Interesting. Which plugins, if any, do you have installed? If you temporarily disable the plugins and restart LR, is the log file still generated? See this post:
Also, where is the file being generated?
Another user just reported this as well:
He gave details of where the LrCatalog.log file was located (c:\users\<user>\documents), and with that I could see that I have one too and quickly figure out what's probably going on:
- The logging appears to be initiated by LR itself, not by plugins. It occurred without the presence of a "config.lua" file.
- The logging appears to come from the LR SDK's LrCatalog module, which provides plugins with access to the catalog. For example, these two lines:
03/17/2012 09:50:23 DEBUG initializing writeAccessQueue
03/17/2012 09:50:23 DEBUG immediate execution of "Tag: apply keywords"
correspond to the Any Tag plugin invoking catalog:withWriteAccessDo ("Tag: apply keywords", function). My log file had entries from other plugins that accessed the same SDK method.
- The logging may be disabled in LR 4.1RC. The last entry in my LrCatalog.log file occurred just before I upgraded from LR 4.0 to LR 4.1RC.
Hi John, I investigated a bit in this issue.
The" LrCatalog.log" is only generated when I enable either the MetadataWrangler or LRMogrify-Plugin (or both) and I hit the export button. The file is generated the moment the export dialog window appears (and any of the mentioned plugins are enabled). If both plug-ins are disabled and I press "export", no log is generated.
As I said in my thread, I encounter no problems except the log-file.
newest versions of the MetadataWrangler and LRMogrify
Win7 32Bit Ultimate (German)
The" LrCatalog.log" is only generated when I enable either the MetadataWrangler or LRMogrify-Plugin (or both) and I hit the export button.
Yes, that seems consistent with my hypothesis about what's going on: LR 4.0 has some logging enabled for the Software Development Kit module that let's plugins manipulate the catalog. That logging will only appear when the plugins actually call into the SDK to modify the catalog (directly or indirectly). This is out of the control of the plugins themselves.
It appears that LR 4.1RC has fixed this (at least on my computer).