Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Can't Edit Text- LiveCycle Designer 8.0

Former Community Member

I've been using Livecycle for years and I've always opened up certain documents, edited the text, field boxes, etc.

All of a sudden, I go to edit a PDF in Livecycle (same pdf that I've always edited) and everything is locked. I can't delete, add text, move fields, nothing... It seems that the whole page got locked somehow. Any ideas on how to get it back to normal so that I can make edits? I'm using Windows Vista, Adobe Acrobat 8- Livecycle Designer 8.0.

Thank you!

18 Replies

Level 3

Post your query in the forum for LiveCycle Designer.

Former Community Member

Thanks Bernd! Just posted it in the correct forum.

Level 1

It may be that you distributed it or activated Reader Rights. I understand that either will lock the PDF until you turn off the Reader Rights.

Former Community Member

It seems that by “saving a copy” of the PDF, that will turn off the Reader Rights and then it allows you to open it up in LiveCycle Designer for edits. I’ve done that and it opens in LiveCycle but does not allow me to make edits.

Level 1

I suggest you ask in the LiveCycle forum. I don't have a clue if the save as did not work.

Level 2

Moving discussion to LiveCycle Designer ES forum.

Level 10

Hi,

It sounds like the form may be corrupted. In normal circumstances you can open a Reader Enabled form in LC Designer without difficulty (it just removes the RE rights).

Can you share your form? If so upload it to a file sharing site like Actobat.com; publish it; and then share the published URL here.

Niall

Former Community Member

This link should allow you to download the PDF. It’s four pages and the last two are locked for some odd reason…

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1414003496/f75f8c1c72b04b10d2fe88a2d0dab57f

Level 10

Hi,

I could open the form no problem in LC Designer ES2. I have upped the Target Version to Version 8.1 in the File > Form Properties > Defaults tab.

See does that help: https://acrobat.com/#d=9wdvQ56JAThQL0P-vV1pcg.

Niall

Former Community Member

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the help! I can open it in LC Designer and only make edits to a few of the fields. Page 2 and 4 are completely locked as well as a few of the regular ‘text’ fields in the other pages.

Level 10

Hi,

I have checked all of the pages and every object I have checked is completely open and editable. The form seems perfectly normal here (LC Designer ES2).

Not sure what is going on.

Niall

Former Community Member

Do you think there’s a setting that somehow got changed in my LC Designer? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t seem to find anything wrong…

Level 10

How are you opening form?

Are you opening the form in Acrobat and from there going to LC Designer (from Acrobat)? If so try closing Acrobat and opening the form directly from LC Designer.

Niall

Former Community Member

Usually I open Acrobat first but I just tried it now directly through LC Designer and still get the same result L

Level 1

Did you ever find a solution?  We have the same issue here with one document.

Level 2

It sounds like from the Edit Menu in Designer that perhaps the option Lock -> Lock Text, Lock Static Objects, Lock Fields is enabled. 

Level 1

I can lock selected fields, and confirm that I can't move them around in designer.  Then I can unlock those fields, and confirm that I now can move them around in designer.  But in either case, I cannot edit the fields in the preview window.  When the document is viewed in either Acrobat Pro or Reader, the fields can be edited.  This is just a problem with the Preview window in Livecycle Designer, and it is a huge hinderence to the person developing the form (a different developer).

Interestingly, if I create a form in Designer and send it to this developer, the Preview window does work.  But for any form this other developer creates, the Preview window editing is disabled, even when she sends it to me.  So, I suspect it is setting somewhere...but darn if I can figure out what setting/where.

Level 2

I had same issue today. Now it's working. After open XML source, form was set to read-only, don't remeber did that, but it's what it is. XML source is life saving!