7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 3:32 PM by station_one RSS

Histogram in Bridge?

-Agfaclack- Community Member

i have to admit i just started using bridge more often.

before i have used acdsee for viewing my images but because of some issues, that i think will never be solved, i dropped it.

my question is why has bridge no histogram (luminance and RGB)?

personally i don´t need an extra preview window, that screen space is wasted for me as the tumbnails are enough... but if i had a histogram instead of the preview panel, that would be usefull for me.

i know this:  http://www.maurodalfreddo.it/software/mdbr-histogram

but really.... why no build in histogram??

• 1. Re: Histogram in Bridge?
          PECourtejoie ACP

Hello, check this thread from the feedback site, someone has created a panel, but it seems to be time consuming: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/histograms_in_bridge

You should vote for that suggestion as well.

EDIT: you edited your post while I was posting my answer...

• 2. Re: Histogram in Bridge?

i just added my comment on the feed back site.

but i wonder why such a obvious and important feature is missing in bridge.

adobe should not need user feedback to see the importance of a histogram.

• 3. Re: Histogram in Bridge?
              PECourtejoie ACP

Part of the issue is that Bridge supports more than photos. Illustrator, InDesign Files, videos, etc.

• 4. Re: Histogram in Bridge?

PECourtejoie wrote:

Part of the issue is that Bridge supports more than photos. Illustrator, InDesign Files, videos, etc.

i think it should not be a big problem to display a histogram or not, based on the file extension or the file header.

i mean the freeware tool xnview displays a histogram for pixel images and also shows .EPS .AI etc. previews.

• 5. Re: Histogram in Bridge?
                  station_one Community Member

I guess I miss your point here.  Bridge is just an image browser, not an image editor.  What good is histogram in a browser?

You can't do anything to the image in Bridge to alter the histogram, so what would you use it for?

Not trying to argue at all, I just want to understand your point.  Do you decide whether to open the image in an image editor like Photoshop or ACR based on a histogram?  I guess I'm just having a mental block right now.

• 6. Re: Histogram in Bridge?

station_one wrote:

Not trying to argue at all, I just want to understand your point.  Do you decide whether to open the image in an image editor like Photoshop or ACR based on a histogram?

yes sometimes an image can look fine but the histograms shows that the black and white points are not set.
                    sometimes it´s hard to see clipping on small thumbail views. clipping in just one channel is also hard to see without an histogram.

station_one wrote:

You can't do anything to the image in Bridge to alter the histogram, so what would you use it for?

you can´t change f-stop or shutter speed in an image viewer yet the info is displayed by most.

for some that info means nothing for others it´s a vital image informations.

• 7. Re: Histogram in Bridge?
                      station_one Community Member

Thanks for elaborating.