• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another slow performance question

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read a few threads here about this problem. Had not until now experienced it.  Running Robohelp 8.02 locally on the C drive, creating projects locally. Yesterday, no problem. At some point today, suddenly it was taking much longer to save and load.  Normally saves are a second or two, sometimes 10 to 30 seconds.  Now its a minute and half to two minutes more often than not.  And long delays loading the project.

I did nothing out of the ordinary today.  Tried restart, ditching the project .cpd file, even did the fix mentioned on Peter Grainger's site.  Nothing seems to help. I thought at first something got corrupted today in my project. Set about starting over with yesterday's backed up, thiniing that would bypass the problem content. But it's the same thing with yesterday's project.

Everything still works, which is the good news. But I'd rather not wait so long, and defer saves for that reason. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Michael D.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

The only thing that comes to mind here is that perhaps you haven't organized topics into folders and you have the whole project lumped together inside a single folder. Is that by chance the case? If so, perhaps it's time to begin thinking about rearranging things by sorting topics into folders of similar topics.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or perhaps your network guys changed the way your antivirus is checking files? We've had problems in the past with the AV checking every time it opens and closes every file, which slowed things down considerably, especially when using source control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments folks. I may have figured this one out.  Also, perhaps those fixes did help. 

Further testing reveals that opening projects and topics seems to work well now.  One topic takes forever to save.  Happens to be a topic with hundreds of imagemap links.  So I replicated the topic from scratch, progressively copying in sections and saving.  Sure enough, it took longer and longer to save. Got to the part where I added 3 or 4 text links (which is the point at which I noticed the problem on Friday), and it takes even longer. Seems to be hitting some kind of limit.

What's encouraging is that it's not global now. That's where I suspect the fixes mentioned have helped. It's only this one topic that seems affected.  Also encouraging that there is no corruption. Just too many links.

MD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you tell us what changes you made that seemed to improve things? It could help others that come here searching for a similar issue.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick:

I did two things. First tossed the CPD file. Second, added the renamed TXT files as mentioned by Peter Grainger here:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm  (see "RH8 is slow opening topics in the WYSIWYG editor").

I cannot be sure of the effect, but was having the problem (it seemed) in a more general way before applying those fixes. Now it's clearly local, with the long save limited to one problem topic.  So thanks again to all you helpful people. Very reassuring to be able to come here and ask.

MD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp