6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 8:15 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

Open PDF files

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-78faa.h tml

• 1. Re:  Open PDF files
          TurtleFace1988

Sometimes when importing a PDF of varying page sizes into Photoshop, smaller pages are increased in size to match one of the dimensions of the larger pages.

Is there any way around this?

• 2. Re:  Open PDF files
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

How exactly do you proceed and are those pdfs that combine pages of various sizes?

Why do you convert the pdfs and are you aware of the quality-loss this incurs with regard to vector and type data?

• 3. Re:  Open PDF files
              ryan.marchese Level 1

I experienced the same behavior, and it just appears to be a glitch with the import (Photoshop doesn't support multiple sizes through batches very well - and the import dialogue is basically a built-in batch action). It sounds like you are referring to a multiple-page PDF (which is where I have also found the issue). The only real work-around I have found is to split your PDF and bring the pages (or groups if you have some same sizes) into Photoshop separately.

• 4. Re:  Open PDF files
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

and the import dialogue is basically a built-in batch action

I wonder if that does the process justice.

The only real work-around I have found is to split your PDF and bring the pages (or groups if you have some same sizes) into Photoshop separately.

I disagree, one might be able to use a Script that opens the pages individually or creates new documents for each page, places it and clips to its format after placing.

Edit: Actually my choise of words was nonsensical … how could I disagree with what somebody has found?

ryan.marchese, please excuse my dumb wording.

• 5. Re:  Open PDF files
                  TurtleFace1988 Level 1

- How exactly do you proceed and are those pdfs that combine pages of various sizes?

I export a PDF with multiple pages of varying size from InDesign CS5.5 and then open it in Photoshop CS 5.1. In the import dialog I select all of the pages and then set the dpi to 72. When all of the documents are created some of the pages are scaled up/down from their original size.

- Why do you convert the pdfs and are you aware of the quality-loss this incurs with regard to vector and type data?

I convert PDFs to JPEG for use in Flash. I am aware of the quality loss and the difference between vector based images and bitmap images but the JPEGS exported from InDesign are of a lower quality than the JPEGS produced from Photoshop when re-saving the PDF pages.

- one might be able to use a Script that opens the pages individually or creates new documents for each page, places it and clips to its format after placing.

I am very interested in this. I will look into writing a script that will solve this issue. I was just surprised that Photoshop had a problem importing the PDFs.

Thanks for all your responses.

• 6. Re:  Open PDF files
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

If you should need help with a Scripting approach you could ask over at

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_scripting