15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 7:50 PM by John Hawkinson Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

InDesign crashes when editing text (branched)

Thomas Schilling

Hello,

using the newest indesign version 752, i have the same problem as described: when i try to edit text, pasted in (from browser, word, etc.), indesign crashes. sometimes it happens, i get into the textbox ...but cannot edit the text ...seems to be locked?

did you found a solution for your problems?

regards

thomas

• 1. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
          jhgd6230

Yes!  Export the document as an InDesign Markup (IDML) file.  Once I did that I was able to edit the document without problems. Never figured out what caused the problems in the first place, though.  Hope this works for you!

Jan

• 2. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Thomas,

It's best to start a new thread for crashes. Though they often seem the same, thay aren't necessarily so. If you are on a mac, it is also very important to upload the crash report to Pastebin.com, then put a link in your post, so we can see waht is really happening. For Windows Vista and later, it's pretty much a guessing game, unfortunately, becasue crash reporting is essentially gone.

• 3. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
              John Hawkinson Community Member

I branched the thread from the earlier one, which is InDesign crashes when editing text.

Thomas, what's your operating system?

• 4. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
                Thomas Schilling Community Member

I´m working on mac. Unfortunately the IDML-workaround isn´t a solution for me, because we´re working with the pubishingsystem woodwing-enterprise with lots of pages of magazines and catalogs – there is no chance, exporting every page as idml.

even copy and paste from an other cs5 document is critical: i can edit, before and after the paste-in ...but can´t edit the pasted text! I just figured out, there is a way... copying without styles! but my working ours will end up late in the evening, copying without styles?!

thanks for your help

t.

• 5. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
                  Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

It's very likely a problem withthe woodwing plugins, but without the crash report we can't really say. Please post the report to Pastbin.com and put a link here.

• 6. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

good morning,

today it´s getting weired... copying text is no problem this morning, i can edit, copy with styles etc.  ...but there is a new problem coming up with the copy-process: tables! when pasting copied tables from an other document indesign crashes...

there are 3 different crash-reports with one crash i reproduced:

http://pastebin.com/4LD6gNdR

http://pastebin.com/gHwXmNLa

http://pastebin.com/RFtBT9DF

hope you can understand the problem...

• 7. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

just solved the table-problem: there are styles in the new doc with the same name, but in a style-folder. when coping from an old doc into the new... the style-folder for table-styles forces the crash! why ...no clue!

but thnaks for your help so far!

adobe indesign is getting more and more a "diva" ...be careful with styles!

• 8. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I don't see anything enlightening about the crash report, though it is definitely in text and table modules, but I notice that the version says 7.0.5. I'm preuming that was a "Rapid Release" update you obtained through a partnership arrangement as the current public release is 7.0.4. That might be the source of the problem -- a new untested release that has an incompatibility problem with your plugins.

As far as styles, when moving content from one document to another with identically named styles, the style definition inthe reciving document has always controlled the formatting. This is not new behavior.

• 9. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

there we go ...the described problem with pasted text is back! i can not edit pasted text ...when i try to edit, indesign crashes.

what does the "CheckZeroSpaceNoBreak" -Error mean? do you know this problem?

http://pastebin.com/UeqnRW7Y

you´re right, we´re working with a rapid release, our woodwing supporter means the plugings would need the latest updates?! do you know a way, to downgrade to 7.0.4?

• 10. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

That last crash is definitely in Smart Catalog.

You should contact Woodwing and see if they have a patch yet, otherwise, I think you need to uninstall and reinstall and manually patch to 7.0.4.

• 11. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

Peter's correct that there is no way to downgrade short of an uninstall/reinstall.

I believe we're in a gray area discussing rapid releases on the public forum.

But let me say that I do not think you have any good reason to downgrade from 7.0.5.571 to 7.0.4.553 and that while you should certainly try it and see, because it might actually work, I would not put any money on it.

More significantly, you're running "+SmartCatalogCore v8.0.4 build 52" and Smart Catalog 8.0.5 is out. So I would upgrade first and then report the crash to Woodwing if it is reproducible.

I don't use SmartCatalog (but I do use SmartConnection), but I'd suggest you may get better support from Woodwing's forums or their actual support (or reseller support) than here. "But maybe not."

• 12. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

Hello again,

i´m still having problems with tables in indesign ...you´re right we were using an old version of smart-catalog!

but even when i disabled all smart-catalog functionality indesign crashes

here is the report:

http://pastebin.com/HTx8wckZ

the last thread is: com.adobe.InDesign.Text ...do you know, how to handle this?

• 13. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

Well, this one looks completely unrelated to the previous crash.

You either have multiple independent problems (my first guess), or something very strange going on.

Anyhow, yeah, this seems to be about text and table recomposition. Not sure what to say.

What is the exact sequence of events?

Can you use a placing workflow rather than a copy-pasting workflow?

• 14. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

Yes, sorry ...should i open a new thread? ...but´s funny, first i got the same problems related with woodwing-plugins and now its the same crash but indesign?!

it´s something with the styles in the tables ...but even when i disconnect every font-style and every table-style: same output!

The sequence: i have a new document and has to copy text and tables from other docs into. its simply copy/paste (should be) even the styles and style-names don´t change ...so i paste the table into the new doc and try to edit – flush! its gone!

and yes, there is a workaround ...copying the tablecells into number/excel and copy back to indesign ...but for over 1000pages?! hmm?

thanks for you patience btw. it´s seems to be a very strange problem?!

• 15. Re: InDesign crashes when editing text

The sequence: i have a new document and has to copy text and tables from other docs into. its simply copy/paste (should be) even the styles and style-names don´t change ...so i paste the table into the new doc and try to edit – flush! its gone!

My question is what the minimum source document is to generate this problem.

Have you round-tripped that document through IDML?

If you re-create the source document from scratch do you still have problems?

Can you demonstrate the problem is not corruption in your source document?

I don't think you should open a new thread until there is more clarity on the nature of the different problems, no.