10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 7:56 AM by JulienKraakman RSS

Link/Button to an object state on another page.

JulienKraakman Community Member

Hello,

I'm trying to do something rather impossible, it seems. Yet I have seen this work in other magazines I think.

I have an article with two pages. On one page there are a bunch of thumbnails which all link to the second page. So if you press one of those thumbnails, you jump to page 2.

On page 2 I have a slideshow with all of these thumbnail images, but of 'course in the slideshow they are fullscreen. How can I make it so, that when you press a specific thumbnail on page 1, it jumps to page 2 on that specific slideshow image?

Hope it's clear!

Thanks, Julien.

• 1. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.
          TonyRedhead Community Member

Once you are on the second page with the respective fullscreen image displayed what is the next action you want your viewers to do?

• 2. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.

I want them to either:

- Go back to previous page and click another image.

- View the rest of the slideshow gallery.

It's up to them in the end.

• 3. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.
              BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Even if you could do that (you can't) that would make for a horrible reader experience, IMO.

My advice would be to create a slideshow on one page.

Bob

• 4. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.

Haha, well "horrible" is a pretty big word.

Jumping to a certain image in a slide show isn't so bad is it?

I'm looking for some kind of alternative here.

I've seen the New Yorker iPad app display slideshows in a different browser within the folio.

How do they do that?

Thanks, Julien.

• 5. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.
                  BobLevine UGM-MVPs

A slideshow is great. Just taking a reader to a fullscreen and leaving them on their own is a horrible reader experience.

Think about it. It’s a deadend.

I already gave you an alternative. Keep the slideshow on one page. Make it a bit smaller than full screen with thumbnails on the side or bottom.

Those thumbnails could even be in a scrolling frame.

Bob

• 6. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.

You think a fullscreen slideshow is a bad experience?

Well I don't agree. I want a fullscreen slideshow.

You see it in a lot of magazines and for me personally, as for other people I've talked to about iPad magazines, a fullscreen slideshow isn't a bad experience at all.

You call it "taking readers to a fullscreen and leaving them on their own" but that sounds a bit exaggerated to me.

You can always go back.

Isn't it the same as with a slideshow on one page? You cover the entire page with your slide show and then it feels the same. The only possibility to go back is pressing a back button to exit the slideshow.

I'm trying to do it on one page now as you say, it works out pretty good.

But, as you have to create an object state where the slideshow isn't visibile at all, and you have an object state for each slide.

So, 1 object state in which the slideshow isn't visible.

6 object states for 6 slides.

7 object states in total.

But you can't put the swipe function on since object state 1, in which the slideshow isn't visible, will pass and that isn't supposed to happen.

So I've made buttons within the slide object states where you can go back and forth. In the first slide you can only go forth, and in the last slide only back.

Good idea?

Any alternative? Like viewing the slideshow in a different browser? Not a different page but a different browser.

I've seen the New Yorker do it all the time. It's just like you go to the in-app browser to view a webpage, but only then it shows a gallery in which you can swipe through.

Thanks, Julien.

• 7. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.
                      BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Can you explain what you mean by different browser? A screenshot perhaps?

Bob

• 8. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.

Image1: Article with slideshow icon (camera in the lower left corner)

foto.PNG

Image2: Slideshow in an in-app browser with "Done" button.

foto (1).PNG

• 9. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.
                          BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Okay, so that's not really full screen. There is text and directions for swiping. Sorry, but I thought you meant having nothing but a picture full screen.

With that out of the way, that's an HTML based slide show. There are a ton of extensions that will create something like this easily using Dreamweaver. Save the HTML and any required scripts and CSS into its own folder and link to that using either the web content overlay or zip it all up and link to the HTMLResources file.

Bob

• 10. Re: Link/Button to an object state on another page.

Great! Thanks Bob.

I may try that some time, but for now I think I will go with the object state solution on the same page I described in my previous post.

I won't have any caption though, only an exit button and navigational buttons.

So that's what I call fullscreen actually, with some black around the image though, but still, how is that different

Anyway thanks for your help!