11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2015 12:26 PM by dotpage RSS

Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support

Michael_Flynn Community Member

I'm sure I'm being a bit premature but when could we possible see support for the Olympus OM-D EM-5?  The camera is getting in the hands of the consumer (I now have one WOOHOO) and would love to have LR support it

• 1. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
          dylanear

A week later and no one from Adobe can be bothered to answer?? This is one of the hottest cameras at the moment!!  I should have mine tomorrow and I'm pretty disapointed I'll have to use jpg or the sad Olympus software for raw .ORFs.

• 2. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
            JimHess CommunityMVP

Adobe will NEVER answer that type of a question.  If you want an answer, it is that support for the camera will be provided when it is provided.  It's that plain and simple.  It doesn't matter how hot the camera is.  Updates usually come about four times each year.  If it doesn't make the next update then it probably will make the next one.

• 3. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
              dylanear Community Member

Then Adobe should have responded and said that. We are in an Adobe forum right? I don't frequent these forums, perhaps they only exist for customers to speculate wildlly and Adobe doesn't participate. That would be pathetic.

This camera was anounced around the same time as the Nikon D800 and Canon 5D MkIII and I've been able to get one before the D800 has become generally available. So I don't know if it's Olympus or Adobe, but it's just sad it's not supported. Hopefully it'll make it into the 4.1 final release, but it's not in the 4.1 RC.

Not having a matching workflow between my Nikons and new Olympus will be a major annoyance. One of the major reasons I moved to lightroom was for the consistant workflow with many cameras.  I sure hope I don't have to wait 3 months until 4.2!

• 4. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                DdeGannes CommunityMVP

This is a user to user forum so the main participants here are users just like yourself. Not often you will see replys to posts of this nature.

• 5. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                  dylanear Community Member

Good to know. Disapointing.

• 6. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                    dotpage Community Member

2 years and still nothing...

• 7. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                      ssprengel CommunityMVP

What are you talking about?  The Olympus OM-D E-M5, this has been supported since LR 4.1 came out 5/29/2012, about 6.5 weeks after the discussion you’re replying to, now, almost 3 years later.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

• 8. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                        Keith_Reeder Community Member

dotpage wrote:

2 years and still nothing...

Never let the facts get in the way of a good whine, eh?

• 9. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                          dotpage Community Member

Show me where you can set Olympus/Zuiko lens profiles to support it please.. yes LR can read the RAW file, but I don't see a way to add the lens profile to LR... If I need to be educated, go ahead, I'd love the help.

ssprengel, thanks for the link, Keith_Reeder, the kind of troll that you are is what makes forums like this less useful, please shut your mouth and leave the thread. If you you don't have anything to say just be quiet..

IMG_0643.JPG

• 10. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                            ssprengel CommunityMVP

The original thread was about raw support, and your first post out of the blue almost three years later, merely said "2 years and still nothing..." so a reasonable person might consider it an uncalled for troll post in itself, since it was an unspecific negative reply and clearly false in the context of the original thread it was replying to. 

Now that you've explained a little more, the initial question could have been something more like "Why doesn't my Olympus OM-D E-M5 have selectable lens profiles after more than two years of its raws being supported?"

The answer to that is simple:  The selectable lens profiles in your screenshot are for DSLRs not mirrorless cameras because mirrorless cameras have built-in lens support that is always on with no need to select a profile.

The reason lens support is built in for mirrorless cameras like your Olympus and not DSLRs is that mirrorless cameras have had lens corrections already applied on the fly by internal camera software before the image is shown on the LCD panel at the back of the camera and also applied to any JPGs the camera produces, so you never actually see the uncorrected image.  Adobe products also apply this same lens profile to their onscreen and exported/saved output from LR and Photoshop so you never see the uncorrected version.

DSLRs have selectable profiles because there is an entirely optical path via mirrors and prisms from the lens to the viewfinder without any internal camera processing, so the photographer actually sees the uncorrected image, and as such Adobe products make the correction of it optional, with selectable lens profiles, that can be turned off in case the photographer meant their composition to be exactly what the optical viewfinder showed.

To help address the confusion about whether mirrorless cameras have lens profiles or not, Photoshop’s ACR 8.4 and newer will indicate lens support has been built in, but there wasn’t any UI change mid-version-stream in LR 5 to add this information.   ACR 8.x is part of Adobe cloud releases that promises continuous development so it makes sense Adobe adds something to the UI as soon as it was available, whereas LR isn't a cloud product so users have to wait until a new payfor upgrade to have functionality changes, other than new camera support.  One would hope that Adobe adds this information to LR 6 to avoid confusion.

Here is an example of the information that PS/ACR shows in the lens correction area for a built-in profile.  This isn't your Olympus but the idea is the same:

For reference, here is what the uncorrected image looks like if you open it in a raw converter that doesn't have the lens profiles applied automatically, in this case raw analysis software, RawDigger:

• 11. Re: Olympus OMD EM5 RAW support
                              dotpage Community Member

thanks much for the clarification! I really understand now, and sorry for the malformed question/comment!