14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 11:14 PM by iSilchin RSS

Flash Player 11 temporarily hangs IE and Chrome

shanehudg Community Member

I work for an IT consulting company and I've got an unusual situation that I'm trying to help a client with.  My client has had slow internet problems for several weeks.  She is the only one on the network having the issue.  I traced the issue back to Flash Player.  The sites that cause problems are the ones with flash.  even the Adobe flash confirmation page causes problems.  And the issue is not limited to Internet Explorer.  I downloaded and installed Chrome thinking she could use it as a workaround and it had the same issue as well.  Here's her specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Internet Explorer 9

Flash Player 11

Here's what's happening:  When opening a page with a flash component, the component takes a while (several minutes) to load and both IE (or Chrome) and Windows become nonresponsive until it loads.  I've watched the CPU usage during the time and the CPU spikes when the Flash starts to load and stays maxed out until the Flash component has loaded. 

What I've tried:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player (including a full manual uninstall as suggested by the support documentation).  I've tried downgrading IE to version 8, completely uninstalled, downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled IE.  Downloaded and tried Google Chrome browser.  Updated video drivers.  Ran virus scan, and checked the windows system files.

Possibly related:  I don't know if it's related but I couldn't access the Settings page when right clicking on a flash component.  I can access the global settings but the settings option is grayed out.  I noticed this when trying to disable the hardware acceleration. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shanehudg