4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 11:53 AM by digiday RSS

Is it possible to have too many keyframes in one project in Premiere?

digiday Community Member

Hi all,

I'm using Premiere 6 on a Windows 7 ULT machine.

Is it possible to have too many keyframes in one project in Premiere?

I'm getting app crashes when I try to re-open a certain project in Premiere 6 and it seems that if that file has over 93 keyframes, then it will not re-open.  But I can re-open that exact same project file with 93 keyframes in it, no problem.

But if I go any further and create any more keyframes than 93 in a new re-saved version of the exact same file, then that file will not re-open and I get an app crash... you can see screenshots of the two Windows app crash info panels below that I'm getting from three different bad Premiere project files that I've created so far.

I've tested and tested what is going on here and this seems to be what is causing the bad files.  I've re-created the scenario and re-created files with over 93 keyframes from the same base project file that will still open... as soon as I get more than 93 keyframes in this file, then that newly saved file will not re-open after I close and try to re-open it.

This is 75 keyframes in one still image clip, 14 keyframes in another still image clip and 2 keyframes each in two other still image clips in a single project file... that is the limit... if I create any more keyframes in the clip that has 75 keyframes, the new file will save and render, but it won't re-open once it has been closed.

The two slightly different app crash info panels show, in the first one below,

"Fault Module Name: StackHash_e98d"

... and the second one shows,

"Fault Module Name: PREMINFO.dll"

... both messages with a little more different info in each one.  I get either of the two error info panels when trying to re-open all three bad files that I've created with over 93 keyframes in them.  That is, two of the files alternate between giveing "StackHash_e98d" and "PREMINFO.dll" when trying to open them and one of them always shows the "Fault Module Name: PREMINFO.dll" error.

So even the error messages are inconsistent with two of the bad files.

I've searched the internet for this error in association with Premiere and I've also searched on this forum and found nothing.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

PREMIERE_crashPANEL_10.jpg    PREMIERE_crashPANEL_12.jpg

• 1. Re: Is it possible to have too many keyframes in one project in Premiere?
          digiday Community Member

Here's a slight update.

It seems that if I go over 78 keyframes in any one clip, up to 79 or more, then the file will crash when trying to re-open it, but it will still render before closing it.

If I add more keyframes to other still image clips in the same project, then it will re-open with no problem... it is only if I have 79 or more keyframes in any one clip.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to have too many keyframes in one project in Premiere?
            the_wine_snob Community Member

I cannot speak for Pr 6.5, but I have one Project with over 3000 Still Images, and each has either Motion>Position, Motion>Scale, or both. I would guess that I have well over 9000 Keyframes, and have never had an issue.

Now, the Stills are spread over 19 Sequences, and I do not know if that makes a difference.

I am unfamiliar with the errors, but StackHash should be related to your Resources, and possibly an overflow of your Windows Virtual Memory?

Good luck, and wish that I could be of more help,

• 3. Re: Is it possible to have too many keyframes in one project in Premiere?
              digiday Community Member

Thanks Bill,

This was a 10 second clip of a still image with the "Transform" Effect applied and only position and rotation settings set with the Transform Effect.

My solution is shortening the 10 second clip to 8 seconds so it contains the limit of 78 keyframes that I seem to have, then just putting another identical still image clip next to it, then continuing keyframes that I need to apply... so now instead of one 10 second clip with 100 keyframes (for example) I have one 8 second still image clip with 78 keyframes and another 2 second still image clip with the remaining 22 keyframes that I needed, butted up against the right side of the first clip.

This causes some complications in my project because I was going to apply a motion path to each 10 second clip to match the motion path used in a parallel clip, but I'll work it out.

The virtual memory doesn't seem to be a factor because I can open the new file with more than 100 keyframes, as long as only 78 or them and no more are in any single still image clip.

Thanks for your interest,

• 4. Re: Is it possible to have too many keyframes in one project in Premiere?
                digiday Community Member

Even though I figured out a work around, I was still interested to know if these file opening crashes are related to Virtual Memory.

So on the topic of Virtual Memory... a few months ago I was troubleshooting a different problem in Premeire and I found this information...

"To improve performance in Premiere Pro, adjust the size of the paging file to a maximum of twice the amount of installed RAM."

Previous to that time three months ago or so, I had my Virtual Memory settings at the default automatic setting, but I tried setting my VM to twice the amount of installed RAM, and I've had it set that way ever since, just to make sure I'm optimizing the VM performance for Premiere and other apps.

But that isn't making any difference in this case.  Today I also found information in a search that says to troubleshoot StackHash crashes, one should turn off "DEP" in the system settings for the application with the crash problem... according to the paragraph below, from the second post down by Chris on this tdistler.com page... http://tdistler.com/2009/04/10/stackhash-and-application-crashes-on-windows

Even though this was written in 2009 with Windows Vista in mind, many things for Vista work in Windows 7... it says,

"Here’s how 99 percent of Vista users can fix a StackHash failure. I’ll walk you through it step by step:

Method A:
                1. Open your Start menu and click Control Panel
                2. Browse to “System Maintenance” then “System”
                3. In the left panel, select “Advanced System Settings” from the available links
                4. You should now see the System Properties Window, which will have three sections. The top section is labeled “Performance” and has a “Settings” button. Click this button.
                5. Select the “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
                6. Select the option which reads “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”
                7. Use the “Browse” button to locate the executable file for the application you were trying to start when you received the StackHash error, and click Open to add it to your exceptions list.
                8. Click Apply or OK to commit your changes."

But I tried this and none of the three problem files that I encountered would open... I still got the StackHash_e98d or PREMINFO.dll crash errors.

So anyway, I'm a ways past that in my project now, just continuing with more keyframes over the number of 78 in separate but identical still image clips... that allows me to successfully work with this project with as many keyframes as I need.

Thanks again,