repeat with thisButton in listOfButtons
                 tell thisButton
                     set FilePath to file path of goto anchor behaviors
                     return FilePath
                 end tell
             end repeat
         end tell

end tell

the answer I get is : {"Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:BE:21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"}

Now I want to change "BE" into "FR" and "be" into "fr"
      (in the future I will have to change it to other suffix, so it would be nice if this can be included as well smile )

Can anyone help we to do this?

• 1. Re: Find / replace within applescript
          Muppet Mark Community Member

Here is one way that should show how to break the path string down to sub strings… That you can manipulate…

set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters -- Store settings

set ButtonPath to "Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:BE:21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ":" -- Everything splits at this character

set PathBits to text items of ButtonPath -- Slice it…

-- Result: {"Content", "Pricelist", "Catalog", "Interactief", "BE", "21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"}

set NewPath to items 1 thru 4 of PathBits & "FR:" as text -- Compile the sting white still ":"

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "_" -- Now everything splits at this character

set DocBits to text items of the last item of PathBits -- Slice it…

-- Result: {"21", "ES", "Ventielen", "be", "dig.indd"}

set NewPath to NewPath & (items 1 thru 3 of DocBits & "fr" & last item of DocBits) as text -- Compile the sting white still "_"

-- Result: "Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:FR:21_ES_Ventielen_fr_dig.indd"

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID -- Restore settings

• 2. Re: Find / replace within applescript
            Evilia_77 Community Member

Mark,

I tried this:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5"

tell active document

set listOfButtons to every button

tell thisButton

set ButtonPath to FilePath

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ":" -- Everything splits at this character

-- Result: {"Content", "Pricelist", "Catalog", "Interactief", "BE", "21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"}

set NewPath to items 1 thru 4 of PathBits & "FR:" as text -- Compile the sting white still ":"

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "_" -- Now everything splits at this character

set NewPath to NewPath & (items 1 thru 3 of DocBits & "fr" & last item of DocBits) as text -- Compile the sting white still "_"

-- Result: "Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:FR:21_ES_Ventielen_fr_dig.indd "

end tell

end repeat

end tell

end tell

I get a error on splitting the path. This is the answer I get, after asking to return "PathBits" : {"Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:BE:21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"}

what am I doing wrong?

• 3. Re: Find / replace within applescript

I showed how to spilt a string in AppleScript… You would have to show me how to make a button in ID for me to test… They don't work all that well with my print/press PDF's

Firstly make sure FilePath is a string/text by…

set ButtonPath to FilePath as string

• 4. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

How te make a button in ID:

1) make a rectangle

2) convert the rectangle to a button (Menu\Object\Interactive\convert to button)

3) go to menu\Window\Interactive\Buttons  you get the buttons menu.

4) there you can give some actions. I used "go to destination". The path I choose there, is the path I want to change by this script.

I hope this will help you to help me ..

• 5. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

I could arrange that the script does what I want..  (changing the filepath) Or I think I did...

this is the script:

tell active document

tell thisButton

set ButtonPath to (item 1 of FilePath)

set NewPath to NewPath & (items 1 thru 3 of DocBits & "fr" & last item of DocBits) as text -- Compile the sting white still "_" as string

-- Result: "Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:FR:21_ES_Ventielen_fr_dig.indd "

set file path of goto anchor behaviors to NewPath

end tell

end repeat

end tell

end tell

this is the answer I get

get every button of active document

--> {button id 211 of spread id 185 of document id 161, button id 200 of spread id 185 of document id 161}

get file path of every goto anchor behavior of button id 211 of spread id 185 of document id 161

--> {"Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:BE:21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"}

set file path of every goto anchor behavior of button id 211 of spread id 185 of document id 161 to "Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:FR:21_ES_Ventielen_fr_dig.indd"

get file path of every goto anchor behavior of button id 200 of spread id 185 of document id 161

--> {"Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:BE:21_ES_Ventielen_be_dig.indd"}

set file path of every goto anchor behavior of button id 200 of spread id 185 of document id 161 to "Content:Pricelist:Catalog:Interactief:FR:21_ES_Ventielen_fr_dig.indd"

end tell

as you can see the script changed the filepath, but in the Indesign document the path didn't change..

• 6. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Did you try what I suggested…? The result of your…

Is a single item in a list… hence the { }

• 7. Re: Find / replace within applescript

yes I did,

I think the script works, but it doesn't change anything in Indesign

• 8. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Screen_shot.pngScreen shot 2012-04-13 at 15.20.03.png

Is that what it is supposed to do? linked to another file in another folder?

• 9. Re: Find / replace within applescript

yes Mark, link to another folder...

• 10. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Evilia_77, Im trying to second guess what it is you want. I don't deal with this in the line of work I use ID for… ( although Im sure that will change one day ) The screen shots posted were what I got while at my work mac ( not the slightest clue if thats right? ) Both the file and its parent directory changed locale? I don't think ( eek ) what you are trying to do is taxing in either AppleScript or JavaScript but you cloud the waters with mulit posts in differing scripting languages… You cut your chances of help here right down with AppleScript… ( mine's rusty ) Im guessing at your process…

with active book

get list of locale folders from a given directory

loop locale's

loop the book documents

open each doc

loop links replacing locale string

loop buttons replacing locale string

save

close

update book?

export each to interactive PDF?

done…

• 11. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

I think the problem is that my english is very bad, and that my applescript skills are very bad.

We are making an interactive catalogue, where you can jump from one chapter to an other one. The native one (dutch) is ready and works fine. For making the French catalogue, I copied the Dutch one and translate the documents. The buttons in the French version are linked to the dutch document. Thats why I want to make the script to change the file path.

The script you made changes the paths but when I check the buttons in the indesign document, the still are linked to the ducht versions.

Does the script works on your mac, does is changes the destinations of the buttons in the indesign doc?

• 12. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Your English is better than my interactive ID skills… I'm guess Im lucky scripting languages are mostly american/english ( is that right anyone I've no idea? ) or I'd be up a creek with no paddle… Yes the linked doc changed as the pic showed and the document was modified* in the menubar…

• 13. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

thank you very much... I tried and tried in the office, and it didn't change... but it is possible that it's due to our servers (we work only on servers so we can work all togehter on the catalogue).. the connection isn't so well..

I will try it again on monday and I hope it works... it will save me weeks of work

Hopefully I can tell you on monday some good news

• 14. Re: Find / replace within applescript
                                    Mary Posner Community Member

It seems to be missing the final command you need. You've done all the slicing, dicing, and putting the string back together. Now you just need to tell it to use that string somewhere:

• 15. Re: Find / replace within applescript
                                      myDwayneSmith Community Member

G'day

I tested the script you and Mark developed today. I'm in CS5.5 and the only thing I needed to change was "...as text" to "...as string" wherever it occured (otherwise it wouldn't compile).

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"

tell active document

tell thisButton

set ButtonPath to (item 1 of FilePath)

set NewPath to items 1 thru 4 of PathBits & "FR:" as string -- Compile the sting white still ":"

set NewPath to NewPath & (items 1 thru 3 of DocBits & "fr" & last item of DocBits) as string -- Compile the sting white still "_" as string

end tell

end repeat

end tell

end tell

The script worked perfectly (however, I only tested in a one page file with a single button — not sure if that makes any difference).

The destination link changed to the fr version in FR folder — and I could just as easily change it back again.

I really have no suggestion why it would work on my machine and not yours — but hopefully this information is helpful to you.

Best of luck to you

m.

• 16. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

I had to change the final command to

set file path of goto anchor behaviors of thisButton to NewPath

I changed the script a little bit because I noticed that "to items 1 thru 4" didn't work on all the files

this is the new script:

tell active document

tell thisButton

set ButtonPath to (item 1 of FilePath) as string

repeat with i from 1 to count PathBits

considering case

if item i of PathBits is "NL" then

set item i of PathBits to "FR"

end if

end considering

end repeat

set TempPath to items 1 thru i of PathBits as string

set DocBits to text items of TempPath

repeat with j from 1 to count DocBits

considering case

if item j of DocBits is "nl" then

set item j of DocBits to "fr"

end if

end considering

end repeat

set NewPath to items 1 thru j of DocBits as string

end tell

end repeat

end tell

end tell

Now I just have to make it possible to do this for all the buttons in a document. First I want to make it possible to choose the original path and doc...

This is what I've got at this moment:

tell active document

--choose path

set PathOrigArray to {"BE", "FR", "NL", "EX", "DE"}

set PathOrigID to choose from list PathOrigArray with prompt "Selecteer de map met originele bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

set PathNewArray to {"FR", "NL", "EX", "DE"}

set PathNewID to choose from list PathNewArray with prompt "Selecteer de map met nieuwe bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

--choose doc

set DocOrigArray to {"be", "fr", "nl", "ex", "de"}

set DocOrigID to choose from list DocOrigArray with prompt "Selecteer de suffix van de originele bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

set DocNewArray to {"fr", "nl", "ex", "de"}

set DocNewID to choose from list DocNewArray with prompt "Selecteer de suffix van de nieuwe bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

tell thisButton

considering case

if item i of PathBits is PathOrigID then

set item i of PathBits to PathNewID

end if

end considering

end repeat

considering case

if item j of DocBits is DocOrigID then

set item j of DocBits to DocNewID

end if

end considering

end repeat

end tell

end repeat

end tell

end tell

The problem is that he doesn't change the items... what I am doing wrong?

• 17. Re: Find / replace within applescript

I had to change the final command to

Hum, I used the same as Mary & Dwayne… That line is inside of a tell thisButton block so shouldn't be needed… Yes I would expect 1 thru 4 needs to change I only coded it as per your example… I only have CS5 but it works fine here…

String & text in AppleScript are the same thing Dwayne's issue in CS5.5 may be down to a clash with ID's reference to the text class… ( I didn't get that here though )

• 18. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

I am testing it in a document with severall pages and more than 1 button on each page.

The script doesn't work

is there a reason for?

• 19. Re: Find / replace within applescript

Mark,

we did it..   this script works for a book but isn't perfect. To make it perfect I just have to do

1) open a document without the question 'update links'

2) choose the original path and doc (BE - be) and choose the new path and doc (ex. FR-fr or NL-nl)

I don't know if it is possible to include those commands.. If anyone knows how.. please help me

activate

if active book exists then

else

set GetParentPath to ((choose file with prompt "Kies een Indesignbook:"))

open GetParentPath

delay 1

end if

end tell

tell active book

set fileList to full name of book contents

end tell

repeat with aFile in fileList

set theDoc to open aFile

set myDocument to active document

tell myDocument

repeat with k from 1 to count listOfButtons

set thisButton to button k

tell thisButton

try

considering case

if item i of PathBits is "BE" then

set item i of PathBits to "NL"

end if

end considering

end repeat

considering case

if item j of DocBits is "be" then

set item j of DocBits to "nl"

end if

end considering

end repeat

end try

end tell

end repeat

close theDoc saving yes

end tell

end repeat

display dialog "De documenten zijn aangepast"

end tell

• 20. Re: Find / replace within applescript

For all who is interested.. .this is the complete script

--choose path & doc

set PathOrigArray to {"BE", "FR", "NL", "EX", "DE"}

set PathOrigID to choose from list PathOrigArray with prompt "Selecteer de map met originele bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

if PathOrigID is "false" then return

set DocOrigArray to {"be", "fr", "nl", "ex", "de"}

set DocOrigID to choose from list DocOrigArray with prompt "Selecteer de suffix van de originele bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

if DocOrigID is "false" then return

set PathNewArray to {"FR", "NL", "EX", "DE"}

set PathNewID to choose from list PathNewArray with prompt "Selecteer de map met nieuwe bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

if PathNewID is "false" then return

set DocNewArray to {"fr", "nl", "ex", "de"}

set DocNewID to choose from list DocNewArray with prompt "Selecteer de suffix van de nieuwe bestanden." OK button name "Update book" without multiple selections allowed

if DocNewID is "false" then return

set oldParam to check links at open of linking preferences

set check links at open of linking preferences to false

activate

if active book exists then

else

set GetParentPath to ((choose file with prompt "Kies een Indesignbook:" of type "IDb5.5"))

open GetParentPath

delay 1

end if

end tell

tell active book

set fileList to full name of book contents

end tell

repeat with aFile in fileList

set theDoc to open aFile

set myDocument to active document

tell myDocument

--change destination

repeat with k from 1 to count listOfButtons

set thisButton to button k

tell thisButton

try

log item i of PathBits

log PathOrigID

if (item i of PathBits) as string is equal to PathOrigID as string then

set item i of PathBits to PathNewID

end if

end repeat

--log "TempPath " & TempPath

set DocBits to text items of TempPath -- Slice it…

if (item j of DocBits) as string is DocOrigID as string then

set item j of DocBits to DocNewID

end if

end repeat

set NewPath to items 1 thru j of DocBits as string -- set new path

set file path of goto anchor behaviors of thisButton to NewPath --asign new path to button

end try

end tell

end repeat

close theDoc saving yes

end tell

end repeat

display dialog "De documenten zijn aangepast"

set check links at open of linking preferences to oldParam

end tell