Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

png image wont convert to cmyk

Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello forum.

i got an icon from the internet which is png,i open it in ps and its in rgb colour mode ofcourse.but i change the colour mode to cmyk and save it

when i imported into indesign,in the link info,it says its rgb again!why isnt it appearing in the colour space as  cmyk?

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Hmm, clicking the link in firefox, doesn't seam to be working, but right clicking and open in new tab does. Go figure.

Anyway, the point of the article is png is an RGB only format and you will need to use another format that does support CMYK, which Mylenium was kind enough to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, clicking the link in firefox, doesn't seam to be working, but right clicking and open in new tab does. Go figure.

Anyway, the point of the article is png is an RGB only format and you will need to use another format that does support CMYK, which Mylenium was kind enough to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Silkrooster already pointed out, it's inherent in the file format. Use soemthing else like TIFF, JPEG or a native PSD.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you bothering with conversion to CMYK in Photoshop?

You can still place that RGB PNG file in InDesign. When you export a press-ready PDF file from InDesign (ie: PDF/X-1a), it will turn all graphics to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello marian,yes that is so true,but.....my lecturer does not want to see any image placed into indesign as rgb even though it will be exported as pdf with  cmyk settings..

so i was trying to use an image that i really needed for exersice in indesign.

thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inquestflash wrote:

hello forum.

i got an icon from the internet which is png,i open it in ps and its in rgb colour mode ofcourse.but i change the colour mode to cmyk and save it

when i imported into indesign,in the link info,it says its rgb again!why ...

This is impossible if you have just used "Save". Apparently you have used Save for Web and Devices - I just checked it and realized that Adobe has made an interface mistake by letting the PNG choice available after unchecking "Convert to RGB"

Anyway, after converting to CMYK mode, just use File > Save, and Photoshop will not let you save it but will ask you to "Save As" where you can choose from all available file formats that can save  CMYK images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even though Photoshop does let you save your PNG file in CMYK it still does not show the change in InDesign. I've been dealing with this problem for whole afternoon, so don't even bother. It is not possible, PNG does not support the CMYK color space, it will not show up in InDesign.

If you have a lecturer, that wants us to use CMYK when we are preparing files for print, but just kindly ask them to understant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines