6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 7:11 AM by Production Monkey RSS

returning to a random cordinate?

elimann

basically i have an object set to appear at random co ordinate

start_x = random(800)

start_y = 300 + random(500)

sprite(ch).locH = start_x

sprite(ch).locV = start_y

when moving the object and then detect a collision with another object i want it too return to that random coordinate created above so far i can only set it

eg sprite(ch).locH = -1000

• 1. Re: returning to a random cordinate?
          Mister MUX

It's going to depend on your code but you just need to store the location in either a user-defined sprite property (best method) or a global variable. Where is this code found that you have posted, in a sprite behavior?

• 2. Re: returning to a random cordinate?
            Mister MUX Community Member

I am guessing your code is not in a sprite behavior, but that it is in a movie script somewhere. If that is the case it could look like this:

global gRandomStartingLoc

gRandomStartingLoc = point(random(800), 300+random(500))

sprite(ch).loc = gRandomStartingLoc

Then after the collision just reset the loc again

global gRandomStartingLoc

sprite(ch).loc = gRandomStartingLoc

• 3. Re: returning to a random cordinate?
              elimann Community Member

hi, thanks for your reply

that code i posted above is a sprite behaviour so i dont think the above will work

• 4. Re: returning to a random cordinate?
                Mister MUX Community Member

Actually it would, but it would be better to use a sprite property. Same code though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

property pRandomStartingLoc

pRandomStartingLoc = point(random(800), 300+random(500))

sprite(ch).loc = pRandomStartingLoc

on CollisionHandler me

sprite(spriteNum).loc = pRandomStartingLoc

end

------------------------------------------------------------------

So is this behavior attached to sprite(ch) ? If so, there's not need to reference the hard coded sprite name. You remove the hard coded sprite name so that it could be applied to another sprite and not need modifying. It makes for more "reuseable" code.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

property spriteNum, pRandomStartingLoc

pRandomStartingLoc = point(random(800), 300+random(500))

on CollisionHandler me

end

------------------------------------------------------------------

Going a step further, suppose you have multiplle sprites with similar behavior, except their random starting loc different. You can remove all hard coded values. This behavior could be applied to any number of sprites without changing the code. Each would be customizable through the parameters dialog.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

property spriteNum, pRandomStartingLoc, pMaxRandomX, pMaxRandomY, pXmodifier, pYmodifier

on beginSprite me

pRandomStartingLoc = point(random(pMaxRandomX) + pXmodifier, random(pMaxRandomY) + pYmodifier)

end

on CollisionHandler me

end

on getPropertyDescriptionList

description = [:]

addProp description,#pMaxRandomX, [#default:800, #format:#integer, #comment:"Max Random LocX"]

addProp description,#pMaxRandomY, [#default:800, #format:#integer, #comment:"Max Random LocY"]

addProp description,#pXmodifier, [#default:0, #format:#integer, #comment:"Add this amount to the random LocX"]

addProp description,#pYmodifier, [#default:0, #format:#integer, #comment:"Add this amount to the random LocY"]

return description

end

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 5. Re: returning to a random cordinate?
                  elimann Community Member

thanks it worked. there is another problem i have come across which is seperate

heres my dilema

i currently have 5 sprites and 5 different set co ordinates for each one to spawn into with individual behaviour scripts, however i want each sprite to spawn into one of the set co ordinate without more than one of them spawning into the same point.

so eventually each sprite will spawn into a random set co ordinate

is this possible?

so something like

pRandomStartingLoc = (200,100) (300,100) (400,100) so each sprite spawns into only one set of cordinates without more than one spawning into the same one

• 6. Re: returning to a random cordinate?
                    Production Monkey Community Member

For fun I modified Mister MUX's behavior to pick random locations with no overlapping sprites.

This is accomplished by adding a global list of rects that are in current use, and making sure no new sprite rects overlap any rects in the list.

The global list is initialized in a Movie script:

global gOccupiedRects -- list of rects that are currently used by sprites

on prepareMovie

gOccupiedRects = []

end  prepareMovie

And the modified behavior is:

property spriteNum, pRandomStartingLoc, pMaxRandomX, pMaxRandomY, pXmodifier, pYmodifier

property Sp  -- this sprite

global gOccupiedRects -- list of rects that are currently used by sprites. Cleared in movie script

on beginSprite me

Sp = sprite(spriteNum)

pRandomStartingLoc = point(random(pMaxRandomX) + pXmodifier, random(pMaxRandomY) + pYmodifier)

Sp.loc = pRandomStartingLoc

cnt = 0

repeat while (me.overlaps(Sp.rect))

cnt = cnt + 1

if cnt > 10000 then  -- don' t want to get stuck in an infinite loop

put("Can not find non-overlapping location to place sprite. Aborting")

abort()

end if

-- try new random location

end repeat

gOccupiedRects.add(Sp.rect)

end beginSprite

-- check if testRect intersects/overlaps any rect in gOccupiedRects list

on overlaps me, testRect

EmptyRect = rect(0,0,0,0)

repeat with aRect in gOccupiedRects

if (aRect.intersect(testRect) <> EmptyRect) then return true  -- true means overlap

end repeat

return false

end overlaps

on CollisionHandler me

end CollisionHandler

on getPropertyDescriptionList

description = [:]

addProp description,#pMaxRandomX, [#default:800, #format:#integer, #comment:"Max Random LocX"]

addProp description,#pMaxRandomY, [#default:800, #format:#integer, #comment:"Max Random LocY"]

addProp description,#pXmodifier, [#default:0, #format:#integer, #comment:"Add this amount to the random LocX"]

addProp description,#pYmodifier, [#default:0, #format:#integer, #comment:"Add this amount to the random LocY"]

return description

end getPropertyDescriptionList