10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 4:34 PM by P Spier RSS

Printing double sided by page count

Krystle209w Community Member

I need to print a large amount of pdf files. Within each file, contains statements for our clients. The boss has requested that these be printed front and back. The problem is that client’s statements are different page amounts some have 2 pages, other have 3,4,5,6, or even 7 pages. If I choose to print double sided and there is a client with 3 pages, the next client's first page will print on the back of my first client’s second page. If my statements are numbered 1of2, 1of3, 2of3, 3of3 etc.. Is there a script or way to have adobe print the way I am requesting?  I have Adobe Reader X on Windows 7 or Windows XP. Thanks in Advance!!

• 1. Re: Printing double sided by page count
          P Spier CommunityMVP

If the statements are individual files they should not overlap when printing. Is this something you actually have experienced?

• 2. Re: Printing double sided by page count

Not quite...Let me give you an example. I have 100 companies, so I have 100 files. Within each company, each employee has a statement that I need to print. When I open up the company file (File 1) there could be any number of employees. And each employee has a statement however the there are multiple statements/employees within company/file 1. So "employee "A" has a 3 page statement that has a page count 1of3, 2of3, and 3of3. ( i will eventually mail his statement to him and i want to mail him 2 pages the first page will be front and back, page 1of3 and 2of3, the second page will be page 3of3 on the front and blank on the back because there is nothing else to his statement) If I print the entire file front/back the next "employee B" first page will end up on my "employee A's" last page. I guess i want Adobe to know once its gets to a page 3of3 or 4of4 or 5of 5 (the end of a employee's statement) etc.... that it should in a sense start a new print job. I hope that makes sense..and again thanks in advance your help is greatly apprectiated.

• 3. Re: Printing double sided by page count
              P Spier CommunityMVP

The only way this will work is if you insert blank pages so every employee has an even number of pages for their statement.

• 4. Re: Printing double sided by page count
                P Spier CommunityMVP

One way to accomplish that automatically might be to set a Keep option for the style of the first paragraph in each statement that says "Start on next Odd Page.

• 5. Re: Printing double sided by page count
                  Joel Cherney CommunityMVP

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... this is not a question about InDesign, right? You're asking how to select 100 PDFs in Windows and print them all at one go using Adobe Reader X? 

• 6. Re: Printing double sided by page count

I was thinking the same thing about inserting a blank page for everyone to have an even number of pages, but given the amount of statements, it would be time consuming. Could you please explain to me about setting a keep option and what that entails? I apologize but i am not adobe savy.

• 7. Re: Printing double sided by page count

Joel, I selected to post this comment in Adobe Reader forum, Adobe is not forte` and i am out of my element, but no i know how to print multiple pdf's at once, just not how i am requesting above.

• 8. Re: Printing double sided by page count
                        Daniel Flavin Community Member

Krystie - See Joel's question

Have you placed pdf's into Adobe InDesign or is this subject specifically about printing pdf's from Adobe  Acrobat Reader.

Adobe has a dozen programs, you may be in the wrong forum.

• 9. Re: Printing double sided by page count

Well i double checked and looks like i am in wrong forum i will try my luck in Adobe Reader...Sorry!!

• 10. Re: Printing double sided by page count
                            P Spier CommunityMVP

Krystle209w wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about inserting a blank page for everyone to have an even number of pages, but given the amount of statements, it would be time consuming. Could you please explain to me about setting a keep option and what that entails? I apologize but i am not adobe savy.

This is predicated on making the documents in InDesign, then exporting them to PDF (those PDFs must come from somewhere). If you aren't making the PDFs from InDesign docs, then you're definitely in the wrong forum.