Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5.5 and MS Office 2010

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Can anybody tell me if Captivate 5.5 is MS Office 2010 compatible? Can I publish a project to Word 2010?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Hi there

If you are talking about creating handouts or some such, it works.  But you cannot simply take a project and publish it as a Word document like you can a SWF. You first have to choose Print and then choose a template.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you are talking about creating handouts or some such, it works.  But you cannot simply take a project and publish it as a Word document like you can a SWF. You first have to choose Print and then choose a template.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running a test drive of Captivate 5.5. When I click Publish, Print, choose a template, type the name of the file and click PUBLISH, it automatically opens Word 2007. So, I guess my question is, is it opening Word 2007 simply as part of the test drive? Or do I need Word 2007 installed for this to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, now I'm not sure *I* understand!

Are you saying that you have both Word 2007 AND Word 2010 on your system and you expected Word 2010 to open?

Generally speaking, I believe it will open whatever has been configured as the default for opening Word documents.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick - so sorry to be confusing. I am evaluating Captivate 5.5 using Adobe's test drive free trial. It's simulations mostly but allows some interactivity. I have been able to create a project and publish it. When I chose to publish it to Word, the test drive just automatically opened Word 2007. I only have Word 2010 installed so I'm assuming this faux "open" of Word 2007 is part of the trial.

I was just wondering is it would only work with Word 2007.

I think what I'm hearing though is that it will likely open whatever Word install you designate. Hoping Word 2010 is one of them as I cannot see anywhere, as part of this demo, where I can designate that myself.

Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

To my knowledge there is no "faux 2007". You must have 2007 on your system in order to be seeing this.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Rick is correct.  I've seen instances where a PC had an earlier version of MS Office installed and was then upgraded to a later version, but the new install did not remove all vestiges of the previous install. So that could explain why Captivate is pulling up MS Word 2007.

Do you happen to know if this PC arrived out of the box with MS Office 2010, or was it originally running MS 2007 and then upgraded?  In the corporate environment this type of thing happens all the time.

Another thing to consider is that, to my knowledge, Microsoft does not now offer a true upgrade from Office 2007.  When I tried to buy an upgrade for my own development laptop (as I have always done in past years when new Office versions came out) I found that I could only purchase a full version of MS Office 2010.  There was no upgrade installer.

So if your PC was upgraded to 2010, it's quite possible that Office 2007 is still sitting there in the background somewhere...unseen...until Captivate happened to call it up.

When you drill down to Program FIles > Microsoft Office how many Office# folders do you happen to see there?  In my case I have two because I've just been upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007. (Yeah some corporates are more backward than others. I'm still running WinXP at this gig.)

ProgramFiles_MSOfficeVersions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to RodWard and Rick,

Perhaps "faux" was a bad word to use. Again - I am running a simulation only, of the Captivate 5.5 product, using Adobe's 30-day free-trial test drive. This 30-day free-trial can be done by installing Adobe for 30 days to your machine or through their online 30-day trial (no install).  Using their online free-trial option, I do not install anything on my desktop (no local admin rights), rather, I log in to Adobe via Citrix in order to run the simulations. I believe this is where the Word 2007 is coming from.

I did upgrade my Word install, but from Word 2003 straight to Word 2010... NO Word 2007 on my machine ever.

I'm hoping that when I do install Captivate 5.5 and publish/print, that it will automatically sense and utilize my Word 2010 install. This is what my original question was asking - - though I apologize, not very clearly.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OhhhhKayyyyy...now that makes sense.  You're using the Adobe online 30 day trial.  I did not pick that up in your earlier posts.  Yes that would explain the Word 2007 appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not know if I understand correctly: it will always publish to doc, not to docx but I have no issues with compatibility.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I publish a Captivate 5.5 file to Word, it automatically publishes to Word 97-2003. However, I can save it as Word 2010, the only version installed on my computer, and it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources