• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blue ray Error - "Device not ready", Code:"3", Notes - Any ideas what this means?

Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I clicked ok, then I saw where 23.98 of 24.98 GB was written.   Looked at bottom of BD and it was about 90% written to.   Any suggestions as what this may be or where I should be looking for the definitions for error codes?    I am lost on this one.  Don't even know where to start looking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you might have.

BTW, I am using CS5.5, most recent version.  

Duane

Tempe, AZ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

John T Smith, me too I exported ISO and shorted name without free space.

But I had a code 3 with a bad blu-ray disc (LG).

I changed to a sony blu-ray disc and it worked.
Bye

Steph

code3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it say after "Notes"?

Did you try running "as administrator"?

Do this before retrying:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2934387#2934387

Also, try buildnig to image or folder to eliminate any burnder issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.   There was nothing after "Notes"   It appears that the message box was to small and it cut off everything after "notes.

By Administrator, I assume that the user has Administrator privileges.  I do.  Besides I have burned DVD's before.   This is my first Blue-ray.

The folder that I was referenced to does not exist in the Project tab.

I will try buning it to disk.   Come to think of it, I did burn a l Blue-ray a while back.  So, burning a Blue-ray does work on here.

I will get back to you tomorrow on burning this to a folder.

Also, it is as if there may be something wrong with the timeline.  After all, about 90% of the BD was burned.   But then, why would I get a "Device not ready"  after 90% of the BD had been burned.   Maybe it was a bad BD?   Or, my brand new burner just went bad.   I will try it to a folder and see what happens.

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>By Administrator, I assume that the user has Administrator privileges

As well as the below, right click the Encore icon and select Run as Administrator, which is NOT the same thing as running the computer with the Administrator account, and which fixes several "odd" problems... To create a two layer DVD (or a BluRay?), you MUST have Encore set to use the Run as Administrator option

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771202

-Set to always "run as" via icon http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

Odd Errors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174

Media Offline http://forums.adobe.com/thread/790686?tstart=30

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

And #4 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558

And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641

CS3 (maybe later?) Two Layer Problem http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407236.html

Encore "No Drive" Error http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569230

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (Memorex is notorious for buying "anything" and putting it inside a Memorex box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the SLOWEST possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John. thanks for your reply.   I just tried the administrator setting.  Will see how that works.   This is only a single layer BD.   As for file names, I just checked and I do have about 5 AVI files that I created in AE.  They are near the end of the time line.   They are about 50 characters in length.   As you may have seen in my previous post to Stan, I did make it through the transcodeing processs with out any errors showing up.   However, that being said, it would be wise for me to shorten them down a bit.

I am still working through the rest of your suggestions.   Back to you later.

Thanks, Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part (most?) of the problems with Encore is that the "author core" is licensed from another company... and when the author core has a problem, the error message reporting is not always very good

Being an Administrator when you use your computer is not the same as running as an administrator... I found that out the first time I tried to do a dual layer DVD... so use the link I sent to tell Encore that you always want to Run as Administrator

I don't know if 50 characters is long enough to trigger that particular problem... my mind is still back in DOS 8 character days, so I always use short names, and have never had a problem

I also NEVER go direct to disc out of Encore... I always have Encore create ISO/folder and then use Imgburn... an extra step, but Imgburn gives much greater control over the burn process... specifically, I always burn at the slowest possible speed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, with Imgburn, which IS9660  do I use?  T thik their are 5 choices.  Also above that is the "Mode" selection.  Which do I use?    I am burning a BD from a folder on my hard drive.  

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... I only do DVD, so have no idea what Imgburn setting to use for BluRay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many of the imgburn options there is a guide:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

But I don't see one for BD.

Set the mode for "Write files/folders to disk" (since you have a folder build).

Drag in the folders so you see the BDMV and CERTFICATE folders in the imgburn window.

If you simply burn at this point, ImgBurn will usually prompt you for any misfits.

I am away from my production machine, and don't have a BD burner on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.   There was nothing after "Notes"   It appears that the message box was to small and it cut off everything after "notes.

Here is another thread, in which Ramesh suggests that Code 3 points to faulty disks. If  you get any further info about the end of the message, let us know.

The folder that I was referenced to does not exist in the Project tab.

I assume you are referring to the "AuthorScriptHDMVSessions folder." I don't know how you could build a BD project without getting files in this folder. However, the folder is not created until the build, and a tmp folder exists until the build is complete, so I wonder if the final folder is not created when the build errors.

Edit: saw your post just after I posted this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, I just tried burning the image to a floder as you suggested.   This was strange. You will not believe this.   I created a folder as you suggested. In Encore, I set it up as my destination folder.  I hit build.   The next thing I saw on the screen was the Build box, and inside it was: "Building Streams"  Down below it was Data Written:  23.97 GB of 24.98 GB.    It took about 10 min to build the stream.   Then I got "Folder Completed."  It was as if was finish the build.  I went and checked the folder and it was 21.4 GB in size.   Not exactly the size of my projec, but close.   Any idea as to what is going on?

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See John's note about imgburn and see if you can burn the folder to a disk.

Drive/disk issues can be complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith, me too I exported ISO and shorted name without free space.

But I had a code 3 with a bad blu-ray disc (LG).

I changed to a sony blu-ray disc and it worked.
Bye

Steph

code3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steph, thanks so much for your post.  Your error message looks much like mine except I have nothing following the "Note:".    I am using BD by Philips.   I chose that brand because many users had stated that they had the best results with them.   Before I switch to Sony, I am going to first try a few of the suggestions that Stan and John had made.  My player is a LG that writes at 12x speed.   Encore did not list any speed nor did it give me any choices for speed.   If it tried to burn my 6x BD at 12x speed, then their my problem.   Later today I am going to down load the software they told me about and try burning at 1x speed.  The Philips BD is rated 1x-6x.  I will let you all know later how well this works.

Again thanks,

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Imgburn for ALL disc writing... including files and folders for general data backup

I have Imgburn's default set to 1x writing... and it then uses the slowest POSSIBLE speed of the media after it reads the parameters of the blank media

I don't do BluRay, but I have never had a DVD fail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKED.      The BD worked perfectly in my player.   Imgburn did it.   The lowest speed setting they allowed me to use was 2x.  I also used verify so it did take a while for it finish.   I must say that I was a bit intimidated with all the different settings on Imgburn.    I just muddled my way through it while I was looking for the speed setting.   Apparently most everything was defaulted to correctly.   It must be good software for me to have good results the very first time.  I really appreciate that suggestion.   I am curious to know why Adobe does not allow to set the write speed on a BD like they do on my DVD burns.   I bet that if I was able to set the write speed to something 6x or lower, I would have never had this problem.   Maybe it has to do with the outside supplier.   It didn't help that I went out and purchased a fast burner.   If I had a much older burner, that would have been slower than 6x, I might not have seen this problem.   Anyway, I am going to suggest to Adobe that they find a way to give me control of my write speed for my BD.   Since they blank out the speed when Blue-ray is selected tells me that they might not be able to do it.  

I want to thank Stan, John, and Steph for all your help with this.

Duane Two

Tempe, AZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted some suggestions to Adobe about this issue.   Please read it and put in your comments as well.  Maybe we can get some action to it.

Thanks,

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at my BD burner machine, but help says Encore displays the drive's max speed and allows you to select a lower speed. I don't think the problem is that Encore is not allowing speed setting, but that something in this project/drive/disk etc allows only one speed.

The Code 3 error message varies as to the content of the "Notes." All Code 3's are not AS_StorageErrors. We don't know whether your error message is truncated, or whether it is Code 3 with no Notes specified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, it may be that I added the BD burner after Encore was installed. The DVD burner was in the machine before Encore was installed.   The DVD burner only allows 6x speed.   If what you are describing is true, Encore should allow lower speeds than 6x for my DVD burner.   Technically, if the BD display should show at least 10x.   I have tried "refresh" and still the BD speed is blacked out.   Do you know of anything that I may have done wrong to only allow one DVD speed and no BD speed?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked if you have the last firmware of your blu-ray player ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steph, good point.    I will do that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked with LG electronics.   They just released this Blue-ray player last November.   There are no firmware updates.    Being that this unit is so new, Adobe probably does not have any drivers or software that works with this burner.   I guess this is a problem when buying the latest and greatest new products.  LOL    I guess I will just have to keep using Imgburn until Adobe has software that recognizes my BD burner.  It may be the same problem with my DVD burner.  I just built this machine last November/December.  I purchased all the parts separately.  It is 100% custom.   As for the DVD drive, it was what a friend recommended. I was not to particular about the DVD drive so I ended up with an ASUS.  I heard a lot of good things about the LG BD drive.  I did not realize that this unit was so new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also got Error Code 3 & Error Code 25 while using Encore CS5.5 for Mac while burning a 3:15 hour long wedding video on a 50 GB BD. Problem got solved when i renamed ppro time line to a short name with no spaces or other special characters. made a new project in encore, imported time line into it, just with name change transcoding time reduced too much and buring when normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution: go to

[Edit] into Encore Program

[Preferences]

[General]

[Media] check, save media cache files next to original

and click on [Clean] at Media Cache Database menu

Be Sure that you have at least 100GB free on you external or internal Hard Drive,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines