I wondered if there was a way to prevent this from happening...
Indeed. Don't change the filenames.
That aside, if the name changes are consitent and predicatble, it may be possible to export .idml, unzip, then edit the .idml files in a text editor to change the file names, but that's way out of my league.
I think it's probably more practical to keep the file names consistent from year to year. It looks like I'll have do another round of references but I'll just prefix the books panel master file with the code and keep the chapter files the same. At least next year I won't have the problem.
Thanks for your help.
I'm told that DTP Tools' Cross References Pro does what my duct-taped wonky scripts do, and a whole bunch of other useful stuff besides. Might be worth a hundred quid to you, I can't say for sure, but it's worth a look.
I agree with Peter about not changing the filenames as this just causes more work than is neccessary.
I update a catalogue on a regular basis and my workflow involves using a "Master" set of files pulled together into one book. Once the first version is finished, I package the book and name the resultant folder with the date or code of that version. I might then zip the file and store it as an Archive file. When the next version comes around, I update the "Master" files again without changing any names etc, and then just keep saving over. Then, once finished, I would again package the book and I have version 2.
The only issue I can think of with this method is if you had to search for a particular filename from a particular version of your book as all the individual filenames will be exactly the same but they will be enclosed in different folder names. You would have to go through all the file locations to get the right one. I have never come across this issue myself but it's just something to think about.
It may not be the best workflow but I have been using it since 2005 for this catalogue and not hit a road block yet.
I like the sound of that workflow - I think I'll give it a try for this version of the book.
Thanks so much.
Unfortunately, the scripts were a custom job - not my own work, I stumbled through roughing it in and then hired a real developer to clean up after me and actually make it function - and I am not permitted to share it. It wouldn't be of assistance to you by itself anyways, unless you too are translating InDesign documents using SDLX and Trados TagEditor, and would require significant modifications to work outside of that context. However, I'll ask if I can just extract the relevant bits and post them for your benefit - I'm not sure but it looks easily re-purposable. (I suspected that you'd ask that very question, TBQH, which is why I posted that link to the commercial plugin.)
I've actually decided that it would be just as easy not to name the chapter files but instead just prefix the name of the master book file with a code. That way I won't have any problems updating future versions. Thanks anyway for offering to post the code.