• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save anything in Photoshop??

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this message display EVERY time I try and save something in my newly installed Photoshop (cs5) "Could not save "filename.jpg” because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file or change permissions on the file or enclosing folders. I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling after resetting permissions, I have tried saving the file under a new name, I have tried adding a new admin... nothing seems to work and my Illustrator is working seamlessly!??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

I'm surprised no one has suggested clearing your Photoshop preferences thus far.

Quit Photoshop, then press Command + Option + Shift on cold-starting Photoshop.  Get the keys down quickly enough and you'll be asked to confirm deletion of your current preferences.

Also, if you're having file format problems, ensure you haven't somehow tied in plug-ins provided by Adobe for a different (e.g., older) version of Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds more like a permissions issue than a Photoshop one.  Ae you saving to a local hard drive or a network?   Check the properties for the save location and make sure they are not set to read only.

BTW  I have had global permissions for and entire drive set to read only after moving it to a new system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for responding. I assumed it was a permissions issue too, but why is it only when I save in photoshop? Not in illustrator? I am just trying to save to my desktop.

Do you mind telling me how to check the properties of my save location (in this case my desktop)? I would really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill, if Windows then: C:\Users\your_user_name\  and right click desktop, but you can rightclick individual files of course.

Seems like the is a Windows 7 issue:

http://itexpertvoice.com/home/fixing-the-windows-7-read-only-folder-blues/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you mentioned Finder I assume you are on a Mac.

Have you tried to repair disk permissons?  Believe that is a mac thing.

Here is a lnk on how to change permission in a Mac.  http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20907

Hope I read you correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I am using the newest version of Mac and using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

I have checked the permissions via the Get Info in the finder folder and still have the problem. This is so bizarre to me. So frustrating. Doesn't it seem strange that it is only a problem when saving in PS and not Illustrator? If it were a general permissions issue, wouldn't both programs be giving me a problem?

Thanks so much for helping me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving the same file to the same folder for both programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have, In general, I use Illustrator to create the file. Save it to either the desktop or a new folder. Then I go into PS to edit and crop etc... But what is happening is when I go to save my edits to either the desktop or folder from PS, that message comes up saying I can't.

I have tried changing the name, changing the save to, I have tried just hitting 'save' instead of 'save as'. Nothing worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is the same with all formats?

If 16 bit can't save to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried saving in Jpg, jpg2000, PS, PSpdf, etc... same story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At a loss.  Perhaps some one else has a new idea.

Did you get your CS5 from Adobe or other source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate all the time you have given me with this. It's been incredibly frustrating for me, as you can imagine.

I purchased CS5 directly through Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issues | Adobe on Mac OS 10.7 Lion

One of those perhaps?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used Disk Utility to repair permissions on the drive Photoshop installed to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I installed it onto my desktop and I have tried repairing that. Two or three times now probably. The program is completley unusable to me because of the fact I can't save anything I create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue on a PC with Windows 10.  My CS6 Photoshop worked well for years, and this past month I have had this issue, making it now useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised no one has suggested clearing your Photoshop preferences thus far.

Quit Photoshop, then press Command + Option + Shift on cold-starting Photoshop.  Get the keys down quickly enough and you'll be asked to confirm deletion of your current preferences.

Also, if you're having file format problems, ensure you haven't somehow tied in plug-ins provided by Adobe for a different (e.g., older) version of Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang - that did the TRICK!  ....had just upgraded to 10.9.1 Mavericks - maybe that caused it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this bug it erases my settings, not preferences. Same thing? Either way it hasn't helped the issue. I can't even save a file that was saved in Photoshop previously. Any help????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

You are my HEROOOOO!!!!! Thank you SO much. Two months I've had this problem... and now it seems to be gone.

Thank you thank you thank you,

Jill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.  I'm just sorry I didn't see your thread sooner.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess we took you at your word.

From your original post  "I have tried Uninstalling and reinstalling after resetting permissions"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Permissions" is not equal to "Preferences". 

I read that twice before realizing it and posting my suggestion.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this problem get resolved JillBT as I have encountered exactly the same on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.5. CS5 photoshop only. I have just migrated from MBPro to imac running mountain lion - CS5 works fine on that inc Photoshop. MBPro still gets lots of use when I'm out and about so do need it..... Any help very welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Yes, for me, Noel's suggestion above of retting your PREFERENCES worked magically for me!

Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines