• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 10 Crashing when applying conditional text tag

Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

For some reason, FM keeps crashing when I try to apply a conditional text tag to a table (entire table). The funny thing is I have been doing this same thing for three months now with no problems before today, even have two tables in the same document with different tags applied to them and they are working fine.  But when I try to add this one, I crash. I have rebooted my computer and made sure all my drivers are up to date, but now I'm at a loss.  Any help?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

> I am selecting all rows in the table with the mouse and then ...

What happens if you apply the CC to just the table anchor in Flow A.

When you are conditionalizing an entire table, tagging just the anchor is usually easier, and in your case, might be more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Newbie,

Which version of Framemaker you have?

Sometime what happens is the conditional text tag is corrupted and in that situations we delete and make a new conditional tag with the same formatting,however with a new name and than apply it.

If it still does not work,you can copy the complete document in a new document,keep both the document open,click on file-->import-->formats and copy all the formats from the old document to the new document and then apply the tag.

That should make it work.

Thanks

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replay Harpreet,

Unfortunately, it was a brand new tag, but I tried making it again and renaming it, still crashing. As far as importing the document, even if i kept the tags, wouldn't I lose what the tags were applied to? This document is one of many in a book for multiple products that are in the same family, and I don't want to lose all other model information for just one model.

Thanks,

NewbieTechWriter

EDIT:

I have FM 10, but not sure how to check which specific version.  I was prompted to update when i first installed, but not since, so I guess I'm up to date, not reallys ure though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie,

I dont think you will loose somethig as it only imports all the formats,we can atleast try with only one document and test it if that works.

Also try and update the Framemaker 10,it thats not updated.

Thanks

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried MIF-washing your doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie,

If you still have some issue,you can call us on 800-833-6687 and choose framemaker .

Thanks Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My FM versions is:

Tried Importing, I get the tags, but not the text or pics associated with them.

What is MIF-washing? The name "Newbie" was chosen for a reason. I'm the first person in my compnay to use FM and I have been teaching myself from books and forums on the internet.

Also, tried calling the number, and it said it would be a $39 fee for help - I may ask my boss for permission to do that eventually, but not now.

Thanks,

NewbieTechWriter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as .MIF, reopen MIF in FM and save again as .fm = MIF wash; to do a whole book, use the built-in MIFbookwash script in FM10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get this message when I try to do that:

"Filenames ending in .mif cannot be saved in Document format.

Save [file] as MIF instead?"

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the "Save As type" to one of the MIF formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Successfully MIF washed. Unfortunately, still crashing.  Thanks for the idea though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little early for this, but is there a chance re-installing FM would work? Of course, I would have to re-install BookVars as well, hopefully they will let me re-download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of crash is happening? Are you getting any specific error codes? If so, have you sent them in to fmerror@adobe.com<mailto:fmerror@adobe.com>? Is it happening on any document or just one particular one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just keeps thinking - I let it do it for thirty minutes once.  The instant I click on it again, the program stops responding completely and I have to force quit it.  Any ideas?

EDIT:

No error codes, it just stops responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how are you applying the condition? maybe that's what's going wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I'm having a similar problem. I'm using Tech Comm Suite 4 with FrameMaker 11. I have a new HP laptop, and everything was working well until I tried to update a book. I received the message, "Cannot update this book, because it contains no openable or nongenerated files."  All of my files were open in the book, and I have a TOC and APL file.

I tried saving all files to MIF, but when I tried to save back as FM, I got a message, "Filenames ending in .mif cannot be saved in Documetn format."

You mentioned a script for changing Book files to MIF in FM10. I don't see it in FM11. Where would I find it? I looked in File/Script/Run and Catalog.

I also opened a book that I had successfully updated using my old PC. I was able to update the files in that book.

I appreciate any adivce!

Best regards,

Karen Gross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured out if I type ".fm" at the end of the filename when using SaveAs, the mif can be saved as a FM file. Using the drop-down selection resulted in the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completed the Mif wash, and I'm still unable to update this book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

You're kinda conflating several issues in here - you probably should have started your own thread...

Anyways, the book that's throwing the "un-updateable" message - is it from a prior version of FM? If so, open it and all the files it contains (use the Shift key to access the "All" commands), then save them all and close them all. Now that they've been saved in FM11 format, you can try again to open the book and update it. If you still get the message about no non-generated files, try renaming your ToC and generate a new one. If one is created, you can either import your formatting from the backed up one or delete the new and rename the old to match the new name; then try updating again.

When MIF washing, always pay attention to the "Files of Type" droplist to ensure you're opening or saving as the correct type. FM is lousy at remembering anything in this screen.

The BookMIFWash script has to be installed I think, check the TCS blog for details on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I had tried the things you suggest. I ended up making a new book and adding the files to that, and I was able to update the book.

I appreciate your help!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Newbie,

you need not to pay as if now.

Try the number again or just email me at tcssup@adobe.com and  we will get back to you.

Thanks

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, did some testing. I can still create and apply tags in other documents. Is it possible the document has become corrupt and I'm simply going to have to redo this whole document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

possibly - keep the troubled doc open, create a new blank doc and use the File > Import > Formats screen to bring over all formatting from the troubled doc into the new fresh one. Save the new doc and then do a Ctl-A in the old doc to select everything, Ctl-C to copy it and Ctl-V to paste it into the new fresh doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok used import format to get tags and copied and pasted into new document.  Now the new document is doing it. But if I create a new document and just type in "lorem ipsum..." and apply tags, it works fine.  Just tested if I can create and apply new tags in other documents in the same book, and it worked fine. It's just this one document, but apparently when import formatting or when I copy and paste the info I'm bringing over the problem into a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well that narrows it down - try creating new doc and only bring over 1 thing at a time on the Import > Format list to aid in identifying what's causing it to go off the rails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines