Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't finish previewing. There isn't enough memory. ID = -108

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We run CS5.

One of our clients sent us a file that they would like printed.  The file is 1MB in size, and in PDF format - nothing unusual about any of this.  As usual, I saved the file and tried to open it in Illustrator to set up a proof for our customer, and to check and make sure the file is print-ready.  I received the error: "Can't finish previewing.  There isn't enough memory. ID = -108".  I press OK and it opens up a blank file with some crop marks on it.

I've tried finding a solution online, but everyone who has this problem seems to have next to no RAM.  I'm running on a brand new computer with Windows 7, 16GB of RAM and the Intel Core i7 processor.  I didn't think my RAM or cache were the problem, but just to be sure, I shut off the computer, let it sit for a few minutes, and started it up again.  Same problem.

I am able to open the file in Photoshop and Acrobat - but even when I save the file at a lower resolution, and turn it into a jpeg, it still won't open.  I get the same error.

I need to be able to work with this file.  How can I resolve this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Josh,

What happens if you create a new document and then try to File>Place the troublesome file in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

What happens if you create a new document and then try to File>Place the troublesome file in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to File>Place, and it seems like that got it done.  I'm curious to find out why this was happening though.  I'll post a link as soon as I have the opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

I'm curious to find out why this was happening though.

File corruption may be the cause. Placing the file strips it of some wrapping which may be the corrupt part.

When I click the link, I get what seems to be just an HTML page in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I've never heard of placing a file until today. I'll have to keep that in mind.  I'm not sure why it's just coming up as an HTML page. Like I said... first time using dropbox.  I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh--I was out the remainder of the day and evening.

I don't know whether you have gotten to the bottom of the problem yet. The PDF seems to just consist of an image. It opens and places fine here in everything I have that can do so.

There doesn't seem to be anything extrodinary about the file. It included crop marks, but as far as I can see, there's nothing way out on the artboard, etc., that could indicate there was something weird.

If you would like a file, I can ZIP an AI file and the extracted image--which you can also do from Acrobat as well.

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike,

I was able to get it set up in an AI file after I placed the file like Jacob recommended - so I don't think I'll need anything.

Yeah - I didn't see anything extraordinary about the file either, which is why I was so confused.  But I'm glad we got this resolved.

I appreciate it, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide that file for inspection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

Can you share the file publically? If so, upload it to dropbox.com and provide a link.

If it cannot be shared publically, and you would still like someone to look at the file, you can contact me through the PM and I can provide my email.

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72971928/2012_04-11__LCHC%20Construction%20Sign.pdf

My first time using dropbox, so I hope this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this happens to me as well. still couldnt find a solution. these adobe products are killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here man :'')
Just Disgusting

Samiul5C05_0-1624265113022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samiul, Leonardo,

Have you tried the File>Place suggestion?

Or you can try the kind suggestions given by Ashutosh here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/corrupted-file/m-p/12111732#M279416

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here.

A user from our company is having constant issues with this error. It's not specific files, but seems random.

"Can't finish previewing.  There isn't enough memory. ID = -108". 

She's using a Core i7-9700 with 12 gb ram, a Quadro P400 GFX on Windows11 pro.

We tried updating everything, but this keeps happening.

Can someone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines