9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 5:48 PM by station_one RSS

Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??

CAB Diver Community Member

I recently found that my imac was infected with the Flashback Virus.

Ever since then, both CS5 and CS6 hang when trying to open them from Lightroom 4 or 3 using 'edit in.'

This is isolated to my imac since Lightroom 3 & 4 work as expected with CS5 & 6 with my macbook.

I have an appt with the Geniuses at the Apple Store tomorrow to delete the virus (Norton can identify it, but can't delete it.  So what are they good for?).

My questions are:

1.  Should I ask the experts at Apple to do anything in particular that can affect this problem, or

2. Will a simple 'uninstall'/'reinstall' for LR and CS5 & 6 be sufficient?

Recommendations from the Adobe experts will be greatly appreciated.

Chris Bernhardt

• 1. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Since we don't know the full details of the virus, we don't know how it might affect applications or how to clean it up.

Yes, you'll need to ask the "experts" at Apple about how to clean it up.

• 2. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??
            IceflowStudios ACP

CNET has a pretty good article on the malware. It contains information on how to tell if you have it, and how to remove it. http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57410050-248/mac-flashback-malware-what-it-is-and-how-to -get-rid-of-it-faq/

*If you are uncomforable navigating your system, it may be best to talk to Apple, or a certified professional. Sometimes more harm can come from these 'fixes'.

• 3. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I may also ask the Apple experts to uninstall/reinstall Java since that was the way into my system.  I suspect that one or more altered Java files may be the source of the 'hanging issue.'

I'll report back to the group after my adventure to the Apple store re: outcome.

This may be of interest to other unsuspecting mac users that also use the Adobe photoshop and LR products.

Chris

• 4. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??
                IceflowStudios ACP

Chris.

Having previously worked for Apple, going to an Apple Store with a malware issue may be a waste of time. Their Geniuses usually don't fix unsupported issues like that until Apple releases an update to their OS. Like I mentioned above, there's always the possiblity that something worse can come from 'fixing' malware. They may offer to completely erase and install your OS, but that might not be ideal.

I'd suggest calling AppleCare first. Speak with a rep to see what they suggest first.

• 5. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??

Howard - Thanks again.

I'll give AppleCare a call.

If you don't mind, do you have a recommendation for either a site that can recommend or a specific virus removal software that can eliminate the malware.  It seems to me that once that's done, the uninstall/reinstall for LR and CS5 & 6 should remove any corrupted Adobe files.

I appreciate you comments.

Chris

• 6. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??
                    IceflowStudios ACP

With Mac malware, it's tricky. Apple has a built in application that tracks/removes these files. They're pretty good with updating the system, but with any malicious tool, it's going to be a cat/mouse fight. When Apple catches this one, an updated malware will be around the corner.

Your best bet is to be sure of what you're downloading. If something pops up to inform you of a Flash Player update, close the window, and go directly to Adobe's website. Don't collect $200.

As with any malicious file that hits Mac OS X, you'll certainly hear about it from the various Apple related blogs.

• 7. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??

Howard, et. al. - Thanks again for your all your help.

Here's a quick status update.

The Good News - It's unlikely that I ever had 'Flashback' on my mac.  After entering the machine code recommended by F-Secure, the terminal found nothing consistent with 'Flashback.'  However,with the help of a tech support guru at Apple, we were able to identify the suspicious files in my Cache that had been identified by Norton Anti-Virus.  These were deleted and removed from my mac. 

The Bad News - after deleting these files, CS5 would still hang when launched from LR4.0.

The Good News - after an 'uninstall/reinstall' of CS5, it now works from LR4.0.

My conclusion - some code in CS5 got corrupted and needed a 'code-ectomy' to save the patient.

It's nice to have CS5 back to normal - and now on to explore CS6.

Chris

• 8. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??

Oh well, the story continues (after I confirmed that CS5 works as expected after an 'uninstall/reinstall').

I deleted the CS6beta and then reinstalled it.

I then tried launching it from LR4 and CS6 hangs. 

I then tried is from LR3 and CS6 works.

I then loaded LR4.1 and tried to launch it (all by itself) and LR4.1 hangs (never finishes loading the last photo viewed prior to quitting LR4).

I then deleted LR4.1 and reloaded LR4.0.

LR4.0 launched and it successfully launched CS5.

My conclusion - on my system there are two problems - one where LR4.1hangs and then another where CS6 hangs when trying to launch from LR4.0.

So for now, I'll continue to use LR4.0 and CS5.

I hope this helps with the development of LR4.1 and CS6.

I'll post this separately so it comes to the attention of other members of the Adobe team

Chris

• 9. Re: Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??
                          station_one Community Member

CAB Diver wrote:

…the suspicious files in my Cache that had been identified by Norton Anti-Virus…

Norton on a Mac, especially NAV (Norton Anti Virus) is very bad news.  That may very well be the source of all your issues.  Really.