Hi, could you please direct me to where I can find information on how to get Reader X to update from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2? I am running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 and each time Reader tries to update I get error message 1301. I went here: (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/852/cpsid_85259.html) for help and tried both steps (enabling root user and re-installing) to no avail. When I tried to re-install it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r and keeps adding time in the progress window...30 minutes, 45 minutes, 1 hour, 1 hour 45 minutes, etc. This caused the fans on my MacBook Pro to run at high speed due to the processor running very hot, so I quit the Installer to protect my laptop. Is this a bug or issue known to Adobe yet? Thanks.
To update what is going on with this problem: I was contacted by an Adobe rep who asked for a copy of the /var/install.log file and in second email to check the permissions of /private/etc/sudoers (Adobe said they were ok) and a third time for a copy of the /private/etc/sudoers file. I provided all the info requested but have not heard from Adobe in the past 2 weeks?
Here is what I had to do in OS X Lion:
1. Restart holding down Command-R to go into recovery mode
2. Select Recovery HD for startup
3. Select Disk Utility from the menu that comes up
4. Select Macintosh HD (or whatever your hard drive is named) once in Disk Utility
5. Repair permissions on Macintosh HD
6. Restart your computer
7. When I restarted, the Adobe application that claims it was not updated magically appeared as the updated version
8. You might have to run the updater again but I did not due to whatever magic had occurred in my case
Thanks for the input. I've tried your suggestion and several other ways to correct and repair permission I've received in a series of emails from Adobe. None have helped. Yesterday I tried to install the 10.1.3 upgrade and it failed to install. I also tried deleting all versions of Reader and then installing a fresh full version of 10.1.3 and it failed in the same way. I've sent the install.log from Console to my Adobe contact and hope to receive a reply in a few days. The interesting part is I installed the Reader 10.1.3 upgrade on my old MacBook (running Snow Leopard) and then copied it to my MacBook Pro (running Lion) and Reader 10.1.3 now works fine on the MacBook Pro - it just won't install on the MBP?
I am having exactly the same issue, on Mac OS 10.7.3. The 10.1.3 installer hangs at "running package scripts" with the remaining installation time increasing forever and causing my fans to spin up. Only way to stop this is to Force Quit the installer and restart my MacBook Pro. Since no solution is available on this forum, I've decided to install Reader 9 instead.
This could be a problem in your MAC OS permissions. You could try following soluitions to repair permissions:
1. The issue could be with the permissions on "/" the root. Type the following commands:
~chmod 1775 /
2. If option 1 doesn’t work, You may try reinstalling your MAC OS installation.
Back up all data, if not already done. Boot from your recovery partition (command-R at startup) and reinstall Lion. If you upgraded from 10.6, you'll need the Apple ID and password you used to buy Lion from the App Store. Don't erase the boot volume; just reinstall in place. You won't need your backup unless something goes wrong.
The commands were entered using Terminal:
I'm the only user on my MBP so I opened Terminal and at the prompt entered
Terminal then asked for my password, so I entered it and hit return and then entered
chmod 1775 /
and hit return again.
note - there is a space after chmod and a space after 1775.
After entering these commands I exited Terminal and tried installing the 10.1.3 update and it installed. After this I got brave and deleted Reader completely. Rebooted the MBP, downloaded a fresh full version of Reader 10.1.3 and installed it. It installed with no problems and now works fine!
This is what I got in Terminal:
Ivos-MacBook-Pro:~ ibosteels$ su
Ivos-MacBook-Pro:~ ibosteels$ chmod 1775 /
chmod: Unable to change file mode on /: Operation not permitted
I've reinstalled Mac OS X some 2 months ago, with all the troubles that come with that, so little incentive to go over the same process just for upgrading Adobe Reader.
This fix also works for the same 1301 error on osx 10.8.2 and adobe reader 11.0.01.
Attempting to upgrade from 11.0.0 to 11.0.01.
The full installer package or the update hangs at "running package scripts".
The full install was running today and was hung at the same location.
During the "hang" the commands Yachna mentioned were ran and immedately the installer progressed and completed.