• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing raw+jpeg

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my camera set to shoot raw+jpeg.  When I import into Lightroom 3.6, is there a way to set the import up so that I only import the raw images?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit your Preferences (General Tab) and make sure the highlighted box is unchecked:

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  That box is unchecked but I still see both the raw and jpeg in the folder after import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting only has an effect on imports done afterwards, so try a new import and see what happens.

When you talk about “folder” do you mean he disk-folder, or the LR-folder? Treating RAW+JPG as a single entity should show only the RAWs in LR but both files will be put into the disk folder, if you are copying/moving from somewhere else into the final disk-folder destination.

If you have more questions, you might be more specific about your import process and the version of LR you are using. Some have said their combined RAW+JPG import is only showing JPGs when they are finished, using one of the recent or current beta versions of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

I am importing from my CF card and the destination is a folder on my hard drive.  I'm using LR 3.6 (specified in original post).

Maybe my original question was not clear.  When importing images from my CF card to my hard drive, I only want to copy the raw images, not the jpegs.  Even though the TREAT JPEG FILES NEXT TO RAW FILES AS SEPARATE PHOTOS box is not checked, the jpegs are still copied to my hard drive.  Maybe the easiest thing would be to delete the jpegs from the CF card before import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

krawfo wrote:

Even though the TREAT JPEG FILES NEXT TO RAW FILES AS SEPARATE PHOTOS box is not checked, the jpegs are still copied to my hard drive.  Maybe the easiest thing would be to delete the jpegs from the CF card before import.

The option "Treat JPEG files as separate photos" has to be checked! Thus both JPG and RAW files will show up in the import selection screen. However you'll need to de-select the JPG files manually before running the import process, which is still not very comfortable, since afaik files cannot be selected/sorted by file type

If you don't need the JPG at all, why don't you set your camera to save only RAW files? In terms of file handling this is the easiest way to save time, effort and storage space.

P.S.: while Jim recommended to uncheck the option, this most likely doesn't solve your problem. It makes LR treat JPGs as a sidecar file of the RAW file, so they are not visible inside LR but of course they still exist in the file system just like the 'real' sidecars files of type XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot copy only the RAW files during import if you have both RAW+JPG on your CF card.

You can import everything into LR (with RAW+JPG as SEPARATE FILES) and then use the filter-bar (\ key in Library), adding File Type to the set of filters and clicking on JPG to reveal only those and then selecting them all and right-click-Delete Photos… (From Disk not only Remove from catalog), then setting the Filter back to All File Types.

You can delete the photos from your CF card before the import process.

You can switch your camera to RAW-only so you don’t get the JPGs to start with. What is your reason for shooting RAW+JPG then only caring about the RAWs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this may be an improvement in LR4 then. I never had a LR 3.6 version. In LR4 on the Import screen you can manually choose files to be imported by ticking a checkbox underneath the respective thumbnail (or leave the JPGs unchecked), provided that the option 'Treat JPEG files as separate files' is switched on. Otherwise the JPEG files wouldn't show up on the Import screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR3 and 4 have the same sort of Import panel with checkboxes by each image. If you have only a few this is ok. If you have hundreds you’d have to click things individually, one-by-one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot Raw+JPG because I print on location, which requires jpg. But I also process for client delivery (after the event) from the raw files. Once the event is over, I don''t need the jpgs.

Since "sort by file type" is available immediately after importing, couldn't the same option be made available via the import dialog? Every other browser lets you sort a list of images on the camera card by file name extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there anyway inside Lightroom to delete only the jpgs files associated to the raw? Or I can just delete them at the finder..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines