Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App release on playbook - platformer/side scroller

Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have just released my first game on playbook, it is 100% my creation made after hours and weekends. I am looking to get some feedback on anything and everything, be honest! I'm tired of my non-programmer friends  generic "yeah it's good"

Although this is a trial run of sorts, I listed it paid for now at $0.99, it currently has 16 levels and 1 world (more worlds to come)

There is no free version, no advertising what so ever, so I am not surprised downloads are very low so far. There is one review, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's from a friend.

Please give me some feedback on the website and demo video, or if you want to spare 0.99 go for it!

(links and names removed from this thread for SEO reasons, the domain and app are new to the world and no one knows it exists yet!)

LINK HERE

I feel it needs more levels and graphics to compete on apple/android, and I read a "proper launch" is kind of a big deal on apple. It doesn't have much comparable's on playbook, so I let it go there first. I also really like the playbook

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I learned a lot here and am looking forward to some suggestions!

pic.png

Message was edited by: boat5 EDITED LINK

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi boat,

It looks like a good game - well done! You've got lots of different gameplay in there. It looks fast too, but I assume that demo is being recorded on a PC?

I don't have a Playbook unfortunately, but you might as well put it on Android too. Is Blackberry accepting Android apps yet? I tried to put my app on Blackberry a few months ago, but it was way too fiddly, so I gave up.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video is real playbook game play captured from an HDMI cable and a capture card. The game is set to render at 30 fps across all devices, that is what you are seeing, but playbook and many other devices can handle 60 FPS.

You can do this by typing "fps=60" into the email address field of the menu. (doubles as a secret code area)

Another code is boat5 ( unlocks all levels)

It is ENTER_FRAME based, so 60FPS ticks the entire game twice as fast, and once you're eye see's 60, 30 looks like garbage when you go back! ...but yes even at 30 fps it's a rather fast game.

If anyone is interested in the capture card, I bought it for only $95 and it does an excellent job at making an app demo

Avertv HD DVR High Definition / Analog Video Capture Card PCIe MTVHDDVRR

It recorded HD streaming from the playbook very well, however other devices like XOOM and iPAD generate a copy protected message, and the venders software won't let you record. So you need to find a way around that or use a screen capture software on your computer, to capture the streaming video from your iPad (there's a youtube video about it somewhere)

monkey500 wrote:

Is Blackberry accepting Android apps yet? I tried to put my app on Blackberry a few months ago, but it was way too fiddly, so I gave up.

Matt

I believe they take the android apks now, but they might not take an air for android .apk, because they already have AIR on the device. They want you to package the swf as a .bar file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on that subject, if anyone has any good tips/tricks/links to recording a tablet from a camera, please tell me.

I had a quick attempt at recording my phone and tablet from a cheap webcam and poor lighting, it was far from acceptable, go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ios promo codes

RNLL9EKE6WLR

KJF9WJHYY4H6

66RRKLMLLWHK

467XYXJ7T6T7

LEMPJEMPKXAP

M9JAAYHPNKLF

FKF7HTETPFA4

M6NJLYMFTWTF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to record a promo video for my app Weaphones, and it required the user (me and my wife ) to hold the phone like a gun, we did it outside so the sun and reflections were a big consideration. What worked for us was using a high quality HD Sony Camera, not movie quality but a 1K+ hand held camera for the general consumer. Best time of day was right before the sun set because you still get that unmatchable outdoor natural light and you are not getting any crazy glares or reflections. Shooting indoors without proper lights is impossible so I would move your production to the outside. What you'll notice when you video record is that natural outdoor light is very powerful and indoor lighting is less usefully than the glow of the screen.

I also read some cinematography forums before doing my project and they all suggest faking the screen, much like apple fakes it in all their commercials, probably shooting a green screen and then overlaying the hd video with some corner pin software.

Here is our video, its not pro but it doesn't look cheap either, and yes I did throw my iPhone.

http://youtu.be/UMk8JRq9M4Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Weaphones video looks good, screen quaility of the tablets/phones is awesome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines