• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multiple slides not advancing with Go to next slide or Continue

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I'm thinking this is something simple, but I've been at it long enough today I thought I should break down and ask. I have about nine slides having this same issue. Apologies up front if I'm just having a bad day, and missed a post that would've answered my question completely without me having to ask   

I'm on Captivate 5.5, and the slides are simple  - comprised of two text captions, a graphic, a forward and a back button. The image and back button you can ignore since they don't really play into this scenario.  The first text caption is visible, the second is hidden. I've tried this two ways and neither way works :

I have a button coded for on success show the 2nd text caption, set to three attempts, and last attempt is set to Go to the next slide (I've also had it set to Continue - neither work). I've also gone as far as to code an advanced action (overkill I know) to make the text caption visible and then advance on the next click, but that is not advancing the slide either. I've got to be missing a simple thing, but I'm really at a loss as to what it is! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Becky

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

I think you may be overcomplicating this.

Why don't you just place the second text caption on the slide timeline to appear just after the pause point of the button?

That way you won't need to worry about SHOW or HIDE or any Advanced Actions.  The timeline pauses at the button so that the user can read the first caption.  When user just clicks the button the play head continues playing and they see the second caption appear.  You either have another butto to pause the timeline again to allow them t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be overcomplicating this.

Why don't you just place the second text caption on the slide timeline to appear just after the pause point of the button?

That way you won't need to worry about SHOW or HIDE or any Advanced Actions.  The timeline pauses at the button so that the user can read the first caption.  When user just clicks the button the play head continues playing and they see the second caption appear.  You either have another butto to pause the timeline again to allow them to read at leisure, or else allow enough time before the end of the slide is reached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod!

That will probably be my best option to make the next button pause and unpause the timeline since I want to make sure the user has full control of when they are ready for the text. Since the other ~30 slides already have the next button functioning as that text show/hide/advance key, I was trying to keep the user experience the same on these nine slides if at all possible.  This module was previously coded in Flash and is not playing nicely with our new LMS. I'm trying recreate and have it act as similarly as possible in Captivate - at least so we can get a first version rolled out quickly. 

Looks like I need to do some more research on how the buttons pause and unpause things so I can get the timing closer. I'm trying it in one of my slides, but either my slide is too long (12 seconds) or I'm not understanding how to set this so that it is seemless and the button causes the slide to move foward. I know my ways were overthinking it a bit, but they still should have worked, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want me to have a look at your advanced action, please post a screenshot,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Lilibiri, I'm good though. I was having a rough start because it just didn't make sense as to why I was ending my actions with  If v_click=2, then show TC1, and it wasn't working. I had to change it to if v_click=1, then show TC1 which didn't make sense to me until I thought it through a few more times and came to the conclusion of it's a timing thing.  Now, if only that file hadn't corrupted I'd be good to go! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources