22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2012 4:31 PM by timanolan RSS

Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

timanolan Community Member

Hello, I appoligize if this has already been answered, I couldn't find a solution.  I have the new Canon 5D Mark III, and I updated to Lightroom 4.1 so I can import the 5D3 RAW image into LR.  But when I go to "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS5" or "Merge to HDR Pro in PhotoShop", PS starts, but it doesn't load any files. I was assuming this is because the PS Camera Raw is out of date. So I downloaded the cameraraw6-7_r1_win_030612, but when try to install it, I get "Some updates failed to install. Update is not applicable".

I've also tried Rebooting, and trying it, and I've tried the steps outlined here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/983626?tstart=0

What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

This is Windows 7, Lightroom 4.1, and Photoshop CS5.

• 2. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working
            scasey3d

Having the same issue, sorry no solutions as of yet...

• 3. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working
              JuhaniVaihkonen

Yeah, I have the same issue, even you open it directly in PS CS5.1 or CS6.0, it will not work.

• 4. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working
                brinnert

Do you have the newest (6.7) release candidate for the Raw Plugin installed for PS? The older raw plugs won't open the 5d MIII raw files.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw6-7.html

• 5. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working
                  JuhaniVaihkonen Community Member

At least I have, hmm, I actually installed CS6 beta after that, it might the reason why it's not working, but I did installed it again hoping it would work with CS6 as well.

Edit:

I uninstalled Photoshop CS6 and now the camera raw is working fine with my CS5.1, but new lightroom does not work with it. hmm

I installed CS6 photoshop again and verified that it can't use the new camera raw, it's always saying that it's not supported, even my

photoshop cs5.1 is opening the files. The problem was actually that lightroom could not start editing in cs5.1 and cs6 does not support

the new camera raw. No I made new edit in procedure in lightroom for cs5.1 so I can use it, I just can't use those automatic merge panorama, etc

in lightroom.

• 6. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

I haven't installed PS CS6 beta, only LR 4.1 (so I could import 5D3 Raw images) and PS CS5 Extended. One funny thing, I was able to get "Edit in Photoshop HDR Pro" to work once.  It did't work about 10 times (even after reboots), but then it did randomly open once. It hasn't since, even with reboots.

Your edit is insteresting, do you think I should try installing CS6 beta? There's a part of me that wonders if I shoudl've installed Camera Raw 6.7 RC first, and then LR 4.1. I'm assuming Camera Raw 6.7 RC was included with LR 4.1 though, and that's why it says there's nothing to install when I try to install CR 6.7 RC.

What stinks is that with the 5D3, we can finally use more than 3 Brackets for HDR... so all I want to do is edit it in HDR Pro! 

• 7. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Well, I could not get 6,7 RC working with CS6 at all, and you really need that for HDR pro.

That was my goal also but I there was just no way to get it working, it's actually not

related to lightroom, it's just that the new raw does not work with CS6 and that is needed

for HDR pro. I'm assuming that CS5 is not fully compatible with new lightroom.

• 8. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working
                        Jeff Schewe Community Member

JuhaniVaihkonen wrote:

Well, I could not get 6,7 RC working with CS6 at all, and you really need that for HDR pro.

Well, ACR 6.7 will ONLY work with Photoshop CS5/5.5. The version of ACR for CS6 doesn't have the new camera support that's in the 6.7 beta. ACR 7.1 which will come out shortly after CS6 is actually released will. I realize it's confusing with the release of LR4, the RC release of LR 4.1 and the fact that both the general release of CS5/5.5 and the beta of CS6 different camera support. But that's the situation the industry is in. Camera companies don't feel the need to adopt any sort of raw file format (such as DNG) and keep spawing off new cameras which require 3rd parties to try to add support for the new cameras. As a result, users get caught in the middle.

However, DNG Converter 6.7 beta CAN convert the new cameras so that previous versions of ACR (even the ACR 7 in the CS6 beta) can open them. Ultimately, I would suggest people with the new cameras to consider simply using the DNG Converter 6.7 beta and convert the raw files to DNG.

• 9. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

What I'm really after is HDR Pro now that I have 5 or 7 brackets available with the 5D3, will DNG work for that?  I know HDR Pro usually complains when importing non RAW files.  Does anyone know if a new ACR is being worked on to address this?

• 10. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Thanks Jeff

I was hoping that some expert would answer this. So if I just remove the CS6 beta and continue using the CS5.5 with new beta raw, would that also work?

Just a side comment, I still don't understand why lightroom can't use some API interface of the camera raw.

• 11. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Juhani, can you send a link to CS5.5? I think I'm still running CS5.0, I'd love to try that out... When I run Help > Update Photoshop, it says it's up to date.  And when I click on Help > About Photoshop, It says "Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended Version 12.0 x64"

And my above comment about HDR Pro working once isn't true, I just realized those images were JPG (I switched my camera to JPG when I was running out of room over the weekend), it's not working with RAW.

Do you guys know if there's a Photoshop log I could check? I wonder if an error is being logged that we could look at.

• 12. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Actually we were talking about the same version kind of, CS5.5 is the suite version that I was meaning, that actually includes the PhotoShop CS5.1 version and you need

to buy it to get it, that's why yours is saying up to date.

At least for my knowledge the only differense between CS5.0 and CS5.1 is the Creative Cloud, hmm, I have to remove my CS6....

• 13. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

I removed CS6 and reinstalled my production suite cs5.5, even I think it would have been enought just to reinstalll photoshop.

then I reinstalled 6.7 beta and now at least I generated one HDR picture from lightroom using pictures from 5dmk3 just fine.

• 14. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working
                                    Jeff Schewe Community Member

JuhaniVaihkonen wrote:

Just a side comment, I still don't understand why lightroom can't use some API interface of the camera raw.

Camera Raw is an import plug-in for Photoshop. Lightroom is a separate application whose plug-in architecture is completely different. They both have the same rendering pipeline so if the versions match, the processing result is the same. But within the feature set, the UI and usability is different. Some of that is due to the way ACR is written to work within the Photoshop SDK. Lightroom's UI is completely different.

With regards to Lightroom and Photoshop interaction and integration, that's when it becomes critical to make sure LR & ACR are at the same relative version. At the moment, because LR4 was released before Photoshop CS6 (even though there's a beta) the timing of processing version gets out of phase. That's why ACR 6.7 beta can handle newer cameras than ACR 7 that shipped with the beta of CS6. LR4.1 beta can handle the new 5d MIII but it doesn't (as far as I know) handle the new D800 and D800E from Nikon. Those are handled in the ACR 6.7 and DNG Converter 6.7 betas.

Yes, it's a problem…a timing problem between the release of cameras and the disconnect for support for those cameras in 3rd party software. Hang in there…it'll get straightened out in a short while.

• 15. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

I just re-installed PS CS5 (I didn't uninstall, I just put the CD in and went through the install process again), but Merge to HDR Pro still isn't working.  And when I try to install ACR 6.7 RC, I still get "Some updatse failed to install. Update is not applicable"

Juhani, do you think my ACR install is failing because I have LR 4.1 installed? Should I completely uninstall PS CS 5, and then re-install it?

AdobePatchInstaller.jpg

• 16. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

I don`t think that lightroom have no effect on it, like Jeff said, lightroom uses the same raw but it is integrated into it, this is the reason why they have different timeline on the camera support.

But for me it is looking like something went wrong in your installation, although adobe might be interested of your logs how did happened, well, at least they should be, what I would do, is exactly this. First uninstall(deleting userdata will make cleaner new install but it also might remove some important settings if you have), then reboot, then reinstall, but after this one you need to download updates again to get your system up to date. After this you should be able to install 6.7 RC.

I would like that Jeff still answers that is there some update from CS5.0 to CS5.1 that actually is causing your lightroom HDR merge not working with older CS5.0, actually you could test this. Download the 30-days trial and test that before you uninstal anything, if it is not working then just uninstall everything continue from there. I have noticed with lightroom that it always tries to use the newest Photoshop and if you install newer version from it, it is better to reinstall the older photoshop after uninstalling the newer one.

• 17. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

>> actually you could test this. Download the 30-days trial and test that before you uninstal anything, if it is not working then just uninstall everything continue from there. I have noticed with lightroom that it always tries to use the newest Photoshop and if you install newer version from it, it is better to reinstall the older photoshop after uninstalling the newer one.

I haven't been using CS5.1 though, are you saying I should try the CS5.1 trial first before uninstalling everything and starting over?

• 18. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Well, it does not take so much time and you will get basically new installation from photoshop in there, and we could rule out the possibility that you have something wrong in your lightroom at the same time. Reinstalling everything will take time anyway.

• 19. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Shoot I already started uninstalling Photoshop... if it still doesn't work after a reboot and re-install, then I'll try CS 5.1.  Before uninstalling, I also tried opening a 5D3 RAW file in Photoshop, it said it wasn't recognized.  And since LR is opening PS CS5.0 when I go to Merge to HDR Pro (it just doesn't open the RAW files) I think the issue is in PS CS5.0, or more likely my ACR 6.7 RC. I wish there was a way for me to see why my ACR 6.7 RC is failing... like a detailed log message.

Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know how it goes!

• 20. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

I've uinstalled PS CS5.0, rebootting, installed PS CS5.0, rebooted.  When I try to run ACR 6.7 RC install, I get the same "Update is not applicable" error. And as expected, I can't open 5D3 files in PS. I'm chatting with Adobe support now...

• 21. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

I haven't tried 5.1 yet... but working with Adobe Technical Support, they had me manually delete Camera Raw, and then try installing but it still didn't work.  Are you running Windows or Mac? I'm wondering if the people having this issue are only on Windows...

• 22. Re: Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Fixed with the help of technical support. You have to manually delete Camera Raw from the below locations, and create a new Admin user to install under... The latter sounds strange, but I kept getting "update is unapplicable" with my normal Admin login (this is a personal PC, and I've installed everything under the sun as my current login), it must have something to do with stale Camera Raw files in my user profile (AppData, etc)

For anyone else seeing this, delete the below directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Camera Raw 6

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Camera Raw 6

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw

Then logout, and log back in as the new Admin account you've created.  Install Camera Raw 6.7 RC, it should install just fine.  Then you can log back out, in as your normal user and use PS with Camera Raw 6.7.