• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader 10.1.3 for Mac doesn't print pdf's from web

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday we updated to Adobe Reader 10.1.3.  Now we can't print any pdf's from the web. In some cases we can save the files and open in Reader - those files print. However some web pdf's, like Stamps.com postage, don't allow the files to be saved.  Any suggestions?  We've tried Safari & Firefox, re-installing Reader, running Disk Utility and re-starting the Mac.

When we try to print pdf's from the web, the print preview page in the print dialogue box is empty/white ... so the content to be print isn't even getting that far.

We are running Snow Leopard OS - 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Joan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, also with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. In Firefox, when I try to download a pdf, it just opens a blank Web page with the pdf address in the location box. Nothing there. In Safari, it opens the pdf within the Web browser and I can arrow through the pages within the browser, but I can't save the file out as a pdf (dialog box, could not be saved) and I can't print the pdf from within the Web brower - only one blank page comes out of the printer.

Previously with all versions of Acrobat, in Firefox, the pdfs downloaded automatically, separately from the Web browser (my preference), upon going to that pdf location on the Web. How can I do this again?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try launching Firefox in 32 bit mode

->Go to Applications

->Command click Firefox app to open the context menu

->Choose Get Info Check ‘Open in 32-bit mode’

Launch Firefox now and try to open a pdf. This should work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to open Firefox in 32 bit mode does not seem like a viable solution.  This used to work in Firefox.  How come this update broke it?  I can't tell the users on my website that they need to configure their Firefox browser differently to work with Adobe Reader - the reader should work with Firefox 64 bit on a Mac.  Will there be a subsequent update to fix this?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify - I get blank pdfs when viewing from the web on a Mac using Firefox version 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither the Firefox nor the Safari "fix" works for this problem.  I'm off to find an older version of Reader...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the solutions listed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4338063

"Can you please check your preview box present at the right bottom corner of print dialog. Is the preview coming right?

If no, then please try changing 'Comment and Forms' option present just above it. Try selecting 'Document and markups'."

If yes, Please let me know if it works or not.

Also, Could you provide more information:

->Which Printer are you using

->Can you print from Safari/firefox for non-pdf pages. Please try printing any html page and see if works

->Can you removing and readding your Printer and then see if it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try printing using the 'Print' button on PDF toolbar. This should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing the 32 - 64 - 32 bit shuffle, using the Print button on the PDF toolbar seems to work, on both Firebox and Safari. I spent over an hour on this, however. Previous versions don't have a toolbar at the bottom, and it only shows when you mouse over it. So it's completely unintuitive.

Why do upgrades make easy tasks more difficult? Also, when Adobe installs an upgrade, why not tell users what they need to do to make it work? You make users go through all these steps to accept your terms, why not insure that they understand how to use it?

This makes me reluctant to do further upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Safari,

Please launch your Safari in 64 bit mode and then try viewing/printing the pdf. We don't support Safari 5.1 in 32-bit mode.

->Go to Applications

->Command click Safari app to open the context menu Choose Get Info

->UnCheck ‘Open in 32 bit mode’

Launch  now and try to open a pdf. This should work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our Safari is already operating in 64 bit mode - the 32-bit-mode was already unchecked.  And the problem here is not opening pdfs - they open fine. However no web pdf will print - we just get a blank page on the print dialogue box, and a subsequent blank page if we continue to actually print. Saving the page is not an option with sites like Stamps.com, which only allow one print cycle per pdf.  Any other suggestions??

Also - I notice that there are more and more posts in the Adobe Reader forum about this issue (10.1.3 and web pdfs).  Please Help!  As pdf is now pretty much the industry standard, and supposed to be the "portable document format", one would think that there shouldn't be this much trouble using them on the web. (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution that worked for me! I am running MAC OS 10.7.3 with Firefox 8.0.1. I couldn't open the PDF files as you described....very frustrating! What I found that worked:

1) Open the Prefences under Firefox

2) Go to General

3) Down at the bottom there is a button 'manage add-ons"- click on it

4) Go to Plugins and find Adobe Acrobat plugin- DISABLE IT!!!

Go back to website and open PDF and it works!

Made my day.

Good luck....I hope it works for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a similar solution for disabling the Adobe Acrobat plug-in within Safari?  I can't seem to find a place to "manage add-ons" but this is very annoying!

I finally found out how to save or print from within this version, at the floating palette at the bottom.  But I liked the way things worked before this, (possibly using Preview or another Plug-In that came with Safari?)  I fear what will happen when I upgrade to Mountain Lion later this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about Safari as I currently us Firefox.

Gillian Budine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough, when I use Firefox, Adobe Reader isn't involved, and any PDFs download and then display in Prevew. I don't know why not Reader, but I'm delighted about that. But, I mainly use Safari.

But again, I imagine that everything will change overnight after installing Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8), due to come out in 2 days. Maybe this has convinced me to not rush, and wait to see what problems others have with it first, something I always plan to do but never do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this on the Apple Support Communities.  Its quick and simple.  I am using a Mac running OS 10.8 and I use Adobe Acrobat X, not the reader version.  In case you don't know - To access the Library you need to go through the harddrive.  Hope this helps.

Go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

If you see the  Adobe PDF browser plugin in the Internet Plug-Ins folder, move it to the Trash. ( I deleted AdobePDFViewer.plugin)

Quit then relaunch Safari ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines