Not a computer geek, but seems like it is filling up a buffer on first click and then not resetting until you migrate away from site.

Let us know if you find solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scout123456 wrote:

I have had this problem for about 3 weeks now.  Firefox support suggested checking the add-ons through safe-mode to see if an add-on was causing the problem.  That didn't help.  They also suggested downloading the new Firefox 12 (I was using Firefox 11/Windows7).  That didn't help either. I tried clearing the cache. No help.  I noticed on the Firefox forum site that someone asked a question regarding the 'two click' back page problem, 4 months ago. I have now noticed that this is happening on one site, MSNBC, but not on the other news sites I frequent or anyplace else.   Now I just double click when I'm on that news site. It was happening before on the CBS News site and fine on the MSNBC.  Try and figure that one out...   It's very annoying.

I've had this problem with some news sites (CNEWS), but not others (BBC) as well. We can still blame Jive though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had trouble finding this discussion and created a new one at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4384185#4384185. In any case, I found that it varies depending on whether you have added a comment or not. This difference seems to be a rather new change. Curt Y commented that the result seems to be not just an issue for the Adobe forums and seems to suggest it is an issue with the Jive software itself with some update back around the middle of April.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Apple forums got the same malfunction at around the same time these forums here did, and the Apple Discussion boards also run on Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y  Believe me, I am no computer geek.  Wish I was.  It's just trial and error for me and a lot of research.  The buffer possibility seems like a good guess.  I've emptied the cache and everything is fine until I go back to the site that I have problems with a second time and then it's back click twice again.  The first time at the site, after emptying the cache, seems to be okay.

Firefox also sent me back a 'try refreshing profile'. I checked into out. Absolutely not, that's way out of my league. I get nervous when I have to clear the cache, history, etc.

I've also checked IE, which I don't use often, and there is no problem with the back button, even on the MSNBC site.   Check out Bill@VT post. 

I wonder if this is another Windows 7 glitch along with the jumping screen problem (a lot of the jumping screen seemed to be on laptops, but I have a desktop).  Also, depending on how you Google the 'back button' problem, you come up with people that had this problem in 2011 and I think I saw some in 2010.  I never had these  problems (back button and jumping screen) with Windows XP.  

Right back at ya with the, 'Let us know if you find solution'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my downloads, add ons and anything else I could check on my  computer to see if I was running Jive.  I'm not.  So maybe it's not Jive. Do all of you have Jive downloaded on your computers? And what exactly is Jive (make it simple otherwise it's lost to me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive is company that makes the Adobe Forums.  Look at small print on bottom of window - Adobe Froum powered by Jive - - - - .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in post #7, it worked for me, but only until the New Skin was applied.

Now I have to click the Back Arrow twice, too, sometimes even thrice.

As I reported in post #48 in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/999431?start=0&tstart=0

Before all this, there were a few reports that the browser Back Button way of returning to the forum list (or somewhere else) required hitting the button twice.

Now I seem to have it too (Firefox):

First time I press it, the Reload current page arrow spins counterclockwise for a moment, then  settles for the page/thread where I am,

Second time I press it, the Reload is normal, and I get to the forum page.

Edit: And then a twist:

After a second cache clearing, I did get somewhere first time I pressed the browser Back Button, only it was somewhere else:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4382763/edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines