14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 2:37 PM by Stan Jones RSS

Menus for Blu-Ray

Don8000

Can one build chaptering menus that work in Blu-Ray with Encore?  I normally have worked with Final Cut X but there is no way to build menus for the Blu-Ray DVD.  Thanks

Don

• 1. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
          Stan Jones MVP

What do you mean by "chaptering menus"?

If you are referring to a chapter playlist, the answer in Encore is "no." (I'm wondering if it will be in CS6.)

If you are referring to creating a chapter index (make one menu, link a single chapter, the program add all other chapters frm the timeline and create more menus as needed), for bluray, look at create multipage index.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WSf01dbd23413dda0e-3ea68760123ebe30b7c-7fff.ht ml

• 2. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
            Don8000

We produce non-profit educational DVDs that can be quite complex, requiring that there be menus with buttons which take the viewer to various areas of the whole project. These are built in DVD Pro and work great as SD DVDs. Not so if I burn a Blu-Ray disc. Some projects are 4 or 5 DVDs in length so having them all on one Blu-Ray would be helpful, in addition to the better image quality. I'm not a pro so please forgive my ignorance. I think you have told me there is no way without buying Sony's software which we cannot afford.

Thank you for your help.

Don

• 3. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
              Stan Jones MVP

Based on what you have said so far, I don't see why you can't do it. But I do not understand what you are doing. For example, "various areas of the whole project" does not tell me whether you are linking to a chapter in the middle of timeline, or just gong to a timeline.

What doesn't work in the BD version?

• 4. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                ram8kumar Community Member

If you want the menus with the chapter buttons (or they might be said to be Video Buttons), then those should be availbale in the Library panel in En if you have installed the functional content as well. There are a lots of menus both SD and HD and you can use them and modify them in photoshop to fit the project requirements.

-Ramesh.

• 5. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                  Don8000

Thank you for the info.  I generally build the menus with my own background and buttons in Apple's DVD Pro.  I got the 30 day trial for Adobe Premier so guess I got the wrong program.  Encore is correct? 

We do non-profit educational DVDs which can be very complex, so the ability to view individual segments is essential.  Since they are often 3-4 discs long, producing them in Blu-Ray would be helpful.  Appreciate your help.

Don

• 6. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                    Don8000

Sorry to explain so poorly.  The timeline is the whole DVD.  Within it are multiple chapter points to delineate segments of the information.  Than, using the Mpeg2 compression file in Apple's DVD Pro, I build the menus with buttons which relate to the chapter points.  However, if I select. The compression protocol for Blu-Ray, it seems as tho I cannot make menus which are functional on the Blu-Ray disc.

Another gentleman has answered saying there are many available menus in Encore which can be used for a Blu-Ray disc.  I got Adobe Premier's trial.  Am assuming that is different than Encore.

Appreciate your help

Don

• 7. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                      Stan Jones MVP

Encore is available only with Premiere, but is not available in the trial. I believe there is a 30 day money back option. If you buy the current version through May 6, you will get the upcoming version (CS6) at no extra charge. Talk to sales.

Unfortunately, bluray Chapter Playlists are not a feature of Encore. We have no information yet on what changes, if any are coming in Encore CS6, except that it will be 64 bit.

The alternative workflow is to make each chapter its own timeline, then to use the multipage menu index option to create all the menus.

• 8. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                        srukweza Community Member

Don8000 wrote:

Some projects are 4 or 5 DVDs in length so having them all on one Blu-Ray would be helpful, in addition to the better image quality. 

Why don't you try dual layer DVDs than to have a pile of DVDs for one project.

• 9. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                          Alan Craven Community Member

Stan,

If what is said here is correct Chapter Playlists will work in CS6.  Pete Bauer is generally a reliable reporter

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/506859-adobe-announces-production-premium -cs6-2.html

Also see the imporovements in slideshow features.

• 10. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                            Don8000

Alan is correct. Pete Bauer has a full explanation of the new CS6 capabilities. Thank you all.

Don

• 11. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                              Don8000

Sales told me today that I absolutely can create custom menus with buttons that refer to submenus or anywhere within the timeline in Encore that are functional in Blu-Ray.  

Don

• 12. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                                Stan Jones MVP

Sales told me today that I absolutely can create custom menus with buttons that refer to submenus or anywhere within the timeline in Encore that are functional in Blu-Ray.

Absolutely. I assumed from your general description that you are concerned with such things as whether you can link to a chapter on a timeline, and have the end of the chapter come back to the menu rather than play the whole timeline. With CS6, I don't  think you'll have any problem.

• 13. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                                  Don8000

Thanks for all the generous help.

Don

• 14. Re: Menus for Blu-Ray
                                    Stan Jones MVP

You're very welcome.