Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I could really use your help converting to mP4 files

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I really need your help in converting from the ".prel" file to an mP4 file in Adobe Premier Elements 9. I am new to this program, so I learned how to edit the videos but don't know how to do this part.

How do I do this? When I open my project file, the "File>Export" button isn't highlighted for me to select it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jennifer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

prel is the project file, not a video file

User Guide PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive

-the page also has links to help pages for previous versions

Steve's Basic Training Tutorials http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq

TIPS http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the export features, except for titles, are within the Share tab.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prel is the project file, not a video file

User Guide PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive

-the page also has links to help pages for previous versions

Steve's Basic Training Tutorials http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq

TIPS http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

That article was helpful, thank you. I guess I was getting confused because the ending isn't mp4, but .flv or .fl4. When I save it under that format it doesn't change the original .prel file does it?

Thank you!

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .prel file is not a video file. It contains 'instructions' on how to change the appearance of your video clips when Shared to a DVD or other output. Your original video clips remain in their original state.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jennifer,

That FLV output is because you chose Adobe Flash Media for the Export/Share settings. In the Settings Panel, there are scroll bars on the far-right, but they do not really stand out that well, and are often missed. To see all possibilities, just click+drag on the scroll bar, and more possibilities will be revealed to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - As Neale points out, PrE is a "non-destructive" editor, so the original files are not changed in any way. As for the PREL, it has no media in it, and only links to Source Files, and instructions in XML code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the info! So, am I correct in assuming that I don't want to save as a FLV if I want to upload to something like YouTube?

Also, I can't seem to find the Settings Panel! Could you be more specific as to where to find it? And where the scroll bars are?

Sorry, this issue has really been a bugga-boo, not sure why it's been so difficult for me!

Thanks so much Bill!

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FLV is certainly an option for YouTube.So is H.264 in an MP4 wrapper.

I normally Export to FLV, and have not noticed an issue with YouTube, but I am usually doing tutorials, or quick display material, so with my SD Project, it has worked fine.

Steve Grisetti has done the full Export/Share specs. for H.264, for YouTube in this FAQ Entry. Were I doing HD Projects, I would most likely use H.264.

For most Export/Share Settings, one will find them under the Advanced button. As for the scroll bars, look to the far right of the Share Tab's Panel. They are there, but not easy to see.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jennifer,

Here is a look at the Share Tab from PrE 4.0, but it should be very similar in your version. Note: in Share, Personal Computer was chosen, then the scroll bars manipulated to get to the QuickTime section, and then H.264 was chosen for the CODEC/Compressor.

Share_PrE.png

Hope that helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill! I took a look at that FAQ that Steve created, but had a question about it. How would I find him to ask him? Also, how exact do each of those specs need to be? I feel like I'm operating on faith that it will come out right.

Also, this all seems so complicated to make an MP4, why is that?

Thanks so much for all your help! I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neale and John T. have provided you with the answers, but for a little more background on the PREL (Project) file, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on this forum pretty regularly, peanut. What's your question?

There's nothing wrong with operating on faith. That's what we all do. We find the best solution and then we share it with each other.

Those specs will give you the best possible quality on YouTube, based on the experience of a number of people. Is there a reason you'd prefer not to use those Share specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the smile Steve, your response was cracking me up:)

You're right, there's nothing wrong with operating on faith:). There was no particular reason I didn't want to use those specs, I just have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm inputting those things, but I guess I don't need to know:)

I had a question about that FAQ sheet that you did. I didn't understand this last part:

1. From Premiere Elements, select the Share/Personal Computer option, then select the DV-AVI output option (either standard or widescreen).

2. Import this AVI file into Windows MovieMaker, place the file on MovieMaker's timeline and Publish (to your hard drive) a

WMV, dvd-quality (4:3 size) PAL 3,0 M.

Also, I don't have Windows MovieMaker, is that going to be a problem?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Windows, you have Windows MovieMaker, which used to be a great program for converting files. But not since Vista, when Microsoft redesigned it as MovieMaker Live.

I'm not sure how else to say (1) though. Go to the Share tab, select Personal Computer (or Computer -- it depends on which version of the program you're using), then select the AVI option with the DV preset. Is that not an option you're seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I will go back and check again on the AVI thing.

As for the Windows MovieMaker, I do have that, however, last time I tried to use it I encountered some problems. I will try again, but I'm wondering is this a necessary part of the conversion process?

Also, how long does the conversion process usually take?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how long does the conversion process usually take?

This will depend on three factors:

1. Duration of file being converted
  2. CODEC in original file and CODEC of the conversion
  3. Speed of one's computer

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill!

Also, do you know if you need to use Windows MovieMaker as a part of this conversion process? I know in the past I've had issues with it.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I seldom use Windows Movie Maker (have the old, non-Live version), as I will just convert WMV material to another format/CODEC, to suit the needs. However, I use a shareware converter, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 (older version from Deskshare), and it's not free.

I did use WMM recently, as I had 5 WMV's, that only needed a quick Trim and assembly into one WMV file. That was the first time in probably 6 mos. I also have issues with WMM, and it crashes often on computers that run PrE and PrPro with very large Projects, just fine.

Not sure if you need to use it, but it can be utilized as a conversion program, and especially for WMV materal. My older version will only Export to DV-AVI I, but that is close enough to work in PrE, or PrPro, in most cases.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have exported the .prel file as directed by the specs that Steve indicated in the FAQ sheet, but it is a .mov file not an mP4. How can I make it an mP4?

Thank you!

Jennifer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, and everyone else on this thread:)

So, this is turning into a bit of a saga for me. I have now resolved the part of saving the files (converting them). The problem now is that they take so long to upload to Amazon S3 that sometimes it times out before I have finished uploading.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how I could resolve this problem? Is there any way to package the file or zip it up before uploading?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Grisetti wrote:

If you have Windows, you have Windows MovieMaker, which used to be a great program for converting files. But not since Vista, when Microsoft redesigned it as MovieMaker Live.

Windows Movie Maker 2.6 works just fine with XP, Vista and W7 32 & 64 bit. It retains the export to DV-AVI that was dropped from the Live version.

Cheers,
--
Neale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great news, Neale! Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines