23 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2015 8:50 AM by Danny Whitehead. RSS

User cannot create custom size postscript files

gsimpson2004 Community Member

I have a user in Snow Leopard, CS 5.5 who is trying to print custom sized docs as postscript.  She can do this fine in Quark, but when she tried in Indesign it either has "custom" greyed out or it generates a document that is still 8.5 x 11 and is chopped off.

My Mac background is not strong - what should we look at?

She says that she used to have more printers on her list than she has now, and another user is showing more printers in her drop-down selection.  But the printer the other user is using calls itself "Adobe 8", and if having Acrobat installed isn't enough to generate whatever the problem user needs, I'd need to know what to do.

• 1. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
          BobLevine UGM

If she can’t export to create PDFs she needs to come here and explain why not.

Going to postscript is a horribly archaic process is not recommended.

Bob

• 2. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files

I’m sorry, but they say that if you don’t know why it would be necessary to work with Postscript files, we’d prefer to wait for someone who knows more about what they’re talking about to respond.

Personally, I feel you should attempt to be less condescending and rude.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
              Larry G. Schneider MVP

You obviously aren't up on the changes to the Mac software. Check here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3588193

• 4. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Well let's back up. Distilling Postscript to make a PDF is old technology that is not required with InDesign, which has it's own PDF library that supports interactivity, layered files, and transparency, features of a modern PDF workflow that are not supported by distilling Psostscript. Quark users have always had to distill PDF because the native export function was essentially unusable, and many converts don't realize there are better ways.

• 5. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                  Daniel Flavin Community Member

You'll wait a long time for someone more knowledgable than Bob to say, yes, postscript is a good idea.

• 6. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                    Jeffrey_Smith MVP

This article may get you in the right direction.

• 7. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                      peter at knowhowpro Community Member

gsimpson2004 wrote:

I’m sorry, but they say that if you don’t know why it would be necessary to work with Postscript files, we’d prefer to wait for someone who knows more about what they’re talking about to respond.

Personally, I feel you should attempt to be less condescending and rude.  Thanks.

With all due respect, it would be considerate for whoever "they" are to state why in their situation, they need PostScript files, because there are many possible reasons. Some of them are old methods that have been replaced with newer ones. Some folks retain their old workflow habits because it's sometimes costly to change workflows, even if no new equipment or software needs to be purchased.

You and "they" should be aware that this is an unpaid volunteer forum; participants are regular users like yourself and "they," not Adobe paid tech-support folks. Also, the folks here are daily users and trainers, and this forum has the greatest concentration of accurate practical InDesign knowledge and advice anywhere.

The issue is not an InDesign problem, it's a change in recent Mac OS X releases.

Search Google for terms like "create postscript file on mac os x from InDesign" without quotes for useful discussions from Adobe forums as well as from non-Adobe sources.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 8. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                        BobLevine UGM

You’re most welcome.

Bob

• 9. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                          Jeffrey_Smith MVP

it would be considerate for whoever "they" are to state why in their situation, they need PostScript files

You are kidding, right? The OP does not have to justify their workflow in order to ask a question on this forum... and then be berated by the lynch mob.

• 10. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files

I don't have a problem with someone saying "Actually, what your user might not be aware of is that InDesign doesn't currently require Postscript files in order to generate PDFs."  Instead of referring to her workflow as "horribly archaic".  Let's show some respect.

I am the IT Admin here, and they are counting on me to gather information so that they can be working on other things while the problem gets solved.  They don't have time to participate in the forums so I am trying to assist them in getting a solution to the problem.  I forwarded the request for an explanation of why she was using Postscript and quite frankly she was so insulted by the way the question was asked she chose not to answer it.

Thankfully some other people have made more polite and respectful suggestions.

What I'm personally confused on is how this could be an OS issue and not an Indesign issue if Quark is still working fine?  Did the OS change in a way that would change how you do things in Indesign but not change how you do them in Quark?

• 11. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files

For what it's worth, I have gotten the information that the reason they generate Postscript files is that the final output PDF needs to be a set of separations that will be converted to printing plates.  The artists are unaware of any way to create the separations when exporting directly to PDF.

We will attempt something similar to this:  http://indesignsecrets.com/creating-postscript-files-in-snow-leopard-for-older-print-workf lows.php

• 12. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                MW Design Community Member

In general, most responders here (myself included) provide composite PDFs to our respective service bureaus and they separate the PDFs. That is what is meant by a "modern workflow."

However, I do work with a couple printers here in the US that run on a budget and need the separated files to burn. I use these guys for cost-effective two and three color work (which is great work). I have a 25 year relationship to both these printers and am not about to switch to another company just because they cannot / will not update their equipment and their workflow.

Other apps I use seem to be able to do seperated PDFs just fine from the PDF outlut dialogs. It would be nice to do so in ID, but at least in Windows the "old workflow" method is (still) intact.

Take care, Mike

• 13. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                  laurelch Community Member

That's not very helpful, Bob. I agree that .ps is archaic and a pain, but that isn't the point of this discussion. Please don't waste users' time by posting commentary that doesn't assist in solving the problem. I agree with your sentiment... I just wish it had been accompanied with a solution!

I have the same question. I have to send an ad to a printing company, and they have requested the ad to be saved postscript and then exported via Adobe Distiller to the correct settings. I have no idea why, but I am complying... Unfortunately, the ad was created as an A4. The non-bleed worked fine, but when I tried to create a bleed version (for these purposes, I resized the ad to include the bleed), it will not allow me to print a postscript file at a custom size. I can only do it at A4, which cuts off the edges. The custom page size option is grayed out.

From reading everyones' posts (thank you all!), it seems that maybe there isn't a solution out there yet specifically relating to the custom sizing of post script prints. Perhaps the company's request is just a precaution for people that don't have inDesign. I'll send the files with my normal export settings and hope they work with it.

Thanks!

• 14. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                    BobLevine UGM

That’s the point. There is none and there won’t be.

Nobody is going to expend resources on this. Whether you feel that’s helpful is, unfortunately, irrelevant.

This printer should be avoided like the plague.

• 15. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                      Laubender MVP

@agentpuddles007 – even in InDesign CC-2015 it's possible to print to PostScript with custom sizes set.

Just did this recently for testing reasons and as a workaround for a new bug in PDF Export with CC-2015 v.11.0.1. where OTF fonts with TrueType origins are ignored when used in placed EPS files from Adobe Illustrator (in CC-2014.2 no problem).

If for any reason your A4 format will not fit your size, you can chose a larger format, A3 perhaps, and change the PDF boxes (media, bleed etc.) with Acrobat Pro or Acrobat DC if necessary. What I did not test recently is to print to other sizes but 100%. But this should work as well.

Btw.: You'll need the specific ADPDF9.PPD in the PPDs folder of your Presets folder of your InDesign application folder. If the folder PPDs does not exist and you do not have the right PPD file you have to create the folder yourself and hunt for the PPD file on the web.

An alternative would be to export to PDF (PDF/X-4), place the PDF in a new InDesign document with the right size and bleed set and export to EPS PostScript Level 3 (no scaling possible at this stage, but you could use bleed) and distill the EPS to PDF if you have to.

Uwe

• 16. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You don't get to choose the printer when submitting an ad to a publication.

While I think those are archaic instructions and an exported PDF/X-1a file would be just as acceptable these days, if you want to distill and you don't have the ppd file Uwe mentions, you can download it from me at Download - Hightail.

• 17. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                          Danny Whitehead. Community Member

agentpuddles007 wrote:

I have to send an ad to a printing company, and they have requested the ad to be saved postscript and then exported via Adobe Distiller to the correct settings. I have no idea why, but I am complying..

I'd say don't. Export from ID using the same settings. They won't know. They probably just haven't got around to rewriting their guidelines.

• 18. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                            Laubender MVP

Hi Danny,

hm—they won't know?
                                            They could always tell from the File / Properties… -Description tab of an opened PDF file in Acrobat Pro:

PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller

or exported:

Application: Adobe InDesign

PDF Producer: Adobe PDF Library

Uwe

• 19. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                              BobLevine UGM

They won’t know because they won’t check.

• 20. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                                Laubender MVP

:-)
                                                I'm all with you in this case…

But I think, the OP should be cautious and not use a PDF setting that is against the instructions.

If the instruction say PDF/X-1a, use PDF/X-1a and not PDF/X-4 for example.

Could well be that the ad is placed in an older version of QuarkXPress (pre 2015) and PDF/X-4 could be an issue there.

Uwe

• 21. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files
                                                  BobLevine UGM

Yup. If X/1-a doesn’t work, it’s hopeless.

• 22. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files

BobLevine wrote:

They won’t know because they won’t check.

That, and they won't have the problems they expect or have been mislead into expecting.

• 23. Re: User cannot create custom size postscript files

Laubender wrote:

Hi Danny,

hm—they won't know?
                                                      They could always tell from the File / Properties… -Description tab of an opened PDF file in Acrobat Pro:

PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller

or exported:

Application: Adobe InDesign

PDF Producer: Adobe PDF Library

Uwe

Of course. I'd be surprised if they did, though. It's good to check for less-than-reliable PDF Producers on incoming PDFs, but it's seeing Microsoft software and Apple's Quartz (as one advertiser insists on going through - for ads created in ID!) that rings alarm bells here.