Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open CHM file in Windows 95

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2006 Oct 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I am developing an online help system for an application that is designed to run on all the versions of Windows. I have developed the chm file and have been testing whether this opens in all the versions. I have found that it opens in all the versions except Windows 95. The error message I get is "The (Windows path)\filename.chm file is not a Windows Help file, or the file is corrupted". Please help me out on this. What could be the problem and what is the solution for this?

Thanks in advance,
Anil Hanagud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2006 Oct 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anil. CHM files require as a minimum Internet Explorer version 4 installed. This was released (I think) with Windows 98 so my guess is that this is not installed on the Win95 machine. To be honest CHM files weren't around with Win95, we used good ol' Winhelp back then. As a result I'm not sure if there are other implications of running a CHM on a Win95 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Colum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Anil,

You can run HTML Help files on windows 95 machines, but you will need to install an add on, DCOM95, on each PC the view that accesses the help.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=D7A4DE78-81A9-4DB7-BEB6-84FF...

This add on is no longer supported.

My recollection is that if you get .chms running on windows 95, they run very slowly indeed. If you really do need to support windows 95, it may be worth considering Robohelp for Word's Windows 2000 flavour of help which allows you to produce a .chm lookalike which runs at a decent speed. You will need to install a few .dlls on each end users PC but it will be worth it.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp