7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 12:03 PM by saratogacoach RSS

Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin

saratogacoach Community Member

Hi,

I've been reading, looking for a solution to an image conversion problem. If I create and place an image in Illustrator (for example combining a car drawing and the sun-2 items in one drawing), then export an ePub, convert for Kindle to mobi using the Kindle plugin or Calibre, I am getting the second item (in this case the sun) below the car instead of where it should be. I've tried every conceiveable variation: re-did the image in Fireworks as a PNG, re-saved into jpeg, used the AI image directly, etc. I've unzipped the ePub, but can see no way to fix the car-sun problem.

renderinitialwsun.pngscreenshot1.jpg

original as placed in InDesign project                  converted version

Any help with this image problem much appreciated. (Wish: CS6 InDesign exports for mobi).

Regards,

• 1. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin
          Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

When you place the Illustrator image (combined car and sun) into InDesign, it's already one object. When you export to EPUB, it will be rasterized using the Image settings in EPUB export. You should preview the EPUB first before converting to the Kindle MOBI format. You could view it in Adobe Digital Editions (free download from Adobe) or any other free EPUB reader (Reader Library from Sony, etc.).

What does it look like then? Then do the conversion. If it is  indeed one image, I don't see how the conversion process could move around the pixels.

• 2. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin
            BobLevine UGM-MVPs

It looks like it was combined in InDesign, not Illustrator.

Bob

• 3. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin
              Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

He SAYS he combined in Illustrator, but maybe he misspoke: "If I create and place an image in Illustrator (for example combining a car drawing and the sun-2 items in one drawing),"

• 4. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin

Hi Steve,

The image from the ePub as it appears in Adobe Digital Editions:

screenshot3.jpg

I'll try to re-do these just to make sure. But, it's been puzzling.

Regards,

• 5. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin
                  Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

So it looks OK in EPUB, but both the KindleGen method and the Calibre method of converting to MOBI produce the same result? (I've never moved from EPUB to KIndle so only know of these theoretically.)

• 6. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin

Hi,

I didn't combine in the above image in InDesign. The car was a PNG to which I added a star drawing: probably tried it in Fireworks and Illustrator. But, not using InDesign (no star shape tool for the sun).

(However, I originally did combine the 2 separate images (car and sun) in my first attempt in InDesign, which produced the same result. When it converted poorly, I then deleted the 2 images from InDesign and placed a single combined image-probably imported the car PNG into Illustrator/Fireworks and drew the sun, then exported the combined and placed. The combined, see above, still converts with the same problematic result. Is it possible that although the initial 2 images were deleted in InDesign and replaced, and a re-export was done of the newly saved file, somehow InDesign is caching these 2 images?)

The InDesign PDF export's image, like in  the ePub, is fine.

Puzzling result for the conversion.

• 7. Re: Images When Converting InDesign CS5.5 using Kindle plugin

Hi,

OK, I re-did all of the images, removed text below them in ID and instead putting the text labels in the images in AI. This seemed to help. While the Kindle plugin is now failing to export (reference error, invalid object: invalid, which I can't locate), Calibre is converting an ePub export into mobi, and the diaplay is beginning to look better. Some work yet to do (formatting, adding breaks, etc.). Would suggest to others going down this path to try not to add text labels below images in ID, but rather include them in the images themselves. Same with separate images (like the car and sun above). Combine them in AI or another image program rather than in ID. Seems, at least in my experience, to work better for Kindle export/conversion. Hopefully, CS6 ID will improve some of these issues for digital export.

HTH

Regards,