• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExtendScript Help - Why am I getting "prompt is not a function" error?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RH friends,

I need to search through my 2200+ topic project, find any topics that use a certain image in the source and then open up that file in the wysiwyg editor to visually see what's happening to the conditional markings on those topics. I need to open them in chunks since I've determined there are some 600+  topics that has the image I'm looking for. Seems like something a script would be able to handle. Does anyone have a script that does something like this or something similar?

Anyway, I started messing around in the script editor with a test script to figure some of this out, but I get an error right off the bat when I try using the standard js prompt method to capture a text

string. I have these two lines of code in my script:

var strText = prompt ("Type a string to search for. Topics with that string will then open in the RH viewer.","i_chiclet.gif","String to Find");

alert (strText);

Running it directly from within the script editor, the prompt command works fine.

However, running the script from within RH--which is what I need to do for it to work on the current project to look at, I get a message that says:

"prompt is not a function."

What am I missing?

I'm using RH 9.02.271

Windows 7 64-Bit with adminstrator access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH ExtendScript bug... Use Window.prompt() and it'll work. The same goes for confirm: Window.confirm() does work. Alert() does work however and prompt and confirm work in ExtendScript toolkit itself.

I've never tried opening a topic in the WYSIWYG and I don't think that RoboHelp supports this. You can open a file with ExtendScript, but that just launches the file in default viewer (probably your web browser). I'll look into opening a topic in the WYSIWYG, but I can't promise anything.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Willam. I hope there's a way to do this, otherwise I'll have to manually open up all 600+ files in the viewer --- and that'd be a painful loss of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I found a workaround using a combination of Notepad++ to get a list of filenames with the image in it and then Macro Express to open the topic in RH. Kind of klunky, but it at least does what I need it to do. Very handy tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp