• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't launch updated Adobe Reader v10.1.3 in Firefox v3.6.28 in Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Is it me or does the newly updated Adobe Reader v10.1.3 does not load from Firefox v3.6.28 in Mac OS X 10.5.8? This is after I click on any PDF links on a web site. Safari had no problems though!

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Hi All,

Try running firefox in 32-bit mode as suggested by Juhanaven (via Finder -> Applications -> right-click Firefox -> Get Info -> check Open in 32-bit mode).

However, Adobe has dropped support for all versions of Firefox prior to 10.0 for Acrobat/Reader 10.1.3 release. For more details see release notes

Thanks,

Nikgupta

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, with OS X 10.7.3, Firefox 3.6.28 and Reader 10.1.3 all I get is a blank window where the PDF should be.  I can disable the add-on but then it pulls me out of my browser.  I have tried deleting the NPAPI plugin and reinstalling both Adobe and Firefox but still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

csrogers wrote:

Same issue here, with OS X 10.7.3, Firefox 3.6.28 and Reader 10.1.3 all I get is a blank window where the PDF should be.  I can disable the add-on but then it pulls me out of my browser.  I have tried deleting the NPAPI plugin and reinstalling both Adobe and Firefox but still no luck.

Yep, exactly what I had. Ugh, a bug I guess. I had to tell Firefox to go back to Mac OS X's Preview for viewing PDFs for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experienced same problem immediately following Adobe Acrobat update installation (v10.1.3). Also experienced when trying to view attached PDF files within the Zimbra email program from vmware in both the desktop application (Zimbra Desktop 7.1.4) as well as the web version when launched within Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be an issue with the NPAPI plugin Adobe released, it just isn't working. 

We were able to get it working with 'PDF Plugin for Firefox on Mac OS X'.  Based on posts on the Mozilla forums there are other plugins that work.  Some posts indicate it is a compatiblity issue with Firefox 3 but we tested with Firefox 5 and Firefox 10 and it didn't work there either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AntD00d wrote:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Rel easeNote_10.1.3.pdf says it dropped old Firefox versions.

It's not about that, I think, as I got the exactly same bug with Firefox 12.0 / OS X 10.7.3 after the last Adobe Reader update.

However, the release notes are interesting, see p. 6: "If you still require a 32-bit solution, this update also supports Mozilla Firefox for Macintosh when it is opened in 32-bit mode.

So, it seems that the last update is pushing the inline viewer (NPAPI?) plugin to 64-bit Firefox, even that it's known that it wouldn't work. In Mozilla forums some had tried to fix this by forcing Firefox to open in 32-bit mode (via Finder -> Applications -> right-click Firefox -> Get Info -> check Open in 32-bit mode), but I'd rather see the bug itself fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juhanaven wrote:

AntD00d wrote:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Rel easeNote_10.1.3.pdf says it dropped old Firefox versions.

It's not about that, I think, as I got the exactly same bug with Firefox 12.0 / OS X 10.7.3 after the last Adobe Reader update.

However, the release notes are interesting, see p. 6: "If you still require a 32-bit solution, this update also supports Mozilla Firefox for Macintosh when it is opened in 32-bit mode.

So, it seems that the last update is pushing the inline viewer (NPAPI?) plugin to 64-bit Firefox, even that it's known that it wouldn't work. In Mozilla forums some had tried to fix this by forcing Firefox to open in 32-bit mode (via Finder -> Applications -> right-click Firefox -> Get Info -> check Open in 32-bit mode), but I'd rather see the bug itself fixed.

Interesting. Where are you seeing this in Mozilla forums? I didn't see anyone talk about this Adobe Reader problem in Firefox newsgroups on news.mozilla.org news server even after I posted my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AntD00d wrote:

juhanaven wrote:

AntD00d wrote:

Interesting. Where are you seeing this in Mozilla forums? I didn't see anyone talk about this Adobe Reader problem in Firefox newsgroups on news.mozilla.org news server even after I posted my issue.

It's in this bug report: http://support.mozilla.org/fi/questions/925055 - confirmed already by 230 people, by the way...

Sorry to hear that the 32-bit workaround didn't work for you. (I haven't even tested it yet myself, just disabled the plug-in altogether to get the pdf files even loaded to Preview...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice that Mozilla actually has a way to report these issues to people who might notice. Is there any way to submit a bug to Adobe to the tune of "Reader doesn't work in 64-bit Firefox 12 on OS X" and actually have them listen? These forums sometimes feel like the elevators that have installed a non-working "Close Door" button just to placate you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JustinTArthur

You can use this form, provided by Adobe, to report bugs, request new features or suggest modifications to existing features.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

thanks,

hit.anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hit.anand wrote:

Hi JustinTArthur

You can use this form, provided by Adobe, to report bugs, request new features or suggest modifications to existing features.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

thanks,

hit.anand

Done and thanks. I suggest everyone do this too so Adobe can fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Try running firefox in 32-bit mode as suggested by Juhanaven (via Finder -> Applications -> right-click Firefox -> Get Info -> check Open in 32-bit mode).

However, Adobe has dropped support for all versions of Firefox prior to 10.0 for Acrobat/Reader 10.1.3 release. For more details see release notes

Thanks,

Nikgupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Mac OS X 10.5.8 has that 32-bit mode option since I didn't see it in both administrator and standard accounts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AntD00d,

As I have mentinoed earlier Adobe has dropped support for all versions of Firefox prior to 10.0 for Acrobat/Reader 10.1.3 release ( For more details see release notes ).

It would be great if you could upgrade to latest version of Firefox.

Thanks,

Nikgupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the updated Firefox (10.0.3) and just updated Adobe reader to 10.1.3 - after the update, I can't open Adobe files in Firefox. I can open previously downloaded files fine, and can open new ones in Safari. I looked up the PDF plug-in for Firefox mentioned above, but that's for earlier versions of Firefox. So - should I just use Safari when there's a .pdf file until Adobe gets rid of the bug, or is there anything I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 1NCGal65,

Plese try opening PDF in firefox in 32-bit mode ( via Finder -> Applications -> right-click Firefox -> Get Info -> check Open in 32-bit mode).

If it doesn't work please try the following steps:

1. Delete the below mentioned files from the following location “/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/”

1. AdobePDFViewer.plugin

2. AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

2. Once you have deleted the above files please download and reinstall Reader 10.1.3 from here.

Also please mention your OS version.

Regards,

Nikhil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Opening it in 32-bit mode worked! I appreciate the detailed instructions.   Oh, and it's Mac 10.7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikhil,

I'm sorry, but your answer doesn't make complete sense. I have the same issue - the new plugin just gives me a blank page and I am running Firefox 11 on OS X version 10.7.3. It isn't good enough for a release of the plugin to require users to run their software in 32-bit mode just to make it work - it's not as though Firefox is an obscure browser that no-one uses!

When is there going to be a release to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to uninstall this small upgrade/patch so our plugin can work again? Yes, it will have security holes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AntD00d,

As I suggested earlier did you try upgrading Firefox to latest version(10.0 or later).

If it doesn't work even after upgrading Firefox to 10.0 or later then i suspect that there your pdfViewer plugin is corrupt.

Then I recommend you to reinstall Reader and see if it works for you.

However, before reinstalling please delete the below mentioned files from the following location “/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/”

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Once you have deleted the above files please download and reinstall Reader 10.1.3 from here.

Thanks,

Nikhil Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikhil.Gupta wrote:

Hi AntD00d,

As I suggested earlier did you try upgrading Firefox to latest version(10.0 or later).

If it doesn't work even after upgrading Firefox to 10.0 or later then i suspect that there your pdfViewer plugin is corrupt.

I wish not to upgrade my client's Firefox this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also disable the Adobe NPAPI-Plugin in Firefox and use instead PDF Viewer-Addon (PDF.JS --> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pdfjs/),

until they fix it for 64-Bit mode.

In Firefox click on the menubar: Extras -> Add-ons. In the opened Addon-Tab you click "Plugins" on the left side and then deactivate "Adobe ... NPAPI ... 10.1.3"

(the "Deactivate"-button is on the right side, if someone is searching and not viewing it. ).

Install after the PDF Viewer-Addon by following above link. This addon works in 64-Bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that if you're running OSX in VMware, ALL NPAPI plugins are broken, not just Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • IMG_20230629_100238.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines