Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 Webhelp Merged project - one child not updating on rebuild

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Am still learning RH8 so please bear with me. Have solved quite a few problems already but one I can't seem to figure out.

I am in the process of building a merged help system. My test project is working ok now however, when rebuilding one child project and then rebuilding the parent project, that child project does not get updated within the parent project.

What a I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Silly question here. You, ummm, DID remember to publish the child, right? I don't believe publishing the parent will carry all the child projects along.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the lightning fast response. I first gen child and then gen parent, the other child updates fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time you create a merge you must generate the parent first. Thereafter I have found that I only need to generate the parent if it changes including the addition of new child projects.

As you are having problems, I would generate the parent and then all the children. In particular check the locations to which you are generating.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think I got it working but I do not understand it one bit.

I had two child projects, the one was updating fine, the other was not. Because the one worked I assumed I could simply generate the child and then generate the parent (having the child projects in the TOC of the merged project).

After genning once again, neither of my child projects appeared. I then created another child, added it to the TOC of the parent, and then generated the child straight into the mergedProjects subfolder.

The new child is now there but also the other two which I did not generate into the mergedProjects folder .

It works now but still I feel I am doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if you figure out what!

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I acquire any wisdom on the subject, I will most certainly share it. For now though, I seem to be creating more problems than solutions .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not responding earlier but am in a deadline crunch and figuring out stuff is a real hassle.

For now my solution to the child problem is probably not the official way but it has worked for me for all the child projects I had to add.

- Create and fill the child project.

- Gen the child project (I gen everything into a separate output folder).

- Edit the parent project, adding the new child in the TOC.

- Gen the parent project.

- In WinExplorer go to the SSL folder of the parent and note that in the mergedProjects folder the new child is added, the subfolder is empty.

- Go to the output folder of the new child and copy the content (SSL).

- Paste the content of the child into the appropriate subfolder of the mergedProjects folder.

- Start the merged help to check all children including the new one, show up in the TOC.

Not the cleanest way but the most reliable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the easier way.

1. Create the child project. (Creation is all that is necessary at this stage)
  2. Edit the parent project, adding the new child in the TOC.
  3. Gen the parent project. This will to create the target folder under mergedProjects to which the child is generated.
  4. Create the child content.
  5. Gen the child project to the folder RoboHelp created under mergedProjects.
  6. Start the merged help to check all children including the new one, show up in the TOC.

Steps 1 -3 are only required once.

When the child needs editing, you make your changes and generate direct to the mergedProjects.  Easier and less risky.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, thanks. Yes, genning directly into the mergedProjects folder was my first attempt. It worked for some child projects but mysteriously not for others. I am under to much time pressure to figure out why it doesn't work consistently so copying the child projects manually was my quick and dirty fix .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The most likely reason for it not working is that you had not added the child toc to the parent and regenerated the parent. That or you did not amend the child output folder.

More haste, less speed. Still works.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp