11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 2:04 PM by Felix CL RSS

dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

cfg_2451 Community Member

This is odd. I'm working on a two camera interview in Production Premium CS5. Did the standard stuff - a source sequence with both cameras, did some rough editing here (syncing the two cameras, trimming the clips, etc.). Then nested the source sequence into a multi-cam edit sequence. Used the multi-cam monitor to switch back and forth between cameras, etc. All is good.

But my editor wants to make three separate videos from this interview. So the logical thing (so I thought anyway) would be to nest this muiti-cam edit squence into three separate target sequences. Then I could get the camera switching done just once, and slice-'n-dice the three target sequences to make the short-'n-sweet individual videos that make my editor happy. Did this for the first target (a single question and answer). The result looks fine in PPro, and editor approves. All that's left is adding the lower thirds.

Everything fine until I go to export to AE via dynamic link so I can add lower thirds and finish up. What PPro sends to AE isn't just my target sequence, but it also sends the multi-cam edit sequence and the source sequence as well. But.... it ignores it all and will only show me the Acam footage. Bcam doesn't show up at all. Clearly this isn't working. But now I find that I can't even break the links. So I can't even start over. Sigh...

Two questions: First, how does one export a multi-cam edit sequence via dynamic link from PPro to AE, and have it show up in AE looking like it does in PPro? In other words, what did I do wrong?

Second, how can I recover from this? Do I really have to delete my target sequence in PPro and start over (and by extension, delete the AE project also)? Is there no way to sever a dynamic link once it's made?

--

Bruce Watson

• 1. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

This is interesting... it seems that now that I've done the "replace with new After Effects composition" thing in PPro, my target sequence in PPro has changed. It no longer shows the multiple camera views that it showed before they dynamic link was established. All I get now is my Acam view. This makes zero sense to me.

I don't know where the problem is, but it's looking more and more like it originates in PPro. What's up with that?

--

Bruce Watson

• 2. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

Seriously -- no one?

Is this like a known bug to everyone but me?

--

Bruce Watson

• 3. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence
              JSS1138 Community Member

I go to export to AE via dynamic link so I can add lower thirds

Try going the other way 'round.  Create the graphics in AE, and then DL those comps into PP for addition to the sequence.

• 4. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

Interesting thought. This is an animated lower third. That is, the graphic moves horizontally from off screen to on screen to off screen in about 8 seconds IIRC. So I can just import this lower third "pre-comp" into PPro, as what -- another video track? And the motion will work? To do this, I export the AE project as a PPro project, or can I just cut-'n-paste into the PPro sequence?

If it preserves the motion I can do that even if it's somewhat cumbersome.

• 5. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

Um.... didn't work. Seems that AE and PPro have different ideas of what "transparency" mean. The lower thirds composition in AE has a transparent (black) background which works fine in AE (I've used this lower thirds quite a bit in AE so I know it works pretty well), but when I import it into PPro it shows as white, and is completely opaque. Lettering doesn't show up either (but the letters are white so that's not such a surprise given the background), but the motion is still there. None-the-less, either way I tried it (copy and paste, or export from AE as a PPro project, then import it in PPro and drag the AE built sequence to the timeline) didn't work.

Trying to export just the lower third comp from AE through dynamic link as a PPro project didn't work either. Failed weirdly. It popped up the right sequence creation box in PPro, so I could pick AVCHD 1080p30 as the sequence type (matching the other sequences in the project), and created the new sequence with the correct name. But the sequence was empty. It wouldn't let me drag the lower third sequence anywhere either, so I couldn't put it on a timeline.

Sigh... this isn't supposed to be this difficult. But hey, if it was easy anyone could do it, yes?

• 6. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

Can't believe I stumped the comunity. But there it is.

The only way I could get the job done was to render an intermediate. This is wasteful and lowers the quality. Sigh... Then I opened up a new PPro project, imported the intermediate render, and sent this to AE where I could add my lower thirds. Finally, on my eighth try, success. If this can be called a success.

To add insult to injury, I tried to file a bug report on this, but that failed too -- it said I had to describe the bug in 2000 characterers (not words, but characters) or less -- and only told me this after I typed in the whole damn thing in. Thanks Adobe. Just... thanks. If you don't want a bug report, why not just say so???  Not that it matter since the entire multi-camera system has been redone in cs6 anyway, and it looks like dynamic linking has been overhauled as well. So who cares?

TGIF.

--

Bruce Watson

• 7. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence
                      Felix CL Community Member

Hi Bruce,

Jim already pointed you in the right direction.

The common way to go is:

-You create your lower third in after effects.

-you save. Don't export an intermediate (except your animation won't change, then you can export a file using RGB+alpha channel matching your project in Pr or Avid or any editor)

If you use PR, don't export. No prproject no intermediate, just save.

-in Premiere you choose File>Dynamic Link>import after effects composition.

Then in the opened window, you navigate to the AE project where this comp is,

choose the comp, hit okay, use it like any other source clip, IO in the source monitor or just put it on a Video track above your video in the timeline, like any other title.

And make sure to read the manual articles about dynamic linking.

They can give you a great insight to a fast and powerful workflow.

And you can still use that knowledge in CS6 , I'm pretty sure.

Greetings from Vienna,

felix

• 8. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

I tried everything but this. Eight different failures before I resorted to the "render an intermediate" method. And of course, it works like a charm. I can't believe it. But in two years of using this suite, I have to say that I've never been able to wrap my head around the way Adobe engineers think. I just can't sync up with them. Oh well.

Thanks for your help. I'll update my threads on this so if anyone else has this problem (I can't be the only one) they might be helped.

--

Bruce Watson

-

Felix CL <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

-in Premiere you choose File>Dynamic Link>import after effects composition.

• 9. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

Glad to be of help.
                          I just tried to clarify Jim's correct answer healready gave you.

You can mark your question as answered in this thread, that also helps people experiencing the same problem to find the solutions.

---

and keep smiling...

felix

• 10. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

While it works, it's not without it's problems. Turns out the first lower third I created for this test ran about a second too long. So I shortened it in AE, saved, and exited. Went to PPro, and it was still the original length. Couldn't get it to update. Even deleting it and re-importing it didn't find the shortened version. So I opened AE and made a duplicate, renamed it, saved, and exited. When I did the dynamic link -> import AE comp thing in PPro, it didn't see the duplicate at all. This was, I think, a clue. ;-)

Only when I closed the PPro project *and* exited PPro itself, and restarted PPro, could I import both the corrected lenght lower third and my new duplicate. My reading of the manuals tells me that it should update automatically -- changes made in AE should show up quickly and automaticaly in PPro; that's sort of the point of DL. But that's not what I got. Hmmm....

I don't get it, but there it is. Probably not worth pursuing anyway with CS6 right on our doorstep.

• 11. Re: dynamic link problem, PPro cs5 -> AE cs5, multi-cam sequence

should show up quickly...

this can also depend on your machine.

Sometimes it takes a few seconds ( for me )

are you using mercury playback engine?
                              did you render in PR before making changes in AE? if so, maybe you are still seeing the render file made with the "old" version...
                              in any case you can clear your work areas render files and re-render.
                              -if you get a yellow bar, hit Shift-Enter to force rendering.

does it update to a changed version then?

(no need to exit AE, but do save )