9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 9:46 AM by troyjack1 RSS

Duplicate Layer Mystery

troyjack1 Community Member

Ok, this has been bugging me for years, have searched and searched with no answers, hope someone here has an idea. When I duplicate a layer, sometimes the layer will automatically duplicate as a copy within the same document, and sometimes it will open the dialog box that allows duplicating to another document. Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas why? It seems to happen randomly, on both iMacs I use, as far back as I can remember (using CS4 now). I'm beginning to think I'm the only one this has happened to...

thanks

• 1. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery
          R_Kelly Community Member

It depends on the steps your using to duplicate the layer.

If you either drag the layer down to the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers panel (using no modifier keys) or Cmd-J, then you shouldn't get any dialogs.

If you right click on the layer in the layers panel and choose Duplicate Layer or Layer>Duplicate Layer, then you will get a dialog.

• 2. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery

Thanks... sorry, I should have mentioned this previously, but this issue happens when right-clicking on the layer. So basically, it's sometimes acting as if I am dragging to the new layer icon, even though I'm not...

• 3. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery
              R_Kelly Community Member

You would get a menu similar to this by right clicking on the layer and if you choose Duplicate Layer then you would get a dialog.

If your were holding down the option key while choosing Duplicate Layer then that would skip the the dialog and duplicate the layer as if dragging to the new layer icon.

Untitled-4.png

Untitled-3.png

• 4. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery

Correct, though it still sometimes skips the dialog even without holding the option key, most commonly when it is the first time duplicating by right-clicking after opening the file. I just have no idea, it's really just something I've always been curious as to why it happens. It's happened so often through the years that I always make sure I'm not holding down any keys when right-clicking on the layer, yet still happens. The fact that it occurs on different versions and computers just perplexes me.

• 5. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

It's not supposed to skip that dialog.  I can't say I've ever had it skip it.  I guess either you must be accidentally holding a key down that you're not aware of (or one is stuck) or you're witnessing is some kind of bug.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery
                    Lundberg02 Community Member

Have you tried a different keyboard?

• 7. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions, though I'm thinking it must be a rare bug. It just now happened again... I opened a jpg photo, cropped it with the crop tool, then right-clicked on the "background" layer to duplicate into another file, and instead of giving me a dialog, it automatically created a "background copy" within the same document. No keys were accidentally hit, as my left hand was in a bag of animal crackers lol. Also want to note... as this happens on both of my macs, I've ruled out the keyboard... they are different styles of keyboards also, one being the old white bulky keyboard, and the other the newer flat aluminum model.

It's really not a major inconvenience, though it can be slightly annoying sometimes, it's just something I've always noticed and wondered about.

• 8. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery
                        Noel Carboni Community Member

One thing comes to mind, since you mentioned cropping...

When you crop, and the [  ] Delete Cropped Pixels option is NOT selected, it automatically changes your Background into a layer, without prompting...  I wonder if the setup to avoid prompting in that feature somehow could be messing up the subsequent prompting for duplicating layers...

-Noel

• 9. Re: Duplicate Layer Mystery

Interesting point, Noel... I'm not sure if cs4 has the "Delete Cropped Pixels" option, but there definitely could be an interference with the crop tool somehow. I just cropped another jpg, using the crop tool, but this time I adjusted the shield opacity before cropping. I was then able to create 11 layer copies in a row without a dialog box by right-click duplicating! Then clicked on Finder and back into Photoshop, and finally then I was able to get the dialog box. Craziness...