10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 5:15 AM by dokeron RSS

Importing albums from previous computer

dokeron

Old computer crashed. I installed Elements 8 on my new computer, however I don't know how to bring the albums from the old computer to the new computer.

• 1. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
          dj_paige Community Member

You need to find the catalog file from the old computer, or a recent backup of the catalog file. If you have either, then we can tell you what to do next.

• 2. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
            hyadav Employee Hosts

Hi,

If you still have the acess to the old computer then you can take the backup from the old computer and restore it in new computer.

Please refer the following links to get the help in backup/restore catalog.

BACKUP:  http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ElementsOrganizer/8.0/Win/Using/WSae2ea3b149d0c3591ae939f10386 0b3d59-7f50_WIN.html

RESTORE A CATALOG : http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ElementsOrganizer/8.0/Win/Using/WSae2ea3b149d0c3591ae939f10386 0b3d59-7f4d_WIN.html

• 3. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
              dokeron Community Member

Thank you for the response.  I had the old computer on an external hard drive for backup.  It was also on Carbonite. The hard drive on the old computer is bad and at this point I'm not able to back up to the external hard drive any more than what is already on it.   The external hard drive doesn't show the albums, but it does show the images by file name.  By the way, all of my photos transfered to the new computer with a transfer cable. At this point, I think I may have to rebuild all of my albums in PSE.

Again, I thank you for taking an interest. If I'm missing something, let me know.....

Ron

viviendo la buena vida   

• 4. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
                dokeron Community Member

Thank you for the response.  I had the old computer on an external hard drive for backup.  It was also on Carbonite. The hard drive on the old computer is bad and at this point I'm not able to back up to the external hard drive any more than what is already on it.   The external hard drive doesn't show the albums, but it does show the images by file name.  By the way, all of my photos transfered to the new computer with a transfer cable. At this point, I think I may have to rebuild all of my albums in PSE.

Again, I thank you for taking an interest. If I'm missing something, let me know.....

Ron

viviendo la buena vida   

• 5. Re: Importing albums from previous computer

If you were using Carbonite, then you should be able to get a copy of your catalog file. Did you look for it there?

If you "had the old computer on an external hard drive for backup" then perhaps the catalog file was backed up?? Did you look for it there?

• 6. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
                    dokeron Community Member

I did look at the external hd and carbonite.  I'm looking for a file called "catalog".  I guess I don't understand the language well enough. Is "catalog" a term for all of the photos on pse?  All of the content on my pse program?  Or something else?  As I write this, from Carbonite, I found Adobe, and found that not all content in the folders was backed up.  Carbonite is now restoring all content that is not on my new computer.  I'm hoping that will include  the albums I had in pse on the old computer.  Thank you for you suggestions and assistance....

Ron

viviendo la buena vida   

• 7. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
                      Elements User Community Member

Yu may want to check http://bit.ly/xvFfU3 to get an idea about the typical workflow of moving album structure from one computer to another. But of-course, you need to locate catalog on old machine.

• 8. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
                        dokeron Community Member

On my old computer I was able to backup my catalog to an external hard drive. On my new computer, I was able to use restore catalog from the external hard drive.  All of my photos went to the new computer into PSE. And the new albums were in the albums column.  But.  The albums on the new computer prior to this are now gone.  Did I lose them when I restored the photos?

Ron

viviendo la buena vida  

• 9. Re: Importing albums from previous computer

This is the first time you have mentioned "new albums", and you are implying that there are "old albums". Explain, please.

• 10. Re: Importing albums from previous computer
                            dokeron Community Member

On my new computer I created new albums before trying to bring the albums from my old computer to the new computer.

Ron

viviendo la buena vida