New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appear to be two versions of:

Adobe Flash Player

One for Internet Explorer

and another for other browsers

Since I use both IE and Chrome should I install both?

Anyway why does IE need a separate Flash Player?

I dual boot Win7 and XP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of IE and Chrome, you will only need to install the IE version of Flash Player.  Chrome contains it's own version of Flash Player that is installed and updated automatically by Chrome itself.

As for why the different Flash Player versions, IE uses a different architecture for plugins (ActiveX) than other browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I would like a clearification of something that I have observed in my PC.

I'm not sure if I can believe what is found on your Web Page because in the past people have made mistakes.  They are not angels, yet!

Am I to believe that "Adobe Flash Player 11 Active-x" and "Adobe Flash Player Plugin" are the same?  If that is the case, why are there two entries in my

WinXP -> Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs?

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thomas,

ActiveX is for Internet Explorer and Plugin is for other browsers, such as Firefox.

For more details: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4644774#4644774

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still hope that these installers some day will be combined into one; https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2945082

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked about this and I believe it comes down to size.  However, coming with Flash Player 11.3 we'll have just a single installer for both 32 and 64 bit installs.  So, we go from 4 different installers to 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good; a step in the right direction!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A stab at answering part of your question and then a question for you. My Win 7 machine has both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on IE 8 installed which would account for a 32 and 64 bit Flash Player? Anyway my question for you is can you send me the process in which you were able to obtain the dual boot config for Win 7 and XP? I've tried several different methods I've found, after trying how I used to configure dual boot with 98 and 2k and nothing has worked yet. If you don't mind the information can be forwarded to an email for me which is: [removed] Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 64-bit installer will install both 32-bit and 64-bit Flash Players.

Regarding dual booting: it is achieved easily when the operating systems are installed in sequence: older Windows version first, newer version second.

The boot manager up to Windows XP is completely different from the boot manager used in Windows 7 and Vista.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines