9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 8:01 PM by _Paz_ RSS

_Paz_ Community Member

Today I looked at a JVC GZE 10BUS HD camcorder priced at $229, no internal memory, so an SD card purchase would also be needed and would add approximately $75 to overall cost.

sd/sdhc card expandable memory

40X optical zoom

2.7" screen size

1080p High Definition Video; 1920 x 1080 / 60p output

image stabilization can be turned on or off

HDMI Out

dolby digital

face detection

time lapse recording

auto record when a subject enters the detection area

Super LoLux - bright in low light

back illuminated CMOS sensor

1/5.8-inch, 1.5 million pixel  back-illuminated CMOS allows you capture full HD images even in low light

2.7" LCD (230,000 pixels) for easy operation

40x optical zoom (in high definition) and 70x dynamic zoom (in standard definition) - In HD, you get up to 40x optical zoom - the industry's highest level. In SD, the Dynamic Zoom function uses nearly all of the effective pixels of the CMOS to achieve up to 70x magnification without any degradation of picture quality

Intelligent AUTO - Wherever you point the camera, it instantaneously analyzes faces, brightness, color and distance, automatically selects the best settings for the scene. Brightness, sharpness, chroma and gamma values, and more, all optimized

Advanced image stabilizer - Camera-shake compensation is another important feature of a video camera

Advanced image stabilizer expands the effective area at wide angle, delivering powerful compensation for camera shake. Now, you can enjoy stable results even if you're trotting alongside your subject

Easy upload to YouTube™ and Facebook (HD compatible)

AVCHD Lite and Standard Definition Dual Format - Record in AVCHD Lite to see results on an HDTV or burn 1280 x 720 resolution videos to a Blu-ray disc or DVD. In addition you can record in Standard Definition to edit 720 x 480 resolution videos for longer recording times

Time-lapse REC - Time-Lapse REC records one frame at a time at set intervals (1 second-80 seconds). So you can watch an hour-long movement in just a short amount of time when played back

Auto REC - When a subject enters the detecting area and the luminance changes, recording starts automatically. Recording continues as long as there is movement within the area and automatically stops after five seconds of no movement

2-way grip belt - Detachable strap is designed to work as a standard grip belt or a convenient wrist strap. You can choose which way to best match your style of shooting or carrying at any time

24Mbps high bit rate recording

K2 technology for high quality sound

1920 x 1080/60p output

HDMI® output (mini)

Konica Minolta HD lens

Pixela Everio MediaBrowser 4 for Windows®

Mobile user guide optimized for Smartphone viewing

Includes AC adapter, battery pack, AV cable, USB cable and Pixela Everio MediaBrowser 4 software

Happy about the low price for full HD, 40x optical, time lapse and image stabilization, I decided to check out some reviews before buying.  I came across reviews that indicated the 1.5 megapixel sensor size makes the full HD claim verge on dishonesty, and that the propriatery Everio .ced file format means video cannot be edited in other software (such as Premiere Elements 10).  bummer

So, I read a post here where someone is using a similar camera, a JVC Everio, so now I'm wondering what's what.

Does the 1.5 megapixel size mean the images would be lousy?  If so, how can JVC call it full HD?  Can a .ced file format be used with PE 10?

If this isn't a good choice, what other camcorders that have HD, high optical zoom, HDMI out, image stabilization, low light capability, possibly a tracking focus - and a price as low as possible - would be a good choice?

• 1. Re: Camcorders
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Don't be too concerned about the numbers. That camcorder will give you excellent looking video.

The bigger issue is that JVC Everios sometimes don't interface well with editing programs (including and especially Premiere Elements) as more traditional camcorder formats (like miniDV, HDV and AVCHD). They've gotten better -- but they're not without their liabilities.

So I'd recommend giving it a good test drive before you buy it. Take it all the way through shooting your video, capturing and editing and then outputting a DVD or BluRay disc.

Don't judge this cam based on reviews you've read online or by the numbers in the specs. Only you can say if it will work well with the type of video you shoot and how well it interfaces with Premiere Elements and your computer.

If the dealer won't let you test footage from the camcorder, don't buy it. My personal opinion anyway. I just think you're to have to live with this decision for a couple of years -- and I don't even buy a $29 shirt without trying it on first! So you sure don't want to make this decision based on price point alone.

• 2. Re: Camcorders
            John T Smith MVP

Buy an SD memory card, and a card reader you plug into a USB port, and do some testing in the store with your SD card

Take your SD card home and plug it into your card reader, and import the video into PrElements

If it edits well and you are happy with the A-to-Z results (as Steve says) then buy the camera

My experience with the above idea...

I have a $1,000 Canon Vixia camera for "nice" video, which works really well for me

I also have a 6 year old Kodak still camera that has lost the ability to do file transfers via USB

So... I am looking for a new still camera, and decided to check a camera that would also do video

I recently looked at the Nikon L120 because Costco has a $90 coupon

I took my SD card to my local Costco, and did some filming

I decided NOT to buy the L120 because the auto focus (only) lens would NOT lock on focus in video mode when the telephoto zoom was used

You need to decide what works for you... by doing an actual test

I agree with Steve... if the dealer won't let you use your SD card for a test... don't buy from that dealer

• 3. Re: Camcorders
              _Paz_ Community Member

John and Steve,

"Try before you buy."

Excellent idea!  I think I'll do exactly that.  I've been doing more research and have found another model that has all the features I particularly want with this model and more besides, including a larger sensor, so I may buy the more expensive model.  Either way, it won't hurt me to have an extra card.

All the same, there is the file format problem.  I've checked out the import settings on Premiere Elements 10 and don't see any that seem to fit the bill:

1920 x 1080/60p output

24 Mbps high bit rate recording

What does the /60p mean?

Then the camcorder info also says:

"Record in AVCHD Lite to see results on an HDTV or burn 1280x720 resolution videos to a BluRay disc or DVD."

Under AVCHD, one of the settings is: 

AVCHD Lite 720p60

That wouldn't take advantage of the full resolution, and would expect 59.94 frames per second.

Another is:

AVCHD Lite 720p

Also, not full resolution and would expect 23.976 frames per second.

And then under DSLR there is:

1080p 24 for 23.976, which seems like it might be the best choice.

• 4. Re: Camcorders
                Steve Grisetti MVP

As I show you in my books, with AVCHD, Premiere Elements is capable of working natively with the following resolutions and frame rates:

1920x1080 30i

1440x1080 30i

1280x720 24p

1280x720 30p

1280x720 60p

I would recommend against buying a camcorder that does not shoot in any of these formats. I'd particularly warn against camcorders that ONLY shoot in 1920x1080 60p.

• 5. Re: Camcorders
                  _Paz_ Community Member

I've been digging...

found the following specs:

JVC Everio GZ-HM690BUS

(I think the US means for United States as this camcorder seems to have NTSC only)

(This model has a 3.2 sensor instead of the 1.5)

Recording/Playback format:  AVCHD standard

Video:  AVC/H.264

Audio:  Dolby Digital 2ch

Extension:  .MTS

Signal system NTSC standard

Video Recording Modes:

AVCHD  - UXP / XP / SP / EP

[AVCHD] Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

Audio: Dolby Digital (2ch),

Still: JPEG

Standard Definition - SSW / SEW

[Standard Definition]

Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

Audio: Dolby Digital (2ch),

Still: JPEG

Still Image Sizes:

4:3 1440 x 1080/ 640x 480

16:9 - 2400x1344 / 1920x1080

Image Quality (Video)

UXP = 1920 x 1080 pixels average approximate  24 Mbps

XP = 1920 x 1080 pixels average approximate 17  Mbps

SP = 1920 x 1080 pixels average approximate 12 Mbps

EP = 1920 x 1080 pixels average approximate 4.8 Mbps

SSW (16:9) 720 x 480 pixels (interlaced) average approximate 6.2 Mbps

SEW (16:9) 720 x 480 pixels (interlaced) average approximate 3 Mbps

.......................................................................................... .............................................................................

Q:  For the highest video record setting,

UXP = 1920 x 1080 pixels average approximate 24 Mbps, it still appears to me that the best choice for selection into Premiere Elements 10 would be the DSLR 1920x1080 at 24p, however, I'm not at all sure the DSLR  video file format would work with an AVCHD camcorder.

I've been checking out YouTube videos made with this camcorder and both Sony Vega software and Final Cut ProX have been used for editing.   (Steve, I saw that you've written a Sony Vega book as well.  If that program will work and Premiere Elements won't, I could switch software, but naturally, I'd rather not, if PE 10 will work.)

• 6. Re: Camcorders
                    Steve Grisetti MVP

24 Mbps is, of course, the bit rate (picture quality), not the frame rate, Paz. So you wouldn't want to shoot in 1920x1080 24p if you planned to edit in Premiere Elements.

As I said above, you want to shoot in 30i.

Vegas Movie Studio is a bit better with non-standard camcorder rates -- but it will still perform version slugglishly and demand a lot of rendering if you put in formats it can't edit natively (and that would include 1920x1080 24p).

• 7. Re: Camcorders
                      _Paz_ Community Member

Steve Grisetti wrote:

24 Mbps is, of course, the bit rate (picture quality), not the frame rate, Paz.

Well, rats!

It doesn't have 30i.  The JVC poop about it is that what it does have is the best thing since sliced bread.  (Actually, I bake my own bread and have to slice it.  hmph!)

I tried several camcorders in my local store and the JVC Everio by far did the best job of quickly securing focus and holding it while people walked toward and away from me.  I really, really like the 40x optical zoom.  I need an HDMI connection to see what I'm actually filming while I make 'how to paint' videos.  I love it that this camcorder has time lapse.  I've done time lapse video of my water lilies opening by going out and shooting every 5 minutes or so and that's a pain.  I especially like it that this camcorder can be set on a spot and will record as long as there is motion and will cut off 5 seconds after there is no motion, and will come back on when there is motion again.  Perfect for getting footage of squirrels and birds at my birdfeeder without having to stick around and personally feed the mosquitos.   (I'm working on childrens' stories featuring squirrels, in particular.)

I don't know of another camcorder that has the above features that WILL use Premiere Elements... if anyone does, I'd love to hear about it.  If there isn't anything else, I may still go for it and see what can be done with the proprietary software that comes with it.  I'll probably try the download of Sony Vega too, and if I can get it to work, I'll buy your book for that one too, Steve! (lol)

Thanks again, Steve and John.

• 8. Re: Camcorders
                        Steve Grisetti MVP

I'd double-check with JVC, Paz. Although the specs page brags that the camcorder shoots in 60p, I'd be very surprised if it didn't also shoot in 30i or 60i.

If everything else about the cam is perfect for you, I wouldn't throw in the towel so quickly!

• 9. Re: Camcorders
                          _Paz_ Community Member

It does seem strange that they would veer so far from the standarad path, doesn't it?

Did I mention it will focus within 12 inches???

And an underwater housing is available?  (we sail along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.)

thanks again,

(I'm gonna try it!)