• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a booklet with multiple pages on 11x17

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets first discuss the finish size and the expectation of my output to help establish my goal. I want a 8.5x11 booklet that is cut and saddle stapled from a 11x17 sheet. Typically I create booklets by using a 8.5x11 spread design. Lets say the booklet is 1 through 8 in pages. I would create the spread (pg.1 and pg.8) - page one - (pg.2 and pg.7) page two, and so on. I would have to print the pages as they are going to be "folded" into each other. Is there an easier way that I can make pages 1 through 8 and I can export the page numbers to align with their specific spread automatically?

When I have to make a 48 page spread booklet I have to start with page 48 and page 1 (because those are the cover and back page) then 2 and 47 (on a spread) - Is there an easier method?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Create your document as 48 pages, facing pages.

When complete, File > Print Booklet (I'm assumeing you are CS3 or higher)

Print Booklet requires setting 2 up Saddlestitch, clicking the Print Setting for the normal dialog of sheet size and orientation, than back to the Print Booklet main dialg. It takes some getting used to..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create your document as 48 pages, facing pages.

When complete, File > Print Booklet (I'm assumeing you are CS3 or higher)

Print Booklet requires setting 2 up Saddlestitch, clicking the Print Setting for the normal dialog of sheet size and orientation, than back to the Print Booklet main dialg. It takes some getting used to..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response. I am a bit onfised though. I am using CS5.5, but what if I wanted to export the file to provide it to the printer to print? I can't "Print Booklet" to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you can Print to PDF. In the Print dialog you would select Adobe PDF as the printer. As a rule, you should not have to supply imposed pages to a print vendor. Suppose you had a 80 page booklet - are you able to compensate for that amount of creep/shingling? That is typically their job; their equipment, knowledge, expertise. If they accept imposed pages, suppply such, but that practice will toss a large wrench into the workflow of many larger shops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for another quick response. Is it best to package all content and have their pre-production team sort it at to work on their printers? Your help is very insightful.. Thanks so much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 years back native files were exchanged routinely, but a properly prepared pdf is now the norm.  (There's 90% less that can go wrong with a pdf and considerably smaller files to exchange)

I cannot speak for every production facility, you shuld discuss this detail with them. Typically, you're responsible for a pdf with proper resolution, page size, bleed allowance if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I've got Adobe CC - latest versions of everything, including a full license of Acrobat.  I've had a full license of Acrobat ever since I started using the Creative Suite 4 years ago.  And when I go to Print Booklet, I NEVER have PDF as a printer option.  Never, ever, ever - it drives me crazy. 

How can I get PDF as a printer option?  I need to print a booklet to PDF, and the only way I'm going to be able to get my facing pages to an 11x17 format right now is to do it manually.  Which I'd really rather not do.  The print house I'm working with won't do it for me, so I need help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.8.4 - but it's been the same through all OS upgrades - it's never been available as an option. 

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, then what's the solution to the problem?  I have an InDesign document with multiple facing pages that I need to output to PDF in booklet format.  Please, please tell me there is a way to do this.  I really can't comprehend designing books in 11x17 format in InDesign because this feature was taken away.  What do you suggest?

I've seen some info about installing a PDF Virtual Printer.  Is that something you guys offer or do I have to guess at a software package to help with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many pages is the original file? - you can manually place 36 pages in a couple of minutes - placing either pdf's of the document or native InDesign files.

There is a script which will automate this, I expect Peter will chime in with a link - search for Multi Page Importer Script Scott Zanelli

If you're looking to impose more than 36-48 pages, see my reply about creep and shingling. Your layout will require ample non-content at the outside edge (away from the spine). I'm sure your "can't impose" printer cannot accomodate for the creep either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, not many - only 4.  But I have some longer books in the works that are going to be 20+ pages.  I'll look at the creep and shingling, but I'm self taught, so I'm not sure what that means.

I will search for the importer script and hopefully the instructions are clear for a non-programmer type like me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script is here

Unless I mis-read the article at InDesign Secrets, I believe all that is required is to select Save As PDF from OSX these days.

Your longer books, find a new printer.

Creep - Saddlestitching. Pages are folded and nestled together. The interior sheet hangs out equal to the thickness of the paper times two times the number of sheets nestled. Typical book stock is .004, the interior sheets will  creep out 1/16 inch on an 48 page book with a text weight cover; add some distance for a 10pt cover stock. The booklet is face trimed to make the edge even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how do you Save as PDF in Booklet format from a document with facing pages to create the 11x17 spread?

Really disappointing that Adobe would take away the PDF feature from Print to Booklet, I have to say.  Don't a lot of people design books in InDesign that need this feature to output to PDF? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jen6566 wrote:

Really disappointing that Adobe would take away the PDF feature from Print to Booklet, I have to say.

It wasn't by choice. Apple changed the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.  bummer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this not work? (From within the Print Booklet  Dialog)

Capture.JPG

Bob needs to chime in, I'm PC based.

Jen6566 wrote:

Don't a lot of people design books in InDesign that need this feature to output to PDF?

No - there are good reasons not to.

Not all 8.5 x 11 books are printed on 11 x 17 for starters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feature is not available to me from the Print Booklet Dialog.  That's the problem.  Peter just said this is due to an OS change from Apple.  So I guess I'll just have to figure out another way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the link I gave you to IDImposer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Flavin wrote:

Does this not work?

Not in Print Booklet, only in the regular Print Dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not all 8.5 x 11 books are printed on 11 x 17 for starters"

Yes, Dan, but in which case, all the more important for repaginating to book format after the design work is done, or is Adobe expecting us to design while performing headstands before our computer monitors? Jumping in here with full press production and fine press typesetting from lead and hand-binding experience, which I am thinking would be much faster technology than waiting for Apple and Adobe to resolve their conflicts that leave their clients as collateral damage, lol.

Okay, Peter, I've tried saving as Postscript, resulting in 300+MB .ppd file for mere 24-pg booklet; now what? Wish I could afford offset, but as is, my current plans for output are color copier, and I damn sure know some pimple-faced kid working behind the counter and who doesn't know the diff betw RGB and CMYK is not going to be able to troubleshoot a workaround to Adobe/Apple war.

Downloading and installing some unheard of 3rd party imposition software/utility with goodness know what support/not available also not a very satisfying soln. InDesign's Print Booklet option already seemed like a fly-by-night afterthought to the problem of output output output…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frida_bandita wrote:

Okay, Peter, I've tried saving as Postscript, resulting in 300+MB .ppd file for mere 24-pg booklet; now what?

Presumably you you mean .ps file, not .ppd, and the "now what" is you distill the .ps to PDF using Acrobat Distiller.

But I don't understand what you have against a third party plugin, though for a 24 page booklet it's probably overkill. For simple 2-up saddle stitch with no crossovers and no need for creep, you can't beat Dave Saunders' script at http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip which makes a new file with correctly shuffled pages that you can then export normally to PDF from ID with the Spreads box checked that any pimple-faced kid can run on the copier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, helpful clue from a student commenter from Peter's link to InDesign secrets. Print Booklet to printer, doesn't matter what, as long as that printer capable of 11x17 pages (my little hanging in there HP laser does not, but thankfully I used to be connected to a larger Epson, drivers also conflicting w/ Apple "improved" OS btw), review all options/settings carefully to best fit your personal collection of hardware/software/output desires, save to Postscript, and then go create new file from Acrobat with resulting ppd. Phwew. ~2MB pdf from ~400MB ppd. Back flips.

Seriously reconsidering going back to Windows if I am ever "rich" again. Or maybe Adobe will develop Linux versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frida_bandita wrote:

...and I damn sure know some pimple-faced kid working behind the counter who doesn't know...

Actually, the pimple-faced kid doesn't have to sort out the Apple/InDesign/Print Booklet mess. Acne notwithstanding, the kid is likely better equipped to print a booklet than any InDesign user. I've never been to a copy shop where the equipment is capable of folding and saddlestitching 11 x 17, but not capable of imposing that booklet right at the printer interface. A shop with customer-only imposition would be out of business in a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines