• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF showing overprint preview

Enthusiast ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to output a PDF that looks like Aunt Illie's Overprint Preview?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, what exactly is the purpose of your request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Illustrator CS5.

overprint.PNG

I want to output PROOFs for customers that are more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means it is rather inappropriate to tell them to turn on Overprint Preview in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, right?

If so, take a copy of the file, do a Flatten transparency and save as .pdf

Sometimes you would first have to apply a midget transparency value to all objects (e. g. 99 % opacity).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overprint preview is just an on-screen simulation of the artwork it is not changing any color values at all.

If you're making color proofing prints you should have a calibrated RIP that handles the color rendering accurately, otherwise if you just want to sent a on-screen preview for customers you could make a screen capture of your overprint-preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the Overprint Preview setting thing is great to know. I'm only just now getting heavily into prepress file set up so I'm figuring all this out for the first time.

@Kurt & Larry - I think it works really well, but actually instructing all customers to change that setting I'm almost positive will only cause more confusion than anything . . . but I still may try it. Perhaps an instructional screenshot, just like you attached, Larry. Might just do the trick! Hmm, what aboput those without Acrobat, who only have Adobe Reader? Does Reader include this functionality?

@Tommy - I actually did exactly that for the proof I output today. But . . . I don't want to be stuck with that everytime there are overprint elements or fluorescent inks used in a design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, what aboput those without Acrobat, who only have Adobe Reader? Does Reader include this functionality?

Yes, it's there in recent versions of Acrobat Reader.

On the other hand, have you already tried the other suggestions in post 3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ok, thanks.

Ah yes, I meant to comment on that - I tried it and it seemed to do nothing. Though, I don't understand Flatten Transparency at all. I've read about it, but have never worked with it.

Here's my attempt:

overmydeadprintedbody.PNG

Afterward, it all looked and seemed to be unchanged.

Another screenshot for ya (with no Flatten Trans done) - The pink swooshy shapes are screens of a PMS, set to overprint. Here you can see my setup with one selected, along with my workspace panels mess (yes, that's a little extra Hieronymous B. wallpaper action for the fine art lovers in tha hizzouse):

overprint on.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Snikes I just unchecked "Preserve Overprints and Spot Colors" in the Flatten Transparency dialogue and something magical happened!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's set to Automatic by default in 9 and 10 so someone would have had to go in and change it to see something different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a file from AI saved as a PDF and opened in Acrobat. The orange rectangle is set to overprint in AI. For Acro9 and above I think that Overprint Preview is automatic. If it detects it, it will show it.

Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 12.14.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way to create a pdf proof directly from Illustrator that looks like your screen does with the Overprint Preview on (and without having to take a screenshot instead).  If you go to your color swatches and then down to "Spot Colors" and change the color definition to LAB instead, when you get out of that, your color will look like overprint on even if you do not have that option selected AND your PDF created from Illustrator will also look like that.  However, you do not want to save it with LAB colors, so undo or don't save the file that way. This is new to me as well, I was just researching some of this same stuff today and read a great article about the OP and LAB colors, etc., that led me to make this PDF proof discovery.  If you are intretested in the article to understand more... http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2007/02/busting-myth-achieving-consistent-color.html

Like I said, I discovered this today and it seems to have worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not tried isladive's method yet.

Can anyone confirm that new insight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gahh, haven't got around to it yet, Kurt. Soon, soon . . . though I'd rather someone more experienced with this madness test it out.

But, I would like to announce that Flatten Transparency has solved yet another one of my Illy conundrums - When you Release an object's Envelope Distort > Make With Warp and you get that grey shape warped to the shape of the distortion envelope. I've always wanted to use to use it for certain things but could nevber figure out how to convertin it into a normal path. No longer.

woooooooooooo.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Isladive,

can you provide a sample .ai file including some more instructions?

Your idea sounds promising. I'm not sure if it really works, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines