• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stupid PDF Question: What's the difference between "Save As PDF" and Printing to a PDF "printer"?

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a quality difference? 

The "Save As" seems to run Distiller, but if I select "Print Document" and select "Adobe PDF" as the printer, it also seems to work OK, although I sometimes get a "Times" font not available, will be replaced by "Times New Roman", even though I can't find any reference to "times" in my book.

Is there an advantage to running Distiller?

Thanks!

John

www.controlgeek.net

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

They're basically the same - one has traditionally been more stable (print) than the other (save as).

Your mystery font may be hiding in a graphic somewhere. Sometimes an examination of the MIF can show it. You could always try the suggested font substitution and save the resulting "fixed" file if you don't care about Times.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're basically the same - one has traditionally been more stable (print) than the other (save as).

Your mystery font may be hiding in a graphic somewhere. Sometimes an examination of the MIF can show it. You could always try the suggested font substitution and save the resulting "fixed" file if you don't care about Times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save As PDF allows you to set up PDF features, like bookmarks that can be linked to index page numbers, etc. Printing to PDF does not allow you to customize the PDF features.

Ron Tillotson

Technical Writer

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, sure it does - select File > Print > Generate Acrobat Data > PDF Setup; make your selections; uncheck Print to File & print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron Tillotson

Technical Writer

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Thanks Jeff. Thank you for the feedback. I probably was printing to Cute PDF that caused the feature limitations. I really never pursued selecting Adobe PDF, then Generate Acrobat Data. -- Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is there a quality difference?

I'd expect them (as well as print-to-Ps & Distill) to be the same for the same settings.

We print to Ps & Distill, for several reasons, not all of which may apply to you:

1. More control. Distilling provides menus for everything Adobe lets you control in PDF gen. Print/SaveAs may not (and don't in our environment).
  2. Faster printing (Frame doesn't have to wait for the tps to pdf gen). You can get back to work while a long job renders.
  3. Unequal versions/different platforms. We author on FM8/Unix and Distill on Acro9/PC.

> ... although I sometimes get a "Times" font not available, will be replaced by "Times New Roman", even though I can't find any reference to "times" in my book.

Save the component files to MIF and examine with a plaintext editor. If not found, the font invocation is probably coming in with a text inset, or a graphic of type DWG, DXF, EPS, PDF or possibly SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines