Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

So close but need help comparing strings in different subforms with for loop - Livecycle ES

Level 4

For some reason I was not able to post this in the Livecycle ES forum, even though I've posted there often in the past.

I have created a form that I almost have working and I'm hoping someone can help me.

We have eight billing teams in our company and each team works anywhere from 1 - 4 different clients. The form is used to track, per Billing Rep, the number of items of mail that each billing r5ep works each day. What I'm needing to add at the bottom is a subform that tracks the totals by client. So I'm trying to get the form to loop through all of the existing subforms (and the subforms within them) and compare a cell int he bottom subform to a cell in the other subforms, which are dynamically added, and then total ONLY those items. My script however is not working.

What I have now is:

var repCount = form1.P1._rep.count

var itemCount = form1.P1.rep._ItemSet.count

for (x=0; x<repCount; x++)

{

for (i=0; i<itemCount; i++)

{

if(clientName.rawValue == P1.rep[x].ItemSet[i].client.rawValue)

{

this.rawValue = this.rawValue + P1.rep[x].ItemSet[i].corresp.rawValue;

}

}

}

It seems like this should work but I'm getting the following error:

P1.rep[x] is undefined

So what it looks like is I'm missing is the proper way to reference the objects in these subforms.

The form is here: https://acrobat.com/#d=20gWXZ4sBm4OPV6oO76zSg

If someone could take a look at it I would be so grateful.

Thanks,

Jo

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I don't know that anyone else will ever have a similar problem as what I was having, but I figured I would go ahead and post the solution, just in case....

The error I was getting (P1.resolveNode("rep[" + j + "].ItemSet[" + i + "]") is null) was occuring because the variable itemCount needed to be referenced within the repCount For Loop. I also needed to resolve the node for the itemCount, which I wasn't doing.

So...my old code was this:

var repCount = P1._rep.count;

var itemCount = P1.rep._ItemSet.count;   //this part was throwing the error. Needed to use resolveNode...and needed to not declare the variable until inside the first For Loop.

var nTotal = 0;

for (var j=0; j<repCount; j++) {

for (var i=0; i<itemCount; i++)    {

if (P1.resolveNode("rep["+ j +"].ItemSet["+ i +"]").client.rawValue == clientName.rawValue) {

nTotal = nTotal + P1.resolveNode("rep["+ j +"].ItemSet["+ i +"]").corresp.rawValue;

}

}

}

this.rawValue = nTotal;

...which wasn't working because it was trying to reference the count of the ItemSet right up front...but it needed to wait until it got inside the first iteration of the repCount subfields...AND it needed to have resolveNode used.

The corrected code is:

this.rawValue = 0;

var itemCount = P1.resolveNode("rep["+j+"]")._ItemSet.count;  //corrected code...node is resolved and variable is declared within the first subform repCount.

if (P1.resolveNode("rep["+ j +"].ItemSet["+ i +"]").client.rawValue == clientName.rawValue) {

this.rawValue = this.rawValue + P1.resolveNode("rep["+ j +"].ItemSet["+ i +"]").corresp.rawValue;

}

}

}

...which now works perfectly...and I'm throwing a party to celebrate! LOL

Jo

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 5

Sorry I cant see your document link - probably have to publish it first. However from looking at the script you are using array notation in javascript to access object collections. The hierarchy object model is not a javascript array but rather a collection of dom objects even though the som expressions use them as accessors in formcalc for example.

clientName.rawValue == P1.rep[x].ItemSet[i].client.rawValue

would be invalid javascript since rep is not an array. Probably would need to be P1.resolveNode("rep[x].ItemSet[i]").client.rawValue

Level 4

Thanks for your help. I published it here:

https://acrobat.com/#d=20gWXZ4sBm4OPV6oO76zSg

Can you try again.

Also, I have updated the script as you suggested to this:

var repCount = form1.P1._rep.count

var itemCount = form1.P1.rep._ItemSet.count

for (var x=0; x < repCount; x++)

{

for (var i=0; i < itemCount; i++)   

{

if (P1.resolveNode("rep["+x+"].ItemSet["+i+"]").client.rawValue == clientName.rawValue);

{

this.rawValue = this.rawValue + form1.P1.resolveNode("rep["+x+"].ItemSet["+i+"]").corresp.rawValue;

}

}

}

Now, when I run it, it gives me totals, but it puts the same totals into both fields.

Level 5

Your if statement has a ; at the end basically making the test redundant and executing the code block following at all times. You also should not do - this.rawValue = this.rawValue + ... since it will keep adding on every calculate. Start from 0 in a local variable and assign it to the rawValue at the end.

Level 4

Thank you so much! I have it working now...EXCEPT...when I add some numbers to that first column, and then add another rep using the "Add Billing Rep" button, I get an error that says:

"P1.resolveNode("rep[" + x + "].ItemSet[" + i + "]") is null".

If I add some additional reps before I enter any numbers, it only includes the most recently added numbers.

The updated form is here: https://acrobat.com/#d=nLDPPNd7fKXPYsnH2Z*oyA

Any idea what I'm missing?

Thank you muchly.

Jo

Level 10

Hi,

Have a look at this version. https://acrobat.com/#d=xScv0bjZI7SjvjsyG7ZUrQ.

I have used a variable to keep track of the subtotal and then apply that after the loops.

Also I would not use x as a variable name, as it is a reserved word.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 4

Thank you for following up with me on this Niall...I really like how automated that is. However, I'm getting an error.  If I add values to the first column for the first billing rep, then add another billing rep, I get the following error:

P1.resolveNode("rep[" + j + "].ItemSet[" + i + "]") is null

7:XFA:form1[0]:clientTotals[0]:correspTotal[0]:calculate

TypeError: P1.resolveNode("rep[" + j + "].ItemSet[" + i + "]") is null

7:XFA:form1[0]:clientTotals[0]:correspTotal[0]:calculate

7:XFA:form1[0]:clientTotals[1]:correspTotal[0]:calculate

7:XFA:form1[0]:clientTotals[1]:correspTotal[0]:calculate

7:XFA:form1[0]:clientTotals[2]:correspTotal[0]:calculate

7:XFA:form1[0]:clientTotals[2]:correspTotal[0]:calculate

What does this mean?

Also, the totals for the billing reps added after the first one are not added to the totals at the bottom...sometimes. It's really strange behavior. Sometimes it will add the totals at the bottom and sometimes it throws an error.

Joanne

Level 4

Here is what I have working so far. I'm getting a big error when I open the file. And some totals for some reason just aren't making it to the grand totals section at the bottom.

In this file....https://acrobat.com/#d=cP07gIScGXyacqca6Rcmyg

I get these results. It looks like it totals at the bottom for additional billing reps sometimes, but not all the time:

Clipboard01.jpg

And, in the file which you worked for me Niall, it's throwing the errors I noted above, and also not totalling for any additional billing reps:

Clipboard02.jpg

I am so at a loss as to how to work this out. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me figure out how these glitches are occuring. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jo

Level 10

Sorry Jo,

But I am out of the office this week and can¹t get to have another look at

your form. I will have a look as soon as I can.

Niall

Level 4

Thanks Niall. I will patiently wait for your expertise! My supervisor extended the go-live date anyway to May 1st, so I have a little time to *hopefully* figure this out! Thank you in advance for any help you can give when you return.

Jo

Correct answer by
Level 4

I don't know that anyone else will ever have a similar problem as what I was having, but I figured I would go ahead and post the solution, just in case....

The error I was getting (P1.resolveNode("rep[" + j + "].ItemSet[" + i + "]") is null) was occuring because the variable itemCount needed to be referenced within the repCount For Loop. I also needed to resolve the node for the itemCount, which I wasn't doing.

So...my old code was this:

var itemCount = P1.rep._ItemSet.count;   //this part was throwing the error. Needed to use resolveNode...and needed to not declare the variable until inside the first For Loop.

var nTotal = 0;

nTotal = nTotal + P1.resolveNode("rep["+ j +"].ItemSet["+ i +"]").corresp.rawValue;

}

}

}

this.rawValue = nTotal;

...which wasn't working because it was trying to reference the count of the ItemSet right up front...but it needed to wait until it got inside the first iteration of the repCount subfields...AND it needed to have resolveNode used.

The corrected code is:

this.rawValue = 0;

var itemCount = P1.resolveNode("rep["+j+"]")._ItemSet.count;  //corrected code...node is resolved and variable is declared within the first subform repCount.

this.rawValue = this.rawValue + P1.resolveNode("rep["+ j +"].ItemSet["+ i +"]").corresp.rawValue;

}

}

}

...which now works perfectly...and I'm throwing a party to celebrate! LOL

Jo