11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2012 3:05 AM by rode40 RSS

VIDEO FILE FORMAT

rode40 Community Member

I am about 25% into a project (my son's wedding).  Following the recent purchase of Steve Grisetti's excellent book, "The Muvipix Guide to Pr. Elemnts" I am now a little confused regarding the video file format to use.  Most of the clips saved to my PC from my Camcorder (Panasonic SDR-S15)  appear as MOV.MOD files, some as MPEG and one as a WMV file.

When I first started this project (my first with Pr.El 7.0) I didn't realise the importance of using the best format so simply imported the files as they were.

My question therefore is can I use all of these without having to convert to say AVI files.

• 1. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Glad you're finding the book helpful, rode!

Your camcorder shoots in standard def and saves your files as MPGs. Your video from this cam should not be in any other format.

Make sure that when you start your Premiere Elements project, you select the option for Hard Disk Camcorder/standard definition.

Then plug your camcorder into your computer with a USB plug and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/from Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder tool to import the files from the camcorder to your computer and your project.

Don't capture the video using any other software (such as Windows MovieMaker) or you'll have problems using it in Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
            the_wine_snob Community Member

PrE does not do a good job with many mixed format/CODEC Projects.

If you are doing an SD Project, for say delivery via DVD-Video, I would convert all formats to DV-AVI for the ultimate editing experience.

However, if you have a majority of material, in one particular format/CODEC, especially if you are doing an HD Project, for say delivery via BD (Blu-ray Disc), then I would settle on using a Preset for that material, and converting the rest to that format, or as close, as is possible.

One can mix some formats/CODEC's, but the less of that, the better. The closer those files are to each other, the fewer potential problems down the road.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
              rode40 Community Member

Hi Steve, Hi Bill

Thank you for your replies 11th April.  Apologies for not getting back to you earlier, I have been away on a short break. I have been trying to reply through the forum site but it won’t let me attach the word document referred to below so don’t know whether this will work.  Anyway, here goes,

I am still a little confused so I am attaching a word document “SCREEN SHOTS OF VIDEO CLIPS AND NEW PrEl PROJECT” showing four screen shots which I hope will assist you in answering two more questions.

(1) & (2) show how the clips appear on the camcorder and on my PC.

So-

Q1. Are the clips on my PC definitely in MPEG format? I have imported into my PrEl 7.0 project without making any changes.

(3) & (4) show screen shots after opening PrEl and selecting “NEW PROJECT” and then clicking “CHANGE SETTINGS”. In Steve’s book Page 24 -3 Select your Project Settings states “Project Settings at the bottom left of the New Project panel, will display the last settings you used for a Premier Elements project. 

So-

Q2.  Seems I have somehow got the correct settings for my current project.  Do you concur with this?

With hindsight I have come to realise that PrEl is a complex beast and that I shouldn’t really have started this project, my first, without the benefit of Steve’s book as I may have created unnecessary problems for myself.  I was beginning to think I may have to start all over again but I am hoping that this won’t be necessary. I would be grateful for your further advice in regard to the above two matters

• 4. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                John T Smith MVP

>Are the clips on my PC

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
                What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811
                What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
                Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen

shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing
                For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
                http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-

bars.html
                If you have a red line over the timeline after importing a video and before adding any

effects... your project is wrong for your video... read above about codecs
                Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information...

and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline,

which indicates a mismatch between video and project

>correct settings for my current project

See above about red line over the timeline... NO red line = correct setting

• 5. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                  rode40 Community Member

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. At the moment I feel that I am getting deeper and deeper into the mire despite the excellent support from yourself, Steve and Bill.

First of all I have read the various threads suggested but as yet don't fully understand the content.  Need to read a few more times. Secondly, I tried to attach the screen shots that I had taken by pasting into a word document but when I click Insert Image I get an error message (The content type of this image is not allowed). Can you throw some light on this please?

I have replied by direct email to Steve' sposting of 11th April with the screen shots as an  attachment (which appears as my posting 19th April) but don't know whether he received the screen shots..

As regards the line above the timeline it is all RED but at moment not sure what to do about it.  I will take your advice and install the gspot programme and see what queries it throws up in regard to CODECS.

My apologies if I am making things more confusing but take this opportunity to thank you all for your patience and information.  Really, the first thing I need is how do I create a screen shot that I can attach to messages? as I agree with you these are very useful in helping to sort out problems.  I await to hear further from you in due course.

Regards

Royston Harris

• 6. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                    nealeh Community Member

Your screenshots don't show up in this topic. If you browse the Tips & Tricks sub-forum Bill has written an article on taking, annotating and posting screenshots.

PRE performs best when its project setting matches the clips you have. Some other products suggest you set a project setting matching output format - do NOT do this.

To create the project as Steve suggests in Reply 1:

• Open Premiere Elements.
                    • Select File> New> Project.

1.png

• Click 'Change Settings'.

2.png

• Pick the Hard Disk option Steve described (use PAL rather than NTSC if your TV systems are PAL).

3.png

If you now put your clips onto the project timeline they should not show any red lines until you start working with them (e.g. adding titles, transitions, effects).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                      the_wine_snob Community Member

For others, here is the link to Screenshots - a Photoshop Workflow.

Personally, I like doing a Save_As PNG, as there is no compression, so not artifacts. As with screen-shots, we are often trying to read small text, having things sharp will be appreciated, and especially with people having "tired, old eyes," like me.

I also like to Crop the screen-caps, to just the important areas of the screen, as that gives the viewer a slightly larger image (when you click on it) to view. Just like Neale did above, I use rather bright colors for annotations, and also try to use colors that are not common in the screen-cap, so I use a bright lime green, and a bright orange, or red.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                        rode40 Community Member

Right guys, slowly getting somewhere.  Sorry to drag this on but have had a very busy schedule lately and this is the first time I have had the chance to pick up where I left off.  I have done new screen shots in accordance with Bill's article so hope they now show up o.k.

First screen shots are of my computer video files.

SCREEN SHOT 2  VIDEO CLIPS FROM PC-1.png

SCREEN SHOT 1  VIDEO CLIP PROPERTIES FROM PC-1.png

Both above shots display the MPEG logo. So,

Q1 Does this affirm that my clips are in MPEG format?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Next screen shots are of my current project.

SCREEN SHOT 3 NEW PROJECT.png

SCREEN SHOT 4 NEW PROJECT.png

So,

Q2 Are my project settings correct?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Next shot is my timeline.

SCREEN SHOT 5 TIMELINE-1.png

I can't totally eliminate the red line.  Wherever in the Timeline I place the CTI and then select >Timeline>Render Workspace the CTI always jumps to the same place in the timeline.  e.g. If I place the CTI marker at 00:15:35:00 defaults to 00:15:55:00 so I have not been able to get the line to render green for the full project.

So,

Q3. How do I correct this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Please accept my apologies for asking for answers to numerous things but unfortunately, with hindsight, I should really have had Steve's  book in front of me. Await your further guidance

Best Regards

Roy

• 9. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                          rode40 Community Member

Hi John

I have downloaded the GSpot programme and checked >System>List Codecs which has listed loads of different ones.  However I don't really know what to look for in the list to check whether there is anything missing.  A screen shot is attached which I hope will be of assistance.

SCREEN SHOT 5 CODECS.png

Regards

Roy

• 10. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                            John T Smith MVP

Actually, you want to have Gspot analyze your video file for information about that file

• 11. Re: VIDEO FILE FORMAT
                              rode40 Community Member

Hi John

I think I am now close to being able to close this posting.  First of all on first aquaintance the GSpot programme appears to be a useful little tool although I don't as yet fully understand what all the information gathered means.

I have analyzed all of my video clips and with one exception they are all showing as MPEG2 (Video) status Codecs installed, andMPEG-1 Layer 2 (Audio) status Codecs installed.  A screen shot of one of the analyzed clips below:-

GSPOT-1.png

The clip that I am not sure about is this one which is a WMV file:-

GSPOT 2-1.png

which states the the Codec Status is undetermined.  Do I need to change this to a MPEG file?  I thank you for your patience and would be grateful for further guidance and then hopefully I can crack on with my project and leave you in peace.

Regards

Roy