20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 4:46 PM by edojp RSS

LR4 no exported video change-help please

sethro2117

Exporting from LR4 video there is no change to adjusted clip. I went through the clips from the the 5D mark II before I had LR4 in Quicktime and trimed and saved them. Made adjustments to the jpeg still. and synced the jpeg  preset and exported. Video exported with no change. Using 2.7 GHz Intel Corei5 10.6.8 12 GB of ram. Please help or guide me to a disscussion that I haven't been able to find among the many.

• 1. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
          Lee Jay Community Member

Select something other than "Original" when exporting.  "Original" means just what it says.

• 2. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
            sethro2117 Community Member

Thanks thats what I was doing  wrong. If the export is H264 is that creating a file with loss data? If I want to edited the file more In a different editing program (imovie-probably not the best but works for me) and export it will it degrade the quality?

I dont have experience with DPX. Should I use that instead?

• 3. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
              Lee Jay Community Member

sethro2117 wrote:

Thanks thats what I was doing  wrong. If the export is H264 is that creating a file with loss data?

Of course - same as re-saving a JPEG.  Each save is a lossy save.  However, the bit-rates in LR are very high so the loss is quite low.

• 4. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS75C39DDC-B701-4840-A703-0755A5C04878.html#WS 2bacbdf8d487e582-424a4e56134157e47bf-8000

Original :Exports the video in the same format, and at the same speed, as the original clip.

under this Adobe help link exporting video - it doesn't say anything about not exporting the file without changes. Why would I want to export a copy of the video without changes made in LR?

When exporting  as H264 I see a change. S0 "Original" means just what it says" and "Of course - same as re-saving a JPEG" isn't answering the question of exporting the video as original not exporting with lightroom changes. 

Is the DPX format lossless to the "original" or is the export choice of save as Original not  functioning correctly, saving the files with the same format, and same speed as the original with LR adjustment?

It looks like the DPX format is according to this link
                http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000178.shtml

under the Quality and Functionality Factors subsection isn' t for use in desktop PC applications. It seems that DPX is for archieveing much like the DNG or so it would seem in what I have found so far.

All in all is the DPX format what should be used for lossless work flow or is the save as Original  not functioning the way that it should?

• 5. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                  Lee Jay Community Member

It's the same with stills - select "original" on export, and you're exporting a copy of the original image, even if it's a raw or DNG file.

• 6. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please

Thanks Lee Jay for responding, but these vague replies aren't getting to the route of what I'm asking. It looks like this has been viewed 251 times anyone else care to help me out here. Why are the export options so limited in LR4? DPX? Why not Quicktime with all the options of export that an easy program like IMovie has. I sure hope LR5 is worth it! I'll keep looking for information. and add to this post or if someone wants to lead me to another post I would be happy to read another one.

Thanks again for the responses Lee Jay.

• 7. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                      Lee Jay Community Member

sethro2117 wrote:

Thanks Lee Jay for responding, but these vague replies aren't getting to the route of what I'm asking. It looks like this has been viewed 251 times anyone else care to help me out here. Why are the export options so limited in LR4?

Because that's all they implemented.  That's rather like asking why doesn't your front-wheel-drive car have four-wheel-drive - because it doesn't.

sethro2117 wrote:

DPX?

DPX is lossless (I think) for interoperability with other Adobe video products (and some non-Adobe products).

• 8. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please

I was replying from home the last few replays Without a copy of LR4. I'm back a work today and looking at the DPX it's definitely not something I can use right now. I guess I have to use lossy files until this is changed. Thanks again Lee Jay for your reply's even though they read like you were treating my like I'm less intelligent then you. Which isn't in line with forum rules or professionalism. But you were the only one that replied and I thank you for it.

sethro2117

• 9. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                          Cornelia-I Community Member

Hi Sethro2117,

I did not answer because I have no definite knowledge of this.

But AFAIK the root of the problem lies in that there is no "DNG-format for videos", nor a sidecar-xmp for them. So there is no destination for LR to write non-destructively to a video.

I would guess that the many different proprietary video capturing formats which the cameras employ are similarly documented than proprietary still raw formats.

So the best LR can do is interpret what it understands, and output it either into a format it fully understands (such as H264) or just do a simple copy algorithm of original.

Loss(lessness) may depend on the destination format.

Never mind with Lee Jay... I find his answers usually 100% correct, and often hardly useful, because he does not care to pick the asking person up where he/she might be.

In stark contrast to e.g. b_gossweiler (Beat), who has an excellent knack to guess where a user might be erring, and an very friendly way to give the right directions. Beat may be more intelligent than I am, but I like him very much for the fact that this is MY conclusion - and not one that transpires through his posts....

Cornelia

• 10. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please

Thanks for the reply Cornelia, I'm just really trying to figure out a good workflow for myself. IMovie for myself has been useful for quick comping for where I want to go and which clips I want to toss. Through my testing I have found that exporting through Quicktime using the animation setting the files are very large but the colors and dynamic range are really nice, better than H264. There are a few clips I would like to adjust with more of a light hand then IMovie is allowing so i turned to LR4. When there is going to be another round of compression for the overall edited comp clips and then another round for the final I would rather use the highest quality export from LR4. It seems in my research that would be DPX if I was using high end software.( which I don't have the money for right now and for this project.) It also seems that DPX doesn't carry sound which is really a different topic probably for a different forum. All in all I just hope that LR4 has more options in the future as they figure things out.

Thanks

• 11. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                              BorisJoe

There is confusion about LR4 video export, even among Adobe tech support AND J. Kosts' LR4 video tutorial on Adobe TV, where she misstates that 'changes will be applied to "Original" upon export, as well as the other 2 export formats'.  I posted (here) about this yesterday after viewing the Kost video and then spending 4 hours grading video clips... only to then spend another 2 hours on the phome w/ Adobe tech support where the mystery was finally solved.

It is unfortunate that our only choices for video clips graded in LR4 are either 'lossy' compressed mp4, or dpx which are recognized only by Adobe products.  Why not ".MOV" (at least)? 

And what good is grading video in LR4, when it can't  SHARPEN our clips?!?!?

• 12. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please

At this point it seems better to open your video into Photoshop CS3,CS4,or CS5( I think it might need to be extended version) and use adjustment layers and then export the video the way they you want. Retouching can be done 500 frames at a time. File>import>video frames to layers. for longer videos hold shift and drag the frames you want to

import to layers.

• 13. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                  MikeKPhoto Community Member

Also, apart from Kost providing a misleading statement, the PDF Help file on Video Export is misleading as well; quoting " Original - Exports the video in the same format, and at the same speed as the original clip. I would read this as you are exporting the changes you made, not simply exporting a file you already have. If that is the case I would think the documentation should be more specific, also Kost/Adobe needs to update the TV episode on Video and save folks from wasting their time

My 20 cents

• 14. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                    Cornelia-I Community Member

Hi Mike,

I understand your point and agree.

It is just as misleading for still images: I have been trapped by exporting "original" there as well... Your edits are not included either!

Cornelia

• 15. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                      unadog Community Member

I was also very frustrated at the limited export options in LR 4.0

I don't understand "Original" at all! What is the point - it is basically the same as copying a file in Windiws Eplorer, but it takes 100x as long. I had assumed this was a bug - that it was supposed to apply the Develop grade to the output.

So basically we are left with MPEG-4 at 4 different levels, and that is it!

I have CS 5.5 Production Premium, with CS 6.0 on the way. I'm looking forward to both PS and Premier Pro video editing, along with Speed Grade and all the other tools

At the same time the LR interface is unique and very useful in some cases. Are there plans to link LR to the Media Encoder, Speed Grade, and other back end tools with a LR UI?

Media Encoder at least would be easy, as they are already opening a dialog box to pick options. The difference is ME has about 5,750 options; LR has 4.

Is Adobe really going to commit to video support in LR after the CS 6.0 launch (when resources are available) and deliver much more in 4.1, 4.2, etc. or is it going to remain an absolutely minimal tool that does 3-4 basic functions, but no more in video?

Seems there is a gear chance to grab that lower end niche with an economical and easy to use tool, but with world class develop/grade/export modules behind it. But right now I can't see using it for much more than a kids BD party, with a trim, minor color correction , and export

Is there a design white paper, product development map, or even an interview that would shed more light on the vision fr video in LR? THANKS!

Michael

• 16. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please

I would really like the to be able to use most of the options in light room in video. It seems that you all are as frustrated at the limited editing and export options in LR4. I'm new to the forum and glad I'm not alone in these feeling about Lightroom. What is the difference between adjustment layers in PS effecting video and the editing tools in LR4. I'm not a programmer but it seems that the gradient adjustments and Adjustment brushes are kind of like stacking adjustment layers with out adding layer masks as a separate step.??? There must be a reason that they are not available in LR4. Maybe it was just a premature release. I think we just need to wait it out and see what they come up with to fix the problems Adobe has to take on. Thanks for all the responses. It seems more and more that PS and Lightroom are taking on features that other software has been designed to do. I like only having a few pieces of software but since i do mostly image editing and I'm getting into video like many Photographers. I have to use the software I have and I don't have Premier Pro.  I was hoping that at least the video could be exported in the highest resolution possible. Then it could be converted by so many other products to different sizes, even though that is silly to use two apps when one should do it. Give it time I guess.

Thanks for the conversations,

Sethro2117

• 17. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                          edojp Community Member

Hello,

I don't see a menu to select when exporting, that is  <choose "original"> or <choose edited version>. I have been exporting the originals but it would be nicer to export the trimmed versions (mov file from D600). I think the camera original files are H264. So far I have been exporting the whole original, then running them through MPEG Streamclip to get "better" and larger files,  then import the converted higher qaulity clips to imovie. Is there anyway to get my trimmed and maybe adjusted clips out of LR4, then run them through MPEG Streamclip? It would save space as most of the clips I am only using a small portion and would speed up MPEG Streamclip.

• 18. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                            edojp Community Member

Sorry, I found the choosable menu for Video on Expiort. (more used to working with photos). I iwll compare the original exported files with the H264 and see if there is any difference

• 19. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                              BorisJoe Community Member

Unfortunately LR can only export H264 files, if you've made any editing changes at all.  "Export original" does only that.  This is a real weakness in the program that I hope will be addressed in future versions of LR.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

• 20. Re: LR4 no exported video change-help please
                                                edojp Community Member

Am I right in assuming: that since the files from the D600 camera are supposed to be H264, they are imported straight from camera card into LR4, then the good ones selected, clipped, adjusted if necessary, then on export choose not "orginal" but H264...seems like I would get a file similar to the original format. After that I am running the clips through conversion in MPEG Streamclip as recommended by others who say H264 is NOT the best format for editing in FCP or imovies. How much if any quality might I be losing coming out of LR this way? (not sure if this is the best place for this question) Any reference links appreciated.