Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.pdf files won't open in Internet Explorer 9 after adobe 10.1.3 update

Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have re-installed Adobe 10.1.3 several times and I cannot view, open, or save .pdf files.  I tried using Safari and can view and save .pdf files, but I use Int. Explorer 100% of the time.  What is the fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

I am in trouble here myself. I have Vista Home Edition 64 bit.The world was all good until I allowed this update to proceed. I cannot revert to the old (working) version of Adobe because one of the suggestions was to uninstall it which I did.

I have checked to make sure I was using 32 bit browser mode and not 64

Installed/Reinstalled/Repaired Adobe [This installation was a nightmare taking up several hours of troubleshooting]

I changed the settings in Adobe as above and rebooted everything

I can ope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure you are using the 32 bit IE9, not the 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ratbch,

What os are you using?

Do you have safari and IE9 on the same system?

Please try using IE9 in 32-bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikhil,

I am running IE9 32 bit and I never use Safari.  My OS is Windows 7.  Still no

luck on viewing .pdf files or saving them.  What next?

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ratbch,

Is the issue with only Internet explorer or are you not able to view PDF's in Adobe Reader as well?

Are you able to open Adobe Reader without opening any PDF ( i.e. from start-> All Programs)  without any issues?

Also try to open this PDF: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.3.pdf

What exactly do you see when you open the PDF in IE9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Opening the PDF you gave works fine, but there's a host of PDF's I can no longer open, and attempting to do so causes the IE9 tab in question to crash. Examples are PDFs served by online Journals. This is on Win7 x64, of course using 32-bit IE9. Clearly the Acrobat update to 10.1.3 has introduced a bug that causes the IE9 crashes. Like the OP, I can open these PDFs fine in other browsers, such as Chrome (which does not use Acrobat, I believe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you share URL of any such PDF that is causing this behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately all of the sites I have found to exhibit this behavior have restricted access. If I can find one that allows free access I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this one:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226614/?tool=pubmed

there is a link for the pdf in the top right corner.  I'm running OS 10.6.8, Chrome 18.0.1025.163 and Reader 10.1.3.  The problem occurred on the update to reader.  When I go to preferences-> Internet in Reader "Display PDF in browser using..." is greyed out. 

Trying to follow that link in Chrome (or Firefox) gives me either a black screen or a plugin not found error.  Can open them fine with Chrome's built in PDF reader but would much prefer to use Reader for various reasons.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I can open this link fine in IE9 on Win7x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is no problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cheeseboy999,

I think opening PDF in Firefox using 32-bit mode should solve your problem on MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the late reply.  It does work in Firefox but would much prefer to use Chrome as I find Firefox quite slow.  Is there any plans for Adobe to fix the Chrome extension as it worked fine before the reader update?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cheeseboy999,

Please check if the Adobe PDF plug-in is enabled. To do same type chrome://plugins/ in your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I have (with an option to Disable it underneath)...

Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 10.1.3 - Version: 10.1.3

Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 10.1.3

When I open a pdf I get a black screen saying Missing Plugin.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no answer. I can't seem to open any pdf file in IE9. IE 9 closes the program.

Most computer users don't know how to change which IE 9 they are using.

Here is a pdf file that can't open:

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/files/lwcF_PDF_Hamilton_DesignatedFundManagement.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem opening that file (IE9 32-bit on Windows 7 x64, using Adobe Reader XI).

What exactly happens when you are trying to open it?  (Using what configuration?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikhil,

I cannot open or save any .pdf files from the internet.  I have financial

accounts I access via IE9 (AMEx, etc.) and I cannot open or view or save the

monthly statements that are in .pdf format.   I can open existing .pdf files

that were saved to my desktop prior to the 10.1.3 update.  I am using IE9 32

bit. I can open and save the files off the internet if I use Safari, but I never

use Safari and tried it just to see about the .pdf files.

Ratbch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ratbch and Drempfer,

As you have stated that you are successfully able to open the PDF whose link I had provided and are not able to open other PDF's, the issue seems to be specific to kind of PDF's.

Just to figure out what it could be please try to save these pdf's on your system and then try to open them directly into Reader.

What happens when you do so, also please state what exactly happened when you opened them in IE9.

Also it is essential that you share this kind of PDF so that we can figure out the issue.

Thanks,

Nikhil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problem this morning with Acrobat X Pro v10.1.3, IE9 (32-bit) & Windows 7 Pro.  I found that I could access PDFs on www.irs.gov, but I could not open PDFs that were set to download (as opposed to opening them within the browser).

What I did

1). Open Acrobat

2). Select "Repair Acrobat Installation" from the Help menu

3). Rebooted as instructed after it completed its repair

I now have no problems opening any PDFs through IE9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt work for me. But what did work for me was changing Acrobat so that it does not open the PDF in the browser.With thanks to Amanda on the Microsoft web site, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_vista/cannot-open-pdf-files-in-internet-expl...

Found this answer buried deep on a website - and it works!!

Configuring the browser to open PDF files in an Acrobat window
If you want the browser to open PDF files in a separate Acrobat window, then configure the browser to use Acrobat or Adobe Reader as a helper application. Then, when you select a PDF file in Internet Explorer or AOL, the browser opens the PDF file in an Acrobat window instead of the browser window.

To configure the browser to use Acrobat or Adobe Reader to open PDF files:

1. Close your web browser.
2. Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
3. Choose Edit > Preferences.
4. Select Internet in the list on the left.
5. Deselect Display PDF in Browser, and click OK.
6. Restart Internet Explorer or AOL.

Note:The next time you select a link to a PDF file, the browser may prompt you to open or save the file. If you choose to open the file, then the browser opens the file in the helper application that you specified. If you choose to save the file, then the browser downloads the file to the hard disk.

For more information about the general preferences in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader, refer to the Acrobat Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in trouble here myself. I have Vista Home Edition 64 bit.The world was all good until I allowed this update to proceed. I cannot revert to the old (working) version of Adobe because one of the suggestions was to uninstall it which I did.

I have checked to make sure I was using 32 bit browser mode and not 64

Installed/Reinstalled/Repaired Adobe [This installation was a nightmare taking up several hours of troubleshooting]

I changed the settings in Adobe as above and rebooted everything

I can open PDF files on my hard drive.

I can open PDF files on http sites

I CANNOT open or download PDF files on https sites anymore (though I could before the upgrade)

****Of course THOSE are the ones I really really need since I am paperless with the bank, verizon, etc etc.....I tried today going to all the same sites on my IE8,XP work computer with Adobe Reader 9 and viola! no issues. They all work as expected

I elected NOT to run Chrome as it gave me issues before. I only use one browser IE9 and it is Version 9.0.8112.16421 update version 9.0.7 and my windows updater only shows nonrelated optional upgrades available, one of which is silverlight that I have not installed. 

Please Advise!

EDITED - I took a browser test on Wells Fargo and it said I was on IE7. I went to compatiblity settings unchecked the run all that way (I don't think I did turn that on) but it still says I am on IE8 even though I am on IE9 and IE9 says so--somehow I think that may be part of the issue. FWIW I had now problem downloading their "test" PDF file but it was on the unsecure section of their site.

LAST EDIT - Not sure why this did not happen before but maybe it was an IE9 Update - If you to go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and scroll to the bottom there is a check box for "Do not save encrypted files to disk" that Microsoft thought needed to be checked. However, if the file is encyrpted and the block is checked you can neither see it or download it. Worked like a charm when that block is unchecked. So nothing to do with Adobe, all to do with IE9.

Message was edited by: jocoyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the one that finally, after 6 mos. worked:

If you go to Tool>Internet Option>:Advanced and scroll to the bottome there is a check box for "Do not save encrypted files to disk" UNcheck it and voila....finally.  thanks to everyone, especially jocoyn.

Ratbch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasted hours and this was such a simple fix.  Of course it too is now getting buried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines