19 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 12:54 PM by Pharther Phurther RSS

Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Pharther Phurther Community Member

Let me begin by retiterating many of my posts about the poor perfomance of the Master Suite using Mac OS X.

It is clear that other users feel the same way .. and I have yet to experience a error free workflow.

I was flabbergasted about the new CS6 claims .. and that as far as I can tell .. CS 5 ( 5.5 ) never lived up to the advertisment.

Please comment.

I will be glad to go into details if necessary.

• 1. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
          lasvideo Community Member

If this is the basis of your complaint..

"... poor perfomance of the Master Suite using Mac OS X.."

then you have a very precarious case. Why? I have a Mac Pro running on OS X very nicely thank you. With lots of excpetions like me around, your experience seems not to be ALL USERS  and more related more to your configuration.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
            Jim Curtis Community Member

Yes, please go into details.  I'd like to know specifically what claims Adobe made that didn't live up.

• 4. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Lasvideo ... I tried to search past posts that we participated on .. which included performance issues.

I could not find anything prior to a few days ago. Adobe Forums to not allow this option.

As I recall .. you had problems to.

Are you still using a 12 Core?

• 5. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Jim: Adobe ..:

"In Adobe Premiere® Pro CS5, the revolutionary native 64-bit, CPU- and GPU-accelerated Mercury Playback Engine provides rock-solid performance and stability so you can edit complex, high resolution projects fluidly. Native 64-bit support in After Effects® CS5 lets you take advantage of all available RAM on any number of processor cores to work on large frames, preview deeply-layered floating-point color composites, and quickly craft complex 3D scenes and camera moves. Photoshop CS5, Adobe Media Encoder CS5, and Lightroom also offer native 64-bit OS support, and other CS5 applications are tested on 64-bit operating systems."

As far as my experience  ... This statment has never lived up to it's promise. I completely understand the nature of software bugs .. and development issues ... but there is some serious issue with at least my 12 Core Mac Pro and the current 5.5 release. I take offense that there is a new 6 version coming out without addressing the peformance problems of 5.5 and I will indeed take this all the way with Adobe.

• 6. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

PP- Sorry , I never had a 12 core.

No software is immune to issues. Your supposition says it nver lived up to its promotion. Thousands of folks will disagree with you on that point.

• 7. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Really? .. That is why there is post : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/955937?tstart=0 with  2248 Views and 58 Replies .. called Should I switch to a Mac?

Thousands of folks disagree that the performance of the Mac Vs. Windows is far from "rock solid"?

I believe after hours of investigation that the 12 Mac Pro performance with the Adobe Suite does not take " advantage of all available RAM on any number of processor cores " when someone claimed in the Adobe Forums that the 8 Core Machines very fast.

I am a proud Mac User since 1980's and that may not mean much or compare to current manchines .. and I do agree that Adobe is top notch .. but I cannot work with this set up and save for sending the whole machine 3000 miles directly to Adobe to figure it out .. I have done everything Apple and Adobe requested.

The machine tested by Apple tech is certified perfect working order.

Whatever is causing the slow performance is ocurring in the software .. and quite posible between the OS and the App.

There are core errors and crash reports .. I have sent them all to Adobe.

I am about to make a documentary using my Mac Book Pro and my 12 Core using the same video footage using Mac OS X 10.7.3 on both machines .. my 2.53 GHZ Intel Core Duo 2 and the 2.9 GHZ 12 Core

Maybe then someone can help me .. for all I get from this forum is mocking and when I post my concerns .. Jeff transfers my post into some obscure forum few Mac Users read. Thanks Jeff.

• 8. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

You are confused. Definately not me. Never had a MBP or a 12 core.

Feel free to continue this thread . I will leave you to it.

• 9. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
                        Jeff Bellune ACP

Jeff transfers my post into some obscure forum few Mac Users read. Thanks Jeff.

This topic definitely belongs in the Lounge.  Sorry if you disagree.  Unless someone with more clout than me overrides my decision, it stands.

Jeff

• 10. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
                          Jim Curtis Community Member

"In Adobe Premiere® Pro CS5, the revolutionary native 64-bit, CPU- and GPU-accelerated Mercury Playback Engine provides rock-solid performance and stability

Thanks.

I do have an issue with the wording "rock solid performance and stability."  I think I've groused about that very wording before myself.  I think that was a brazen and ill-chosen phrase of marketing-speak.

I'm on a MacPro 3,1, 10.6.8, Pr5.5.2.  Pr fails to export on occasions, and I have to relaunch or reboot to get Pr working again.  So, I wouldn't call that "rock solid performance and stability."  But, it hasn't left me high and dry and unable to finish working.

I think most of the crashes and sudden exits I've experienced have been due to corrupt footage, drivers for my Kona card, and with third-party plug-ins.  I've done a few projects with only one kind of footage and native effects, where I think it would be reasonable to call the experience "rock solid" and "stable."  So, I think that phrase can be true, under certain conditions, which is why the lawyers gave it the OK.

I would say that we're entitled to a working version of the product that we paid for.  If the next version has bugs that weren't fixed in the previous version, then I might agree that you have a case.

But, before we determine that it's the software at fault, and not your configuration, hardware, third party drivers or plug-ins, why don't you post your issue back in the Pr forum, be specific and detailed, and maybe we can build a case that it is indeed Adobe who has fallen short.  Application developers need to have a repeatable issue that will befall similar configurations before they'll admit that a problem exists.

• 11. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Thanks Jim.

I would LOVE a working version that doesnt crash occasionally ... doesn't have specific "Adobe" kernal panics . and encoding / rendering that uses more than 6% of my 12 ( 24 hyperthreaded ) processors ( which I will document visible from the Activity Monitor ) ... and some redesign of the loading of files between the RAID 0 and between then apps when Dynmaic Link is used ( Ungodly slow ) and definatly unusable in a workflow.

I dont have corrupt footage .. and it is standard Quicktime capture in standard DV.

It is not just the marketing speak .. it is the lack of attention I have got from Adobe ... and that on several occaisions my posts have been altered and shuffeled in the Forums .. and I accuse the moderator involved ( who is not a Mac user ) of conspircy to quell disgruntled customers from sharing their experience .. and being compensated by Adobe to do so.

This matter not only infuriates me .. it will be officially submitted to Adode Corp.for review .. along with my tech documentary about the benchmarks of the 12 Core running 5.5.

• 12. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
                              J. Simon Community Member
                              As far as my experience  ... This statment has never lived up to it's promise.

That's too bad, because my experience on a self-built Windows 7 machine really has lived up to the promise.  And I'd venture that applies to most folks using the suite on Windows 7.

Granted, it does seem Mac folks have issues Windows folks don't, so I leave you to draw your own conclusions there.

• 13. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
                                Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

> I accuse the moderator involved ( who is not a Mac user ) of conspircy to quell disgruntled customers from sharing their experience .. and being compensated by Adobe to do so.

Jeff is doing nothing to "quell disgruntled customers from sharing their experience". He's simply helping to clear non-technical conversations and rants from the forum where technical conversations are supposed to take place. The Lounge is not some invisible holding pen. It's linked to from the home page of the forum, and threads here get hundreds or thousands of views.

Also, the moderators (other than Adobe employees like me) are not compensated to do anything here. They're just trying to help.

If you want to be certain of getting an answer from Adobe, then you need to go through the Technical Support channels:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

This is a user-to-user forum, and there should be no expectation that any issue will be addressed here by Adobe personnel. We help out here in our free time as we choose.

Regarding your displeasure with the software that you paid for: We're sorry that you're not happy with it. If you contact Adobe Technical Support, they'll help you with your specific issues.

• 14. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Todd .. I was addressing a hardware specific issue in a Forum which the odds of having the most Mac Users whom may be having similar problems could reply.

The title of my post was based on attracting other users with my problems / issues.

Where the "Lounge" is linked is neither visible on the Adobe Forums page .. nor is it in the 109 links that appear in the pull down menu. It is located in another "General" click-to-open pull down menu .. in a forum that is a potporri of Joke threads and politics.

Todd ... THIS IS NO ....ING JOKE. .. and now I am even more upset with your reply.

You are familiar with my posts .. and I am familiar with your helping others. You claim that Adobe provides no compensation for your efforts .. then I ask you this:

What would inspire a 'moderator' that does not use a Mac to continuously follow my MAc specific posts .. edit them .. and shuffle me to areas where I cannot get feedback from other Mac users?

I dont like posting these .. and I am behind in much work. I dont have problems with other applications .. save for some minor problems that usually get addressed.

I have taken issues to support .. and in my next workflow process I will document the whole process that I believe is a major issue with at the very least a 12 Core Mac Pro .. and the Adobe Master Suite 5.5

• 15. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

1.) Notes: After 1/2 hour of editing .. the first apparent workflow problem is the way 'Linked Compositions' are handled between PP and AE ( as I stated before ). If one has a PP sequence with several clips that are 'Dynamically Linked" to AE .. editing them or adding more takes an unbearably long time. Each composition is pooled in the whole AE project .. and saving just ONE composition resaves the whole lot .. and the more you add .. the longer it takes .. and every time you change one thing .. the whole saving process does it again. This is absolutely ridiculous. If you have AE on "Auto Save" ( since it could crash ) this makes it even worse .. plus it locks up AE. Also hiding or switching back to PP is unresponsive unless one clicks the command several times.

• 16. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Now I have it defined:

I discovered the poor performance over a year ago .. related to the Dynmamic Link and it if documented in a Official Bug report filed with Adobe.

Adobe tech confirmed it ( over a year ago ) and I never heard back.

It is also documented in my Forum posts.

It took me a while to understand and get the verbage to describe what is happening.

Now the solution is what Adobe calls "Global Performance Cache" ... and Adobe considers it a 'Feature' .. whereas I have full documentation that the original problem is unsuccessful use of memory cause very poor performance on a Mac Pro ( in particular a 12 Core ) . / This may be because of weak implimentation of hyperthreading .. ???

Adobe should release this as an 5.5 update ..

I am now registered as:  Adobe No.# Case 18327604

• 17. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(
                                        Anthony Abegglen Community Member

As my wife would say "and you want WHAT" I think you stand less of a chance to getting a solution to your problem sorted, I can only remember one time that Adobe relented when PPro1 had major problems Adobe came to the table with PPro1.5, I cannot see you getting any further with your problem. I understand your anger and frastration, I had it with Avid products as whole, Adobe(CS4 nightmare) even with Canopus Edius pro5.At the end of the day you may have to do a total upgrade to PC and or CS6.just my 2cents

• 19. Re: Sign Mac OS X Petition: FREE Upgrade CS6 ... 5.5 does not perform as advertised. :(

Here is a screenshot of one series of errors:

Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 3.42.08 PM.png

If I am having slow performance due to file manipulation ... wouldn't these errors be a cause for concern?

Also the txt:

5/18/12 2:10:16.260 AM aeselflink: CFURLCreateWithString was passed this invalid URL string: '/System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework' (a file system path instead of an URL string). The URL created will not work with most file URL functions. CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPath or CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPathRelativeToBase should be used instead.

5/18/12 2:10:16.331 AM aeselflink: -[NSMenu menuID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1183100e0

5/18/12 2:10:17.333 AM aeselflink: -[NSMenu menuID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x115625740

5/18/12 2:10:18.320 AM aeselflink: -[NSMenu menuID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x115653cb0

5/18/12 2:11:18.596 AM [0x0-0x9b09b].com.adobe.aerendercore: You have at least one output module template that refers to a missing output plug-in.  Please check your Output Module Templates.