5 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 5:08 PM by datauduong RSS

AxAcroPDF - Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

mrktvalu Community Member

I am trying to use the AcroPDF.dll COM component to view pdf files from a .net application I am developing in Visual Basic under VS2010.

I have two very similar development computers, a development desktop and laptop, both running Visual Studio 2010 under Windows 7 SP1 with Adobe Reader 9.5 installed.  On both systems, the COM

component AcroPDF.dll, Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0, is added to my project as a COM resource.  The Laptop works fine with the AcroPDF.dll control in the VS2010 project, but the desktop is having all kinds of trouble.  Specifically, all of the Windows Form classes which reference or inherit references from other classes referencing some COM component cannot be loaded in the designer.  The types of errors I get include the following:

Failed to create component 'AxHost'.  The error message follows:  'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): A wrapper assembly is not registered for this type library.  This error seems to point to the following statement which was created by the IDE in the deisgner:  CType(Me.AxAcroPDF1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()

At other times, the designer will not open and the error message is: "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."  I don't get much debugging information from this, but it seems to point to AcroPDF.dll.

Can anyone give me some direction in solving this?   Thanks.